[net.micro.apple] Fans. Cooling ones, that is :-)

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (06/22/86)

In article <3749@decwrl.DEC.COM> fitzpatrick@vaxine.dec.com writes:
>serial card or modem card in there as well.  That's four cards.  Do you also
>have a clock?  Is the machine is up 24hrs. a day?  At any rate, I have seen an
>Apple lock up and do all sorts of weird things because of too much heat.  You
>should try putting a System Saver type fan on the beast and see if that helps.
>One that blows outward from the machine (like the Kensington) is better than
>one that blows into it because you draw cool air in through every opening in
>the case rather than just from the vent where the fan is located.
>
>I have no connection ith Kensington, just a satisfied System Saver owner.
>
>    Dave FitzPatrick
>
>(UUCP)		{decvax, ucbvax, allegra}!decwrl!vaxine.dec.com!fitzpatrick
>(ARPA)		fitzpatrick%vaxine.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

I think a small note here would be appropriate.  Anyone using an Apple ][,
][+, or //e with four or more cards in it and no fan is crazy.  It's
asking for trouble.  I had one friend who always said that fans were
silly.  He, however, never had the top on his :-).  Anyway, they're very
quite (if you get a good one.) and can be vary handy.  besides, they
keep me company at 4 am when the cat and my girlfriend have gone to bed.
The real problem about heat buildup is that you never know when it's
gonna strike, what's gonna happen, or if it will ever happen again,
though it usually does.  If you use your apple for more than an hour at
a time, or have more than three cards, including 80-column card, buy a
fan.  It'll make you happy.

Sean Kamath

UUCP {ihnp4,decvax,ucbcad,hplabs}!tektronix!reed!kamath
ARPA reed!kamath@hplabs

US Snail:  Box 395 Reed College,
           Portland, OR  97202
           (503) 239-7458

P.S.  No, I don't own stock in Kensington, or anything else.  I just
like Apple's, and have nightmares of overheating machines blowing up in
my face! :-)