[net.micro.apple] posting PD Apple software

fitzpatrick@vaxine.DEC (02/26/86)

Let's try this again.  For some reason only the first 1/4 of this message made
it through yesterday.

Regarding posting programs for the Apple, Sean Kamath writes on 10-Feb:

>Well, there seems to be at least a few people interested in posting PD
>software.  I can understand easily enogh how to post BASIC programs, but
>what about ML programs?  I suppose you could send the source file, but
>that might not be possible either from the fact it's not available or
>for a funny assembler.  Come up with a good answer and I'm interested
>(BASIC just isn't so hot anymore :-) ).  (I know Apple's but not to much
>about VAX's & UN*X.)

>Sean Kamath

>UUCP {ihnp4,decvax,ucbcad}!tektronix!reed!kamath

It's possible to create EXEC files from monitor hex dumps that can build the
program and save it to disk automatically.

Example:
--------------------------------cut here-----------------------------------
CALL -151
0300: 20 08 03 A9 87 20 ED FD 60 00
3D0G
BSAVE BEEP,A$300,L$A

----------------------------------end--------------------------------------
If you edit the above into its own file and EXEC it, it will put into memory
and then save to disk a little do nothing program that does a JSR to an RTS
instruction at $0308 and then sends a ^G to COUT (which beeps the speaker) and
then exits.  (Did I get the right addressing mode with that (A9) LDA?  I'm on
the VAX at work and have no 6502 ref handy.)

The program to create the exec file would not be all that difficult to write
and I may see if I can do it in the next week and post it here (sources and an
EXEC, of course).

   Dave FitzPatrick

        ...decvax!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-vaxine!fitzpatrick

        on BIX: B-mail to dave.f
                        (co-moderator, leisure conference)