[net.micro.apple] Super Serial Card behavior

mcgregor@ihuxx.UUCP (t e macgregor) (03/30/86)

When establishing a link to a mainframe using a basic program and Super Serial
Card standard interfaces, I find that I can only transmit around 200 characters
before the Super Serial Card hangs.  The following program sequence will
illustrate what I'm doing:

	10 PRINT CHR$(4);"PR#2":REM INITIALIZE SERIAL CARD
	20 FOR I = 1 TO 100
	30 PRINT "THIS IS A TEST LINE BEING SENT TO A HOST COMPUTER OVER A
	     DUPLEX LINK"
	40 NEXT I
	50 END

The program  never completes.  After transmitting around 200 characters, the
program suspends. Experimenting, I find that by hitting a Ctrl Q
I can send another 200 characters.  Looking  through the Serial Card manual
including some firmware code, I have been unable find out why this happens?

The same program works great with a CCS 7010-02 card. Any hints?

T. MacGregor

jtjones@tetra.UUCP (Jeffrey T. Jones) (04/02/86)

In article <976@ihuxx.UUCP> mcgregor@ihuxx.UUCP (t e macgregor) writes:
>When establishing a link to a mainframe using a basic program and Super Serial
>Card standard interfaces, I find that I can only transmit around 200 characters
>before the Super Serial Card hangs.  The following program sequence will
>illustrate what I'm doing:

>The program  never completes.  After transmitting around 200 characters, the
>program suspends. Experimenting, I find that by hitting a Ctrl Q
>I can send another 200 characters.  Looking  through the Serial Card manual
>including some firmware code, I have been unable find out why this happens?

Are you sure that the host computer simply isn't sending a control-S back
to the Apple to suspend the input temporarily?  This is what most computers
will do, otherwise the host's or the micro's buffer would/could overflow
during uploads/downloads.

You might try and slow the Apple down some, just to see if this is the
problem.  It won't fix what you want to do, but it might give you some
ideas.

Just stick a line in the program before you start sending data that reads,

12 SPEED = 200   (or 175, or even 150)

This should slow down the transfer rate, and the host should be able to
accept more characters than just 200.  Hope this helps, sorry if it doesn't.

								Jeff
--
Any opinions expressed are my own, and have NO connection with my employer.