[net.micro.apple] Apple IIe/IIc vs IBM PC for Children

gwl@rruxa.UUCP (George W. Leach) (04/23/86)

      I am in need of some assistance.  I am aiding some friends in
selecting a microcomputer to purchase for their children's educational
needs.  The children are in grades 1 and 5.  At their school they use
the Apple IIe for Logo (with Sprite Board for animation) and the Bank
Street Writer (128k Version).  Starting in the 9th grade the students
begin to use Wordstar.  From grades 7-12 they will have an option to
work with the Apple IIe, IBM PC or on timesharing system.

      First, neglecting the extra cost, are there any reasons why
we should consider an IBM PC over one of the Apples for this purpose?
There really is no need for a hard disk.  The older child is comfortable
with the Apple at school and will not even have the opportunity to use
an IBM PC at school for several years.

      Second,  given that we go with an Apple, can the IIc provide
enough resources to support our requirements?  Is there an expansion
capability with the IIc to handle a Sprite Board?  What about the
memory capacity?

      Any information that you could provide would be appreciated.
I do not have much experience with micros and my friends have even
less.  Thanks to all in advance.
--

                         George W. Leach
                         {allegra|bellcore|ihnp4|research}!indra!reggie

                         Bell Communications Research, Inc.,
                         444 Hoes Lane       4B1143
                         Piscataway, New Jersey   08854
                         (201) 699-8639

steve@jplgodo.UUCP (Steve Schlaifer x3171 156/224) (04/28/86)

In article <153@rruxa.UUCP>, gwl@rruxa.UUCP (George W. Leach) writes:
>       I am in need of some assistance.  I am aiding some friends in
> selecting a microcomputer to purchase for their children's educational
> needs.  The children are in grades 1 and 5.  At their school they use
> the Apple IIe for Logo (with Sprite Board for animation) and the Bank
> Street Writer (128k Version).  Starting in the 9th grade the students
> begin to use Wordstar.  From grades 7-12 they will have an option to
> work with the Apple IIe, IBM PC or on timesharing system.
>
>       First, neglecting the extra cost, are there any reasons why
> we should consider an IBM PC over one of the Apples for this purpose?
> There really is no need for a hard disk.  The older child is comfortable
> with the Apple at school and will not even have the opportunity to use
> an IBM PC at school for several years.

I know of no good reason for choosing the IBM PC over the Apple //e for home
use except that a lot of people have to have a "name brand".  There is a lot
of software for the //e already available, and from what you just said, the
kids are already familiar with it.  The //e is more than capable of handling
any of the home computer applications you might have.

>       Second,  given that we go with an Apple, can the IIc provide
> enough resources to support our requirements?  Is there an expansion
> capability with the IIc to handle a Sprite Board?  What about the
> memory capacity?

The expansion capabilities for the //c are rather limited compared to the //e.
Why do you want the //c instead of the //e? You *can* add extra memory to the
//e (up to a megabyte--just buy a card and plug it in; if the program you are
using can use it it will).  Obviously, a sprite board can be added to the //e
(the school has one).  You can also get a card that allows you to run Wordstar
on the //e (I have such a card on mine).  Although you don't want a hard disk
now, such a thing can be added to the //e (and the //c I think) later if you
change your mind.
--

...smeagol\			Steve Schlaifer
......wlbr->!jplgodo!steve	Advance Projects Group, Jet Propulsion Labs

halff@utah-cs.UUCP (Henry M. Halff) (05/01/86)

In article <773@jplgodo.UUCP>, steve@jplgodo.UUCP (Steve Schlaifer x3171 156/224) writes:
> In article <153@rruxa.UUCP>, gwl@rruxa.UUCP (George W. Leach) writes:
> >       Second,  given that we go with an Apple, can the IIc provide
> > enough resources to support our requirements?  Is there an expansion
> > capability with the IIc to handle a Sprite Board?  What about the
> > memory capacity?
>
> The expansion capabilities for the //c are rather limited compared to the //e.
> Why do you want the //c instead of the //e? You *can* add extra memory to the
> //e (up to a megabyte--just buy a card and plug it in; if the program you are
> using can use it it will).  Obviously, a sprite board can be added to the //e

It is possible to add memory to a //c.  Apple provides up to a meg, and
you might be able to get more from a third party vendor.  But there is
no way that you can add a sprite board to a //c.  If your kids are
interested in science, there are some really exciting and reasonably
priced interfaces (thermometers, etc.) for a //e that could probably not
be accomodated by a //c.  (I can check on this if you like.)  On the
other hand, the //c is portable and ideal for an environment where food
and other gooey stuff is around.  The keyboard has a membrane underneath
the keys to protect the unit from spills.
--
Henry M. Halff                                       Halff Resources, Inc.
halff@utah-cs.ARPA                 4918 33rd Road, N., Arlington, VA 22207

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (05/05/86)

	I am an IBM-PCnik, but I recently recommended the purchase of
an Apple II to someone here who asked me the very same question.

	The question to ask is "What computer is in the child's school
right now?" and buy that one. The three years mentioned in the article
is a long time to look ahead.  Three years ago PCs were $5000 and, Macs
were non-existent. Buy for today's needs.

	(And by the way, Apple is just as much a "name" as IBM when it
comes to Micros. It is the machines that differ.)

--

				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner