[net.micro.apple] Need replacements for old Apple ][ motherboards

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (02/27/86)

A charitable institution has a few VERY old Apple ]['s. They all have the gold
power supply. Three are failing constantly, anywhere from 1 hr. to 3 hrs. after
power-on (sometimes even less). I am pretty sure the motherboard is heat-warped
since opening the top and pressing down all the chips (I guess they get forced
up) will restore operation for a while... then you have to do it again.

Since repair is impossible (if that's wrong, do tell...) I would like to
purchase some Apple-compatible motherboards to replace them. All they have to
do is emulate an Apple ][ (or a ][+), and I can even use the old ROMS from my
motherboards to make sure I don't have any compatibility problems. What I need,
then is this:
Three Apple ][ or ][+ compatible motherboards which:
1) can't draw more power than Apple's (I'll be using the old power supply)
2) must be the same shape, so I can stick it in the old cases.
3) must have eight slots, and the standard keyboard & power jacks.
4) must cost less than $150.

Used boards are okay if I can test them...

Any pointers to corporations which make these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alexis
...ihnp4!physics!ccnysci!alexis

jeffm@mmintl.UUCP (Jeffrey Miller) (03/14/86)

In article <228@ccnysci.UUCP> alexis@ccnysci.UUCP writes:
>A charitable institution has a few VERY old Apple ]['s. They all have the gold
>power supply. Three are failing constantly, anywhere from 1 to 3 hrs. after
>power-on(sometimes even less). I am pretty sure the motherboard is heat-warped
>since opening the top and pressing down all the chips (I guess they get forced
>up) will restore operation for a while... then you have to do it again.
>Since repair is impossible (if that's wrong, do tell...) .........

*
Your motherboards are probably OK.  What age & heat usually cause is a bad
contact between pin and socket.  You can remove chips and clean them with
an eraser, or even simply clean them with non-residue contact cleaner.
Sometimes just a real good reseating will cure problems, especially if
pushing them down does the job for a while.  Are you sure that it's the
pushing or is it the cooling off period that temporarily fixes your pro-
blem?
For a large selection of Apple replacement parts try the Computer Shopper
Magazine (out of Titusville FL).  There are ads all over the mag and an
Apple stuff for sale section.
                                     Jeff

        *       Jeff Miller                             *
        *       Multimate International Corp.           *
        *       52 Oakland Avenue                       *
        *       East Hartford, CT  06108-9911           *
        *       (203) 522-2116 x257                     *
        *  UUCP:                                        *
        * ...!seismo!utah-cs!utah-gr!pwa-b!mmintl!jeffm *
 -->    * P.S. I can't *mail* to ARPA but I can receive *    <--
 -->    * from there.  News I *post* should get there.  *    <--
*