[net.micro.apple] MICROZINE tm.

miller@loral.UUCP (David P. Miller) (03/06/86)

I recently received literature on a computer learning software library,for kids,
called MICROZINE, which is sold by a company named Scholastic.
The literature they sent is full of sales hype and pretty brochures, which makes
me kind of suspicious, but the price and concept seem attractive.
I would like to buy it for my 6 1/2 years old daughter. She is pretty advanced
for her age group and enjoys learning a whole lot.
I wonder how many of you out there have bought this software, and what are your
impressions on it. Is it a good value ?. Would you, or your young one, recomend
it to others ?. Does it emphasize entertaining more than teaching and informing?
I would greatly appreciate any experienced input on this matter.

			    Thanks in advanced,  BIG DAVE.

--

David P. Miller - Loral Instrumentation.           /    USUAL   \
sdcsvax!sdcc3!loral!miller                         \ DISCLAIMER /

halff@utah-cs.UUCP (Henry M. Halff) (03/10/86)

In article <1064@loral.UUCP>, miller@loral.UUCP (David P. Miller) writes:
> I recently received literature on a computer learning software library,for kids,
> called MICROZINE, which is sold by a company named Scholastic.
> I wonder how many of you out there have bought this software, and what are your
> impressions on it. Is it a good value ?. Would you, or your young one, recomend
> it to others ?. Does it emphasize entertaining more than teaching and informing?
> I would greatly appreciate any experienced input on this matter.

I subscribed to Microzine for a couple of years wehn my kid was between the
ages of 12-14.  It has a wide variety of software, for example, a miniature
file manager, adventure games, a robot programming environment.  I thought it
was well done, and it held our kid's attention until he outgrew it.  It might
be a bit old for a 6 1/2 year old though.
--
Henry M. Halff                                       Halff Resources, Inc.
halff@utah-cs.ARPA                 4918 33rd Road, N., Arlington, VA 22207