[net.micro.apple] "apple iix"

188622462@excalibur.UUCP (Greene T Richard) (03/06/86)

In aricle <1482@gitpyr.UUCP> rodney@gitpyr.UUCP (RODNEY RICKS) writes:

>   ...and now it's time for some gossip.  I pass this on NOT based on how
>definite this information is, but on how interesting it may be.
>
>   I have heard (from a friend who has a friend who works at Apple) that
>the Apple IIx will be released this summer.  I have not yet found out
>exactly what the system will be (It WILL use the Western Design Center
>65816 chip.), in terms of memory, clock rate, operating system,
>compatibility, etc.  My guess is that it is the operating system that
>is holding them up.  The way Apple is heading, they may make it into
>another "mouse and icons" type system.
>
>   Has anybody else out there in netland heard anything?  I have a friend with
>an Apple IIe system who is waiting to move up to a IIx, and is dying for lack
>of information.  Please, HELP SAVE HIM! :-)

For some more information, look at the March 86 issue of Nibble magazine.
I believe they devoted the editor's column to this issue.  Some very neat
ideas are put forth as to what this new compuer will have, including the
biggest thing (to me), compatible with the rest of the Apple II family, and
able to read data from the Mac through the UniDisk (3.5" disk) media.

Rick Greene
      ...!ihnp4!psuvax1!vu-vlsi!excalibur!188622462

My opinions are strictly my own, and no other company, person, or other
  sentient being can be blamed for them.

Paraphrase from Nibble Magazine, March 1986 issue, and they also have no
  ties with what little thought proccesses I have.

rupp@tetra.UUCP (William L. Rupp) (03/08/86)

In article <423@excalibur.UUCP> 188622462@excalibur.UUCP (Greene T Richard) writes:
>In aricle <1482@gitpyr.UUCP> rodney@gitpyr.UUCP (RODNEY RICKS) writes:
>>
>>   I have heard (from a friend who has a friend who works at Apple) that
>>the Apple IIx will be released this summer.  I have not yet found out
>>exactly what the system will be (It WILL use the Western Design Center
>>
>For some more information, look at the March 86 issue of Nibble magazine.
>I believe they devoted the editor's column to this issue.  Some very neat
>ideas are put forth as to what this new compuer will have, including the
>
>Rick Greene
>      ...!ihnp4!psuvax1!vu-vlsi!excalibur!188622462

Seems to me that the editor was putting forth some nice features that
the advanced Apple // MIGHT have, not WILL have.  I know as little as
most people about this, but I think it is a little too much to expect
any compatibility with Macintosh software.  Even if it were possible, I
do not think Apple would necessarily like the idea.