[net.micro.apple] Franklins and ProDos

jimv@apollo.uucp (James Vienneau) (01/29/86)

Has anybody ever seen ProDos and/or Appleworks run on a Franklin Ace1000?
Are the 2c and 2e versions of Prodos different. If you know the answers to these
questions please tell me let me know!

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (01/30/86)

In article <2b9faf7f.46b9@apollo.uucp> jimv@apollo.uucp (James Vienneau) writes:
>Has anybody ever seen ProDos and/or Appleworks run on a Franklin Ace1000?
>Are the 2c and 2e versions of Prodos different.

first off, there are two  versions of ProDOS that I know about, Versions 1.0.1
and 1.1.1.  They are slightly different.  ProDOS can be used on any Apple with
at least 64K.  It is the same on any machine, so there is no //e or //c version.

The only problem with using ProDOS on a Franklin is that it checks to see if
you are on an Apple machine. If not, it bombs out in the boot process.  All
you have to do is find out where it does it with a sector editor and remove
the jump to the check routine.  Exactly how to do it is in the Febuary issue
of Nibble magazine.  If you can't find it, let me know.  If more people are
interested, I'll post the complete details.

very truly yours,

sean kamath

UUCP {ihnp4,decvax,ucbcad}!tektronix!reed!kamath

And I looked again
And the monster was me...

ldr335@uiucuxf.CSO.UIUC.EDU (01/31/86)

    You ask a question that has been debated and discussed since ProDOS first
came into existance.  One I have also spent much time working with since I
too have a Franklin (1200).
    To answer your first question, as is ProDOS will not work on a Franklin
(or any other Apple Compatable for that matter) due to some ROM checking that
takes place during the boot process.  It is however possible to modify ProDOS
so that it will skip the checking and continue execution.
    The modification can be done one of two ways, either a modification to the
disk (using a sector editor) or to memory each and every time ProDOS is loaded.
I prefer the former, due to my having to do it but once. To make the modification, get out your favorite sector editor (ZAP, Tricky Dick, etc..) and read track
1 sector 9 of your ProDOS master.  (NOTE: This mod will not  work with version
1.1.1 or greater(?)) Change bytes $5B and $5C (hexadecimal) to EA 's.  Write the
sector back to disk and you will have a working version of ProDOS (NOTE2: You
must have an 80-column card in your franklin to run ProDOS)
    Just because you can now run ProDOS doen't mean that you can use AppleWorks.
AppleWorks also does some funny checking in memory before it will load, and the
changes are not as easy as the one for ProDOS.  The only way to get AppleWorks
to run on a non-//e (//c) is to purchase($59.95) Videx's AppleWorks preboot.
This was orginally designed just so that Videx owner's could use AppleWorks,
however it will also work with Franklin's 80-column card.  (NOTE3: Use the control key instead of the open-apple.)(NOTE4: The desktop size is only about 10K)

    I hope that clears up your and anyone else's problems with ProDOS and
AppleWorks.  If you have any more questions leave another note.

                         Leonard Rosenthol
                           ldr335@uiucuxf

god3@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Peter Godwin) (02/01/86)

The problem with most programs written under Pro-Dos (and with Pro-Dos
itself) is that they check for an Apple. - in other words if you dont
use an apple on the program it might not work.

Getting Pro-dos booted in no big deal BUT using Appleworks is
impossible as far as I know.  So if Appleworks is the program
you wish to use, even if you get prodos booted, you will still see
that it is impossible to run many applications.

I had a Franklin at one time but now I use an enhanced Apple //e.

I had, at one time, the locations in memory that needed adjustment
to have a Franklin run under Pro-dos but I must have dumped them.
The process simply involves changing the check that Pro-Dos does
for seeing if the host computer is an Apple to NOP's (EA's)
Look for a JSR to $FB60, or any reference to that memory location
or the locations which this location refers to.

This deals with calling the routine to print the words "Apple //e"
or in Franklins case "Franklin Ace 1000 v2.2" on the top of the
screen (as in when the computer is turned on.

If I do come up with something specifically I'll post it here.

--Pete Godwin

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (02/06/86)

In article <1573@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> god3@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Peter Godwin) writes:
>Getting Pro-dos booted in no big deal BUT using Appleworks is
>impossible as far as I know.  So if Appleworks is the program
>you wish to use, even if you get prodos booted, you will still see
>that it is impossible to run many applications.
>
>--Pete Godwin

	I read recently of a modifying program to AppleWorks that let's it run
on a Franklin.  It was also the one used for conversion to a ][+.  I
forget exactly where I saw it.  I'll try to find it if anyone's
overwhelmingly interested.  Or even midly.

	Granted, Lancaster's style can get somewhat obtrusive, I kinda like
it.  It makes a bunch of boring numbers occasionally interesting.  I
also agree with much of what he says.