[net.micro.apple] Apple //e --> //x

cds@duke.UUCP (Craig D. Singer) (05/22/86)

I am curious whether anyone knows if it will be possible for //e owners to
upgrade their machines (at least partially) to the //x.  Clearly a //e has a
permanently attached keyboard and nothing short of a buzzsaw will change
that.  But perhaps the chips can be dropped in place like so many pieces in
a jigsaw puzzle, giving the //e the speed and graphics of the //x.  Maybe
even the sound potential can be upgraded somehow...?  It seems pointless to
talk of selling a //e and then buying a //x, since once the //x is here, the
price of a new //e will be so low that I will have to pay someone to take my
used one away.
--

Craig D. Singer, Dept. of Computer Science, Duke University
Durham, NC 27706-2591.  Phone (919) 684-5110  (ext.20)

ln63spa@sdcc7.UUCP (05/23/86)

Of course, Apple will allow me to upgrade my 64k Apple ][ to a //x  (:-)
(Apple I owners already had their chance for a tradein.)

Grobbins.

kamath@reed.UUCP (05/25/86)

In article <7251@duke.UUCP> cds@duke.UUCP (Craig D. Singer) writes:
>I am curious whether anyone knows if it will be possible for //e owners to
>upgrade their machines (at least partially) to the //x.
>
>Craig D. Singer, Dept. of Computer Science, Duke University
>Durham, NC 27706-2591.  Phone (919) 684-5110  (ext.20)
>CSNET: cds@duke        UUCP: ...!decvax!duke!cds
>ARPA:  cds%duke@csnet-relay

Don't quote me on this because it's from memory, but I believe in the
last issue of InfoWorld Mr. Dvorak mentioned that you could upgrade from
the //e to the //x for around $800.  From what I understand, the //x
will be housed in the same case ( I don't know about the detachable
keyboard) and all that if required is a motherboard swap.  This is
because it will contain dedicated graphics and sound chips, or so I
think.  The //e will be dropped in price for good sales in december, and
the new //e's will use VLSI technology to further reduce the number of
chips on the motherboard.

Sean Kamath

UUCP {ihnp4,decvax,ucbcad,hplabs}!tektronix!reed!kamath

US Snail:  Box 395 Reed College,
           Portland, OR  97202
           (503) 239-7458

Don't know nuthin', just repeating what I think I might have
heard...:-)