[net.micro.apple] mousedesk

friedman@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU ( -Gadi ) (03/05/86)

Here is a note from a friend of mine.  He asked me to post
it to the net.
                              Gadi
            {seismo,harvard}!topaz!friedman
                  FRIEDMAN@TOPAZ.ARPA
                  RUTGERS!SYSOP  (CMS NET)
                  Call CMS at 201-932-3887
In A+ I found out that for $10
materials, handling, and shipping charges anyone, until 31-Mar-86, can
reseave a copy of MouseDesk for the apple //c or e128k.

Send to:
MouseDesk Offer
International Solutions
P.O. Box 3541
Saratoga, CA 95070-0443

It says to tell them that A+ sent you.

I am sending away for this today and hope to have it as soon as
possible. I thought that other poeple out in Netland might want to know
about it and I don't have the prevs to do so. So if you will, foward to
net.micro.apple. thanks.

					Talk to you latter,
					Phil

owen@dg_rtp.UUCP (03/11/86)

>In A+ I found out that for $10
>materials, handling, and shipping charges anyone, until 31-Mar-86, can
>reseave a copy of MouseDesk for the apple //c or e128k.

What's a MouseDesk?  And is that receive or reserve?

						Karl

--

				Karl M. Owen
				Data General, RTP, NC

des@druhi.UUCP (SalyerDE) (03/12/86)

In article <216@dg_rtp.UUCP>, owen@dg_rtp.UUCP writes:
> >In A+ I found out that for $10
> >materials, handling, and shipping charges anyone, until 31-Mar-86, can
> >reseave a copy of MouseDesk for the apple //c or e128k.
>
> What's a MouseDesk?  And is that receive or reserve?
>
> 						Karl

	Well Karl, check out the article in A+ Magazine, but briefly,
Mousedesk is a mouse-driven icon-oriented menu program.  It allows you
to run a program by simply pointing at the icon and 'clicking' the mouse.
It is based on Prodos and I believe it uses the extra 64K in an enhanced
Apple//e or Apple//c.  They are making the offer because Apple Inc. is
enclosing another 'desk' program (I can't remember it's name) with the
Unidisk.  Just send your $10 to 'Mousedesk Offer' - See the article for
address.

	I've sent my $10 in already.  By the way, I just saw an ad for
Mousedesk at the 'regular' price of $39.95 in this month's A+ Mag.  So
get your order in soon!

	Real Life:	Dale Salyer (Programmer)
	E-Mail Address:	ihnp4!druhi!des
	U.S. Mail:	AT&T Info. Systems Laboratories
			Denver, CO 80229
Disclaimer:	Opinions?? We don' need no Stinkin' Opinions!

hammen@gumby.UUCP (Marvin the Paranoid Android) (03/12/86)

In article <216@dg_rtp.UUCP>, owen@dg_rtp.UUCP writes:
> >In A+ I found out that for $10
> >materials, handling, and shipping charges anyone, until 31-Mar-86, can
> >reseave a copy of MouseDesk for the apple //c or e128k.
> >

> What's a MouseDesk?  And is that receive or reserve?
>
> 						Karl

	MouseDesk is a shell (for ProDOS, I believe) that emulates the Macintosh
Finder, using the mouse/icons/desktop interface.  It uses double-high res
graphics, and it may require the enhancement kit for use on the //e.  You can
receive a copy of it by mailing to the address listed in the previous posting
(sorry, I don't know what it is).  The reason you can get a copy of it for $10
is because Apple ahs more or less put their advertising weight behind Quark's
Catalyst 3.0 in the Apple // desktop war.

Robert J. Hammen		{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!uwvax!puff!hammen
Manta Software Corp.					    !gumby!hammen
U of Wisc. CS Dept.		hammen@{PUFF.WISC.EDU,GUMBY.WISC.EDU}
U of Wisc. Plasma Physics Dept.

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (03/14/86)

In article <216@dg_rtp.UUCP> owen@dg_rtp.UUCP (Karl Owen) writes:
>>In A+ I found out that for $10
>>materials, handling, and shipping charges anyone, until 31-Mar-86, can
>>reseave a copy of MouseDesk for the apple //c or e128k.
>>

>What's a MouseDesk?  And is that receive or reserve?
>
>				Karl M. Owen

MouseDesk is a ProDos operating environment much like the Mac.  Without
going into editorials on whether or not this should be done, here's what
it is.  It boots up like normal, then displays the "Desktop" on which
you will find a disk icon, another disk icon if you have something in
the second drive, and a menu bar.  There are two manufacturers of
Desktop software.  One is MouseDesk, the other is Catalyst.  To combat
Catalyst, which is given out with the new 3.5 inch disk drives, the
MouseDesk manufaturer has made this offer.  It will run with 5.25 or 3.5
inch disks.  However, one interesting (and annoying) thing is thaour
computers can't spit out disks, so you have to tell it you're doing it.
Otherwise it get confused.  A+ ran a comparison of these two programs in
their March issue.  I heard that supposedly one of them will eventually
scan the disk every few (insert time segment here)'s.  That way you
won't have to tell it you're switching disks.

Sean Kamath

[ihnp4,decvax,ucbcad]!tektronix!reed!kamath

Disclaimer:  I don't have either of these programs.  I am not associated
with A+.  My opinions are those of our new black kitten only.  He needs
a name by the way.   Any suggestions?  He looks like his name should
start with a B.  E-mail only, please.....

ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (03/14/86)

In article <81@gumby.UUCP> hammen@gumby writes:
>In article <216@dg_rtp.UUCP>, owen@dg_rtp.UUCP writes:
>> >In A+ I found out that for $10
>> >materials, handling, and shipping charges anyone, until 31-Mar-86, can
>> >reseave a copy of MouseDesk for the apple //c or e128k.
>> >

>> What's a MouseDesk?  And is that receive or reserve?
>>
>> 						Karl
>
>	MouseDesk is a shell (for ProDOS, I believe) that emulates the Macintosh
>Finder, using the mouse/icons/desktop interface.  It uses double-high res
>graphics, and it may require the enhancement kit for use on the //e.  You can
>receive a copy of it by mailing to the address listed in the previous posting
>(sorry, I don't know what it is).  The reason you can get a copy of it for $10
>is because Apple ahs more or less put their advertising weight behind Quark's
>Catalyst 3.0 in the Apple // desktop war.

Both MouseDesk and Catalyst require 128K of memory and a 65c02.  They may
require the upgraded Roms as well, but that's more or less a moot point
since most people with a 65c02 already have the new Roms.
Anyway, they can't be run on the ][+ (strange, since the AppleMouse works OK).
This means there is still an opportunity for somebody out there.

MouseDesk is bundled with the Apple Disk drives in Europe.  Also, MouseDesk
version 2.0 (not copy protected, unlike the $10 version) is coming out April
1, apparently as part of an integrated package with some other International
Solutions products.
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@c.cs.cmu.edu (cmu-cs-c.arpa)	Usenet: ralphw@mit-eddie.uucp
Fido: Ralph Hyre at Net 129, Node 0 (Pitt-Bull) Phone: (412)CMU-BUGS