[net.micro.apple] ProDOS bug??

air@pucc-j (Tom Arnold) (06/17/86)

I have had a problem when running in ProDOS for quite awhile and have yet
to find a cure.  I run a bulletin board system and found that my bbs program
was so large I had to split the file up into chunks and CHAIN between them.
Every now and then, when the program would CHAIN to another section, the
disk drive would just lock up!  Upon further inspection, I would find that
all variables had been lost as well.  I figure that ProDOS loses all pointers
and variable assignments and doesn't know where to go.  I have just recently
been running the board with different software and it has been CHAINing fine
between sections.  But today (and a few times before) it locked up when it
went to list out a text file.  Once again, all variable assignments had been
lost.  If anyone can think of a "cure" for this "disease" please let me know!
If it makes any difference, I am running on an enhanced //e, 128k 80col card,
two floppies, and a Sider 10meg drive (it's for sale by the way).
Either mail me, reply here, or phone me voice or my board.

           Tom Arnold -- Purdue University

        voice -- 317-743-3179
        modem -- 317-743-6762 <--  The Boiler Room BBS

fitzpatrick@vaxine.dec.com (06/21/86)

>I have had a problem when running in ProDOS for quite awhile...

>I run a BBS...

>Every now and then, when the program would CHAIN to another section, the
>disk drive would just lock up!

>If it makes any difference, I am running on an enhanced //e, 128k 80col card,
>two floppies, and a Sider 10meg drive (it's for sale by the way).

>		Tom Arnold -- Purdue University

One possiblility is that it's not ProDOS, but heat buildup.  You must have a
serial card or modem card in there as well.  That's four cards.  Do you also
have a clock?  Is the machine is up 24hrs. a day?  At any rate, I have seen an
Apple lock up and do all sorts of weird things because of too much heat.  You
should try putting a System Saver type fan on the beast and see if that helps.
One that blows outward from the machine (like the Kensington) is better than
one that blows into it because you draw cool air in through every opening in
the case rather than just from the vent where the fan is located.

I have no connection ith Kensington, just a satisfied System Saver owner.

    Dave FitzPatrick

(UUCP)		{decvax, ucbvax, allegra}!decwrl!vaxine.dec.com!fitzpatrick
(ARPA)		fitzpatrick%vaxine.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

air@pucc-j (Tom Arnold) (06/23/86)

In article <3749@decwrl.DEC.COM> you write:
>>I have had a problem when running in ProDOS for quite awhile...
>
>>I run a BBS...
>
>>Every now and then, when the program would CHAIN to another section, the
>>disk drive would just lock up!
>
>>If it makes any difference, I am running on an enhanced //e, 128k 80col card,
>>two floppies, and a Sider 10meg drive (it's for sale by the way).
>
>>		Tom Arnold -- Purdue University

>One possiblility is that it's not ProDOS, but heat buildup.  You must have a
>serial card or modem card in there as well.  That's four cards.  Do you also
>have a clock?  Is the machine is up 24hrs. a day?  At any rate, I have seen an
>Apple lock up and do all sorts of weird things because of too much heat.  You
>should try putting a System Saver type fan on the beast and see if that helps.
>One that blows outward from the machine (like the Kensington) is better than
>one that blows into it because you draw cool air in through every opening in
>the case rather than just from the vent where the fan is located.
>
>    Dave FitzPatrick

I guess I should have been more explicit on the description of my system:

		Enhanced Apple //e:

	slot1:	Parallel Printer Card ---> Gemini 10x printer
	slot2:	Apple Super Serial Card ---> Prometheus Promodem (300/1200)
	slot3:	Extended 80 column card
	slot4:	Timemaster ][ clock card
	slot5:	Sider Controller Card ---> Sider 10 meg hard disk
	slot6:	Floppy controller ---> Two Apple 5 1/4" floppy drives
	slot7:  ***** EMPTY *****

                   "--->" = "...connect to a..."

... and yes, I too have a Kensington SystemSaver on my Apple.  A good fan
and worth the money.  If anyone else can think of why it locks up, please
reply!

    I only had problems with my first two drives.  The first one burnt out
in 5 days, and the second one in a month.  I am currently on my third one and
have been running it 24 hours a day non stop for a year without any problems.
I am currently try to raise money to purchase a 20meg drive, so this one is for
sale if you are interested ($600 negotiable).

  Sysop of the Boiler Room BBS:

     29 message bases
     Macintosh up/downloads
     Apple ][ up/downloads
     CP/M up/downloads
     On-line games
     300/1200 Baud
     24 hours/7 days

Fully validated guest password:

     User number: 96
        Password: GBBS

        Tom Arnold

   voice -- 317-743-3179
   modem -- 317-743-6762

ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu.UUCP (06/24/86)

In article <3749@decwrl.DEC.COM> fitzpatrick@vaxine.dec.com writes:
>>I have had a problem when running in ProDOS for quite awhile...
>

>>Every now and then, when the program would CHAIN to another section, the
>>disk drive would just lock up!
>

>One possiblility is that it's not ProDOS, but heat buildup.

It's a possibility, but it's more likely ProDOS in this case.
Apple has effectively 'recalled' 1.0.1 becasue of bugs, you should
be able to get a new version (1.1.1) at your dealer.  Mkae sure to
get the latest BASIC.SYSTEM, too.

--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@c.cs.cmu.edu [most reliable] Phone: (412) 268-2847 [CMU-BUGS]
Amateur Radio: KA3PLY (c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club) [packet mailbox coming soon!]
Fido: Ralph Hyre at Pitt-Net [may change soon, when I put up a BBS of my own!]

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (06/26/86)

Here is a "real" bug, but it's really not ProLOSS's fault.

If you have a duodisk (it may also happen on any drive) and for some
reason track 0 crashes, it very well could be your power supply is not
strong enough to power everything in you //e.  I say //e because this is
not the case with ][ and ][+'s.  Or even //e's that were unenhanced.  If
anyone needs to know the dates of the bad power supplies (there is also
a bad series of power supplies for //c.  Seems that it will fry your
whole //c after you turn it off!) I will post about it.  Maybe I'll post
anyway...I like the attention....:-) (Actually, rarely do I get much
feedback on things I post...)

Sean Kamath

UUCP {ihnp4,decvax,ucbcad,hplabs}!tektronix!reed!kamath

US Snail:  Box 395 Reed College,
           Portland, OR  97202
           (503) 239-7458

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (06/26/86)

> [...]

> 	slot4:	Timemaster ][ clock card
> 	slot5:	Sider Controller Card ---> Sider 10 meg hard disk
> 	slot6:	Floppy controller ---> Two Apple 5 1/4" floppy drives
> 	slot7:  ***** EMPTY *****
>
>                    "--->" = "...connect to a..."
>
> ... and yes, I too have a Kensington SystemSaver on my Apple.  A good fan
> and worth the money.  If anyone else can think of why it locks up, please
> reply!
>

>              ******************************************
>              ******************************************
>
>     I only had problems with my first two drives.  The first one burnt out
> in 5 days, and the second one in a month.  I am currently on my third one and
> have been running it 24 hours a day non stop for a year without any problems.
> I am currently try to raise money to purchase a 20meg drive, so this one is for
> sale if you are interested ($600 negotiable).

it could be an overloaded power supply try a more heavy duty model from
applied engineering or others.

rick fincher rick@ncsuvm

julerio1@polyob.UUCP (A1 jose ulerio1 ) (06/30/86)

> > In article <3749@decwrl.DEC.COM> you write:

	If you're running under PRODOS v1.1.1, there has been a definite and
publicly documented bug discovered in BASIC.SYSTEM.  Luckily, a solution was
made shortly after the bug was discovered.  If you're technically inclined,
the complete explanation of the bug and its fix appeared in the June and Nov.
1985 issues of C.A.L.L. Apple, respectively.  All you need to fix CHAIN
is one poke before you go on to do anything else.. this poke comes from
the April '86 issue of Open-Apple.

1 IF PEEK(49149) = 1 THEN POKE 41859,3 : REM check for V1.1.1, then fix CHAIN

	The problem arises when the length of the variable tables becomes
an exact multiple of 256.  When that length is achieved, BASIC.SYSTEM tends
to then go on and forget where the variable locs. were to begin with.
This may or may not account for your drives locking up, though I'd assume
if you were doing a disk command that involved a variable (as in the
case of reading & updating user messages) it'd blow up just as well.