[net.micro.apple] Apple II Emulators wanted

clif@intelca.UUCP (Clif Purkiser) (06/03/86)

	Does anyone have any information on 6502 emulators, particularly
Apple II emulators which run on PC-ATs?

	I have seen an Apple emulator for the Mac which provides an excellent
emulation of an Apple IIe on the Mac.  The only problems are the speed,
(about 1/4 the speed of an Apple IIe), no color, and media incompatiblity.

	The ideal emulator would run on a PC-AT, and perfectly emulate
an Apple IIe.  It would be fast (>50% of the speed of an Apple IIe),
written in C and the source would be available for purchase, and it would
be relatively inexpensive.

	In a non-ideal world anything that worked would probably be
acceptable.

	Thanks in advance. (I hope)

--
Clif Purkiser, Intel, Santa Clara, Ca.
{pur-ee,hplabs,amd,scgvaxd,dual,idi,omsvax}!intelca!clif

{Stamp Out Stupid Signatures}

moore@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Andrew M. Moore) (06/04/86)

I think Quadram makes an Apple emulator board -- the Quadboard is the name
(I think).  I'm not sure how it is for speed, but it does have a problem
when it tries to do anything with the speaker (such as running games with
sound, etc.), but like you said, it's not an ideal world..  The board is
for the IBM.

-drew
 arpa: MOORE%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA
 uucp: ...mit-eddie!moore
   us: Box 121, North Quincy, MA  02171

ejb@think.COM (Erik Bailey) (06/05/86)

In article <2180@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> moore@mit-eddie.UUCP (Andrew Moore) writes:
>I think Quadram makes an Apple emulator board -- the Quadboard is the name
                                                      ^^^^^^^^^
                                                      QuadLink

It ONLY runs stuff for the //+ *NOT* //e... --Erik

--

Erik Bailey        -- 7 Oak Knoll                 (USENET courtesy of
ihnp4!think!ejb       Arlington, MA  02174        Thinking Machines Corp.

marms@sandia.UUCP (Mike Arms) (06/06/86)

[There is no such thing as a line ea

> I think Quadram makes an Apple emulator board -- the Quadboard is the name
> (I think).  I'm not sure how it is for speed, but it does have a problem
> when it tries to do anything with the speaker (such as running games with
> sound, etc.), but like you said, it's not an ideal world..  The board is
> for the IBM.

I have a Quadram "Quadlink" board in my IBM-PC. It works great on just
about everything, except for software which tries to muck with the disk
speed. Thus Locksmith does not work. However, all of the games that I
have work fine (ie: many, many games), and I have no problems with sound.
It runs about as fast as a real Apple.

The Quadlink is a true co-processor board. It has a 6502 uP with 64K of
ram on board. You get a ribbon cable to hook up to the regular IBM floppy
drives. Also it handles other DOS's. It runs DOS 3.3 fine, and the Apple
UCSD Pascal system.

Now if only I can get a communication program for it. I'm not sure if I
have access to COM1 on the IBM-PC, but the documentation leeds you to
think that. I can convert files from IBM format to DOS 3.3 format
using one of Quadram's utilities.

Anyone have a comm program for the Apple II+ written in Applesoft Basic?

If so, I would really appreciate getting it e-mail. It need not be
anything fancy, just enough to download from a BBS as I am sure that
I can find more comm programs there than I know what to do with.
It's this getting bootstrapped that is the problem. Thanks.

Mike Arms
Sandia National Laboratories
uucp:  ...{gatech | ihnp4!lanl | ucbvax}!unmvax!sandia!marms

clif@intelca.UUCP (Clif Purkiser) (06/10/86)

> [There is no such thing as a line ea
>
> > I think Quadram makes an Apple emulator board -- the Quadboard is the name
> > (I think).  I'm not sure how it is for speed, but it does have a problem
> > when it tries to do anything with the speaker (such as running games with
> > sound, etc.), but like you said, it's not an ideal world..  The board is
> > for the IBM.
> >

> I have a Quadram "Quadlink" board in my IBM-PC. It works great on just
> about everything, except for software which tries to muck with the disk
> speed. Thus Locksmith does not work. However, all of the games that I
> have work fine (ie: many, many games), and I have no problems with sound.
> It runs about as fast as a real Apple.
>
> The Quadlink is a true co-processor board. It has a 6502 uP with 64K of
> ram on board. You get a ribbon cable to hook up to the regular IBM floppy
> drives. Also it handles other DOS's. It runs DOS 3.3 fine, and the Apple
> UCSD Pascal system.
>
> Mike Arms
> Sandia National Laboratories
> uucp:  ...{gatech | ihnp4!lanl | ucbvax}!unmvax!sandia!marms

	Thanks to everyone who sent me information on the
Quadram, Quadlink board.  I actually wanted a software only solution
like the Amiga product which ran PC software on the 68000.  I guess the
equivalent 6502 emulation software doesn't exist for the Intel architecture.

	The net is truely wonderful for getting answers to obscure
technical questions.  (Even if they are not the answers you wanted.)