[net.micro.apple] Imagewriter II

vfoster@uok.UUCP (06/05/86)

I currently own an Apple //e with a daisy wheel printer. I am in the
process of selling it in favor of purchasing the Apple Imagewriter II.

I would appreciate any comments (good or bad) concerning the usage
of this particular printer.

Thanks.

Vincent Foster
Norman, OK

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (06/11/86)

In article <4500029@uok.UUCP> vfoster@uok.UUCP writes:

>I currently own an Apple //e with a daisy wheel printer. I am in the
>process of selling it in favor of purchasing the Apple Imagewriter II.
>
>I would appreciate any comments (good or bad) concerning the usage
>of this particular printer.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Vincent Foster
>Norman, OK

I have been working a lot with IW2's, and there seems to be a few bugs
when working with Mac's.  However, Apple has not officially announced a
"bug".  This mean that dealers might or might not be aware of it, and
probably don't know what to do about it anyway.

Anyway, the lady I live with has a //c and IW2.  I swear that the
output from the //c-IW2 in elite-NLQ mode is far superior to any output
I have ever gotten from the Mac.  It really is very good quaility.

The doc's that come with the IW2 basically suck.  The quick reference
card tells you more than the whole manual, at least from a programmer's
point of view.

Finally, with a //e or //c you can use the 32K memory buffer.  This is
fantastic.  There is a third party vendor out that makes a 128K version
of it.  We printed a 10 page paper in about 30 seconds.  We could then
continue on with Appleworks as normal. (A note:  Appleworks v1.2 needs
to be configured for use with the IW2, but it's well covered in the
manual.)  Also note the is an official bug with using a 3.5 inch drive
and Super Serial Card.  As you'd expect, Apple didn't follow there own
guidlines when writing their firmware.  They forget to read $CFFF before
jumping to the $C800 space.  This was never a problem until the 3.5 inch
controller card.

One last note concerning cables for both the IW2 and Apple Personal
Modem.  The pinouts in both manuals are incorrect.  Be very wary. It's
important.  Yu'll nevery figure out why it isn't working.  It won't
damage anything, but it will seem like it's working...

Enough.  I would buy an IW2 if not for the fact I have a C.Itoh.  ANd
I'm broke...:-)

Sean Kamath

UUCP {ihnp4,decvax,ucbcad,hplabs}!tektronix!reed!kamath

US Snail:  Box 395 Reed College,
           Portland, OR  97202
           (503) 239-7458