[net.micro.apple] termcaps, emulation, and AE Pro.

ant3@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Butch Anton) (02/06/86)

Ok fellow netters, I know that this question has been asked
about 1E30 times, but I don't ever remember a definitive answer
being posted.  So here it goes again:

I have an Apple II+ and a Novation Apple Cat 212.  I am using
Ascii Express Pro.  What I need to know is the following:

     -How in the hell (please excuse the explative) do I make
      this thing work with vi?  Do I need one or more of the
      following:  special termcap def, different emulation
      parameters (be specific as to which is in and which is
      out), and/or a different/new computer?

I would really appreciate it if someone would post the necessary
answers to these vital questions.  I believe that there are more than
just myself out there who have Apple II+/e 's and would like
to use a full screen editor.

Any and all responses (Even if they are incorrect, because it sure
beats no response) will be appreciated.  I thank you, my Apple thanks
you, and the rest of the free world thanks you.  (Well, maybe
not the rest of the free world, but you get the picture.)

--
Butch Anton
University of Chicago

    uucp:  ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!ant3
	   ...ihnp4!gargoyle!bourbaki!butch
    mailnet:  x9.xba@UChicago.Mailnet
    bitnet:  ant3%sphinx@UChicago.Bitnet
    ARPA:  x9.xba%UChicago.Mailnet@MIT-Multics.ARPA
    USnail:  2560 E. 72nd Place           (312) 731-6314 home
	     Chicago, IL  60649           (312) 731-6750 work

cht@mit-eddie.UUCP (Chester Liu) (02/12/86)

      I was once one of the victims of AE confusion before, so I guess
I'll repay apple users with this reply.  I used vt52 emulation with
AE before and it worked, but sometimes the apple or something would
interpret a space as a tab, so the screen editor looked a bit screwed up.
My solution is to use the soroc termcap and to this day, it worked without
fail.  The steps are as follows.

	1) make sure you have 80 columns.
	2) after booting, press U then press S.
	3) you should now be in the terminal set mode.
	4) follow the menu to set input to Soroc IQ-100. (I think it's 4)
	5) set output to datamedia. (Probably choice 6.)
	6) exit that menu.
	7) press U to update macro.
	8) after you log on to the host, set termcap to a soroc.
	9) for UNIX, type 'term soroc'
	10) THAT'S all!  In 10 easy steps.

    ...ihnp4}!mit-eddie!cht

ask questions if necessary.

dcall@dadla.UUCP (Dale Call) (02/12/86)

In article <1597@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP>, ant3@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Butch Anton) writes:
> Ok fellow netters, I know that this question has been asked
> about 1E30 times, but I don't ever remember a definitive answer
> being posted.  So here it goes again:
>
> I have an Apple II+ and a Novation Apple Cat 212.  I am using
> Ascii Express Pro.  What I need to know is the following:
>
>      -How in the hell (please excuse the explative) do I make
>       this thing work with vi?  Do I need one or more of the
>       following:  special termcap def, different emulation
>       parameters (be specific as to which is in and which is
>       out), and/or a different/new computer?

Here is an updated article I posted previously concerning solutions to decent
terminal emulation on the Apple //e, some of which has been updated to
reflect terminal emulation for the II+ w/64K memory.  All of the following
comments result from my testing several programs to talk to a Vax running
4.2BSD Unix using vi.

Specifically about the above problem, try the SOROC termcap entry.  See
below for a discussion.

Subject: A Solution: 1200 baud vt52 or vt100 emulation (LONG)

Using Apple Access II  (only works on IIe, //e, //c)
---------------------
Hardware side:
There was one MAJOR hardware problem: NO WHERE IN THE ACCESS II
DOCUMENTATION DOES IT MENTION THAT YOU MUST ENABLE INTERUPTS ON YOUR
APPLE SUPER SERIAL CARD!  I view this as a consequence of Apple's idea
of documentation.  After enabling interrupts, my Apple no longer lost
characters (real improvement!).

Software Side:
Using Apple Access II, I modified my vt52 termcap by adding delays to
three commands: 200ms delay to the cm (cursor movement) command, 200ms
to the sr (scroll reverse) command, and 10ms to the ce (clear to end of
line sequence) command.  It may be that 200ms is overkill on the
delays, but I haven't had time to tinker with exactly how much delay is
required.  I still have a problem with vt100 emulation, but I'm sure
this can be solved with a few delays added to that termcap.  I set up
the Access II terminal characteristics to use vt52 mode, 8 bits per
character (not sure this makes a difference), no LF after a CR, and NO
wraparound (makes a difference with vi), all other settings were left
at defaults.

Using Ascii Express Pro  (versions available for DOS 3.3, Prodos, all Apples)
-----------------------

Another solution that works (but not quite as well) was to use Ascii
Express Pro in Soroc emulation mode (a slightly enhanced ADM-3A).
Unfortunately AE Pro does not do reverse scrolling on the Apple screen
(which Access II does).  Once again, you must enable interrupts on your
serial card.  A real plus to AE Pro is its ability to work with a large
variety of serial cards - Access II ONLY works with the Apple Super
Serial Card (but thats Apple for you).  AE Pro is also easier to use
with respect to setting up auto-logon command files - Access II
requires a separate text editor ("Just use Appleworks" they say
@#%$!!!).  However, Access II is certainly easier to use right out of
the box - if everything is configured of course!  AE Pro comes in DOS 3.3
and Prodos versions.  AE Pro works with all Apple II machines.  With the
Apple IIe, max baud rate is 4800 (possibly a problem).
Note that on the II+ you have to do funky things with interrupts, see
the AE Pro manual.

Using Softerm 2c  (versions available for all Apples)
----------------

If you really NEED vt100 emulation, the best solution is Softerm 2c
from a company called Softronics (versions are available for the II+
and II, but they use a slot for extra function keys).  It is expensive
($195) but it includes an external shiftkey pad, GUARANTEES 100% vt100
emulation (30 day money back guarantee), and it WORKS!  The phone # is
901-683-6850.  It is available for all Apple II machines.  Max baud
rate is 9600 baud.  It has more features (I still haven't figured them all
out) than any other emulator program I have seen.  It even has drivers for
clock cards (can have it record when you logged on/off I think), various
autodial modems, supports a phone book (just type in the name you want to
call and it extracts necessary info from a database you set up with another
support prog), and LOTS more.  It even generates all the crazy escape
sequences one would get from the keypad on a vt100!

Feel free to email any questions to me, I'll reply as I can.

Good Luck!
Dale Call
tektronix!dadla!dcall

stanford@ssc-vax.UUCP (Stanford N Payzer) (02/14/86)

New number for softerm is 303-593-9540. My specific question to them was
about support for prometheus 1200A and various 80 col. cards. They listed a
large variety of modems they support (including the 1200A) and 80 col. cards
(including ultraterm, omnivision, viewmax, and more.)
--
{allegra, cornell,decvax,ihnp4,tektronix,sdcvax,utcsrgv,largo,lento}! ==>
uw-beaver!ssc-vax!stanford   ARPA: ssc-vax!stanford@uw-beaver

goldsten@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (02/15/86)

I use a vt52 with AE and the only problems I have had are with
losing characters at 1200 baud.  I get around this by doing a
stty nl2 and stty cr2 though this slows down the output.  If
anyone has a better solution please tell me.  Aside from that, the
vt52 option works fine.  Arthur (no cute messages) Goldstein