[net.micro.apple] Word Processors

djz@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Daniel Zigmond) (06/02/86)

I've gotten very frustrated with using AppleWritter II, especially when I
look at programs like Word Perfect for the IBM PC.  Is there some better
word processor for the Apple //e?  I know about AppleWorks, but as far as I
can tell, it doesn't come close to the power of the really good programs for
the PC.  I'd really appreciate some recommendations.

	Dan

Daniel Zigmond
djz@spice.cs.cmu.edu
{harvard, ucbvax}!djz@spice.cs.cmu.edu

halff@utah-cs.UUCP (Henry M. Halff) (06/03/86)

In article <1005@spice.cs.cmu.edu>, djz@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Daniel Zigmond) writes:
> I've gotten very frustrated with using AppleWritter II, especially when I
> look at programs like Word Perfect for the IBM PC.  Is there some better
> word processor for the Apple //e?  ...

Did you know that WordPerfect is available for the //?  I can't imagine how
they make it work without function keys, but I understand that it has most
of the functionality of the PC version.  You might give it a try.
--
Henry M. Halff                                       Halff Resources, Inc.
halff@utah-cs.ARPA                 4918 33rd Road, N., Arlington, VA 22207

julerio1@polyob.UUCP (A1 jose ulerio1 ) (06/06/86)

> In article <1005@spice.cs.cmu.edu>, djz@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Daniel Zigmond) writes:
> > I've gotten very frustrated with using AppleWritter II, especially when I
> > look at programs like Word Perfect for the IBM PC.  Is there some better
> > word processor for the Apple //e?  ...
>
> Did you know that WordPerfect is available for the //?  I can't imagine how
> they make it work without function keys, but I understand that it has most
> of the functionality of the PC version.  You might give it a try.
> --
> Henry M. Halff                                       Halff Resources, Inc.
> halff@utah-cs.ARPA                 4918 33rd Road, N., Arlington, VA 22207

The version of Word Perfect for the Apple //e runs under ProDos, and has most,
if not every important, features of the PC version.  About the only features
missing that would come in handy are the auto-table of contents generator
and a thesaurus function I faintly remember being available.  It runs well
on hard drives and the UniDisk 3.5.  The going price is about $129, but you can
find it discounted to around $90-100 from mail-order houses.
Oh, and it requires a 128K //e or //c..not sure if the //e has to be enhanced
or not..

As for function keys, the open and closed apple keys are used in lieu of
F1, F2, F3, etc... never did dig those things.

Slight opinion: Apple Writer ][ has always been a capable word processor
for me, with the only peeve being the block move (or what purports to be
one) function.  Did Lutus spend so much time on WPL and everything else
that he forgot about enhancing it?  Sigh.

	Jose M. Ulerio
	Department of Transportation Planning and Engineering
	Polytechnic University, Bklyn, NY

	... philabs!ron1!polyof!polyob!julerio1

vfoster@uok.UUCP (06/09/86)

I have found that the integrated package of Appleworks is fabulous.
The Word processor, from my usage of the IBM Writing Assistant with
it's function keys, is superior in use. The accompanying documention
with Appleworks is also clear, complete, and easy to follow.
To me, the best...

Vincent Foster
Univ. of Oklahoma

hung@soma.UUCP (Hung Khac Minh Nguyen) (06/13/86)

In article <1005@spice.cs.cmu.edu>, djz@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Daniel Zigmond) writes:
> I've gotten very frustrated with using AppleWritter II, especially when I
> look at programs like Word Perfect for the IBM PC.  Is there some better
> word processor for the Apple //e?  I know about AppleWorks, but as far as I
> can tell, it doesn't come close to the power of the really good programs for
> the PC.  I'd really appreciate some recommendations.

If you like MacWrite (for Macintosh), there's a program to emulate such
called MULTISCRIBE.  It features pull-down menu and can be used with or
without a mouse.  It has a font editor on the flip side of the disk, and it is
able to convert files you have now (Applewriter).  It uses the double hi-res
screen and therefore requires 128K enhanced //e.  It sells for only $59.95.
The next one up in price in this class is Roger Wagner's, and it sells for
around $150.00.  MULTISCRIBE was written by a couple of friends of mine
at Rice University in Houston (take my word for it, these guys are both
superb students) , and I was among the guinea pigs testing it out.  It's a
quality program.

--
Hung Nguyen			uucp: {shell,rice,drillsys}!soma!hung
Opinions are mine alone.    U.S.mail: Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine,

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (06/26/86)

> In article <1005@spice.cs.cmu.edu>, djz@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Daniel Zigmond) writes:
> > I've gotten very frustrated with using AppleWritter II, especially when I
> > look at programs like Word Perfect for the IBM PC.  Is there some better
> > word processor for the Apple //e?  I know about AppleWorks, but as far as I
> > can tell, it doesn't come close to the power of the really good programs for
> > the PC.  I'd really appreciate some recommendations.
>
> If you like MacWrite (for Macintosh), there's a program to emulate such
> called MULTISCRIBE.  It features pull-down menu and can be used with or
> without a mouse.  It has a font editor on the flip side of the disk, and it is
> able to convert files you have now (Applewriter).  It uses the double hi-res
> screen and therefore requires 128K enhanced //e.  It sells for only $59.95.
> The next one up in price in this class is Roger Wagner's, and it sells for
> around $150.00.  MULTISCRIBE was written by a couple of friends of mine
> at Rice University in Houston (take my word for it, these guys are both
> superb students) , and I was among the guinea pigs testing it out.  It's a
> quality program.
>

> --
> Hung Nguyen			uucp: {shell,rice,drillsys}!soma!hung
> Opinions are mine alone.    U.S.mail: Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine,
> 					One Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030
> "Those who think they know everything are annoying those of us who do."

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (06/26/86)

> In article <1005@spice.cs.cmu.edu>, djz@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Daniel Zigmond) writes:
> > I've gotten very frustrated with using AppleWritter II, especially when I
> > look at programs like Word Perfect for the IBM PC.  Is there some better
> > word processor for the Apple //e?  I know about AppleWorks, but as far as I
> > can tell, it doesn't come close to the power of the really good programs for
> > the PC.  I'd really appreciate some recommendations.
>
> If you like MacWrite (for Macintosh), there's a program to emulate such
> called MULTISCRIBE.  It features pull-down menu and can be used with or
> without a mouse.  It has a font editor on the flip side of the disk, and it is
> able to convert files you have now (Applewriter).  It uses the double hi-res
> screen and therefore requires 128K enhanced //e.  It sells for only $59.95.
> The next one up in price in this class is Roger Wagner's, and it sells for
> around $150.00.  MULTISCRIBE was written by a couple of friends of mine
> at Rice University in Houston (take my word for it, these guys are both
> superb students) , and I was among the guinea pigs testing it out.  It's a
> quality program.
>

> --
> Hung Nguyen			uucp: {shell,rice,drillsys}!soma!hung
> Opinions are mine alone.    U.S.mail: Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine,
> 					One Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030
> "Those who think they know everything are annoying those of us who do."

i second the opinion on multiscribe.  if you like word perfect it is
available for the apple too from ssi (satellite software).

rick fincher  rick@ncsuvm