[net.micro.apple] How can you tell if you have an 80 column card installed?

geoff@burl.UUCP (geoff) (06/09/86)

There is probably a trivial answer I should already know, but I don't.
I know I can read SIGBYTE (at some addr or another, I have it at home)
to find out if I am on an Apple IIe, but how do I tell if the computer
I am running on has the 80 column card installed?  I think if I start
hitting soft switches if I don't have the card disaster will result.
Thanks for your help.
--

		geoff sherwood
		...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!geoff

"If your words can't stand on their own,
	adding volume won't help"

steve@jplgodo.UUCP (Steve Schlaifer x43171 156/224) (06/12/86)

In article <1303@burl.UUCP>, geoff@burl.UUCP (geoff) writes:
> [summary: how can I tell if there is an 80 column card installed on a //e ]
There is an ID byte near the start of each slot's ROM space that tells
generally what kind of card is installed there.  The Technical Reference
Manual for the //e describes the signature bytes and what they mean.  If
you don't have the manual or can't find the information, let me know and
I will look in mine (its at home right now).  Note: not all manufacturers
of add-on cards do this right but most seem to.
--

...smeagol\			Steve Schlaifer
......wlbr->!jplgodo!steve	Advance Projects Group, Jet Propulsion Labs

jb@rti-sel.UUCP (Jeff Bartlett) (06/16/86)

> ....  how do I tell if the computer
> I am running on has the 80 column card installed?
>
> 		geoff sherwood
> 		...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!geoff
> 		...![ ihnp4 cbosgd akgua masscomp ]!clyde!geoff

The C300 firmware contains a routine called 'testcard' which will tell.
I don't have my Apple IIe firmware suppliment in hand, but I seem to remember
that it pokes an '*' into 80 column card and tries to read it back.

Jeff Bartlett
Research Triangle Institute			mcnc!rtisel!jb

All the world is a digital stage, and we only play 'bit' parts.