[net.micro.apple] There's no net.sources.//e

cds@duke.UUCP (01/31/86)

I was just noticing that there is this wonderful newsgroup called
net.sources.mac where folks post sources and binaries for all kinds of
public domain Macintosh software.  Why isn't there such a thing for the
Apple //+ - //e - //c owners?  And since there isn't one, how do we go about
obtaining such software?  I`m told by *reliable* people that jillions of
public domain programs exist for Apple //'s.  Anybody want to point me in
the right direction?
--

Craig D. Singer, Dept. of Computer Science, Duke University
Durham, NC 27706-2591.  Phone (919) 684-5110  (ext.20)

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (02/04/86)

In article <6859@duke.UUCP> cds@duke.UUCP (Craig D. Singer) writes:
>I was just noticing that there is this wonderful newsgroup called
>net.sources.mac where folks post sources and binaries for all kinds of
>public domain Macintosh software.  Why isn't there such a thing for the
>Apple //+ - //e - //c owners?  And since there isn't one, how do we go about
>obtaining such software?  I`m told by *reliable* people that jillions of
>public domain programs exist for Apple //'s.  Anybody want to point me in
>the right direction?
>--
>

>Craig D. Singer, Dept. of Computer Science, Duke University
>Durham, NC 27706-2591.  Phone (919) 684-5110  (ext.20)
>CSNET: cds@duke        UUCP: ...!decvax!duke!cds
>ARPA:  cds%duke@csnet-relay

	Yeah!  How about it?  Is anyone interested in putting together say
a moderated groop like mod.sources.//e or something that would have
good, reliable public domain software?  It would be nice to have access
to all those good little bug fixes and PD shorties, etc.  Anyone up to
it?  or will this fade away like all the others...

kamath

UUCP {ihnp4,decvax,ucbcad}!tektronix!reed!kamath

And I looked again
And the monster was me...

buehring@ti-csl (02/05/86)

/* Written  9:58 am  Jan 31, 1986 by cds@duke.UUCP in ti-csl:net.micro.apple */
/* ---------- "There's no net.sources.//e" ---------- */
I was just noticing that there is this wonderful newsgroup called
net.sources.mac where folks post sources and binaries for all kinds of
public domain Macintosh software.  Why isn't there such a thing for the
Apple //+ - //e - //c owners?  And since there isn't one, how do we go about
obtaining such software?  I`m told by *reliable* people that jillions of
public domain programs exist for Apple //'s.  Anybody want to point me in
the right direction?
/* End of text from ti-csl:net.micro.apple */

Rather than start some debate about the creation of newsgroups, if
there are PD programs out there to post, by God POST THEM!  Try
net.sources, net.micro.apple, whatever.  The comm channels are in
place... we're waiting.  And if this anticipated deluge is more than
other groups can swallow, then the creation of a special newgroup will
take care of itself.

Ready and waiting,
/Walt/

ARPA:  Buehring%TI-CSL@CSNet-Relay
UUCP:  {smu, texsun, ut-sally, rice} ! ti-csl ! buehring

spk328@uiucuxf.CSO.UIUC.EDU (02/05/86)

 Tell me about it! There isn't that much Apple PD software, possibly
because Apple users don't much support the "Shareware/Freeware" concept
too well, but there is some. Apple Tree Computer Club has over 150 PD
disks, as do a lot of big clubs. A net.sources.//e would be fantastic!

 I run a UBBS in the Champaign, Illinois area, and have about 30 downloads
available for my users. It should be easy to send most of them to the
net.sources for Apple users...

		Benjy Mouse
		University of Illinois

UUCP:		spk328@uiucuxf.UUCP
		{convex, ihnp4, pur-ee, seismo}!uiucdcs!uiucuxa!uiucuxf!spk328
			       {pyramid, pyrnj}!pyrchi!/
					      sequent!/
ARPA: spk328@uiucuxf.CSO.UIUC.EDU
FIDO: LawBoard, Champaign, IL, Net 11 Node 102 (Benjy Mouse)

nazgul@apollo.uucp (Kee Hinckley) (02/07/86)

In article <2443@reed.UUCP> kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) writes:
> In article <6859@duke.UUCP> cds@duke.UUCP (Craig D. Singer) writes:
> >public domain Macintosh software.  Why isn't there such a thing for the
> >Apple //+ - //e - //c owners?  And since there isn't one, how do we go about
>
> 	Yeah!  How about it?  Is anyone interested in putting together say
> a moderated groop like mod.sources.//e or something that would have

The answer to this is really quite simple.  If people start posting enough
software concerning only Apples, then we can petition to start a newsgroup.
However the volume is necessary before the group can be created.  So if
you have something to send, send it to net.sources or mod.sources.  The
more the merrier.
                                                -kee

--
This little pig built a spaceship,
    This little pig paid the bill;

                - The Space Child's Mother Goose

ins_armr@jhunix.UUCP (Rudy M Rumohr) (02/14/86)

>The answer to this is really quite simple.  If people start posting enough
>software concerning only Apples, then we can petition to start a newsgroup.
>However the volume is necessary before the group can be created.  So if
>you have something to send, send it to net.sources or mod.sources.  The
>more the merrier.
>                                                -kee

Or, you could post sources here...some of us aren't fortunate enough to
receive net.sources or such....

Rudy Rumohr Jr.                                   3339 N. Charles St
                                                  Apartment 1-AL
UUCP: ihnp4!whuxcc!jhunix!ins_armr  -or-          Baltimore, MD 21218
      seismo!umcp-cs!jhunix!ins_armr  -or-
      allegra!hopkins!jhunix!ins_armr
ARPANET: ins_armr%jhunix.BITNET@wiscvm.ARPA

Necessity dictates the insertion of an appropriate disclamatory proclamation
into this section of this missive, both for assuredness of legality, and to
satisfy my lust for bombast.

"I've seen sex, and I think it's OK."  -- Talking Heads