[net.micro.apple] Apple 2E/enhanced monitor rom

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (07/04/86)

/////
Hi,

	I just got in an Apple 2E/enhanced computer that is
replacing an older vanilla Apple 2E in an lab application that we
are running.  The application uses an ADC driven by interrupts to
look at a process every 100 cpu clocks.

	Everything was fine when we used regular Apple 2s and 2Es.
Now our application bombs, as the monitor ROM (under DOS 3.3) seems
to do something that regularly shuts off interrupts for 250-300 uS.

	I haven't received any tech info on what goodies the
enhanced version has yet.  (I thot it was just a new CG ROM with
the mouse characters, but they must've reworked the EF and/or CD
ROMS too).

	For my application, I don't give a hoot about the mouse
support.  What I was wondering, does anybody know if I can
de-enhance my computer by putting old ROMs in it?  Anybody happen
to know if the EF and CD ROMs can be replaced with 2764s?  It would
save us a lot of time to burn our own.

	Thanx in advance to any respondants.

Bill Mayhew
Division of Basic medical Sciences
N. E. Ohio Universities' College of Med.
4209 SR 44
Rootstown, OH  44272  USA     (216) 325-2511
...!allegra!neoucom!wtm  (or something like that?)

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (07/06/86)

In article <222@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>/////
>Hi,
>
>	I just got in an Apple 2E/enhanced computer that is
>replacing an older vanilla Apple 2E in an lab application that we
>are running.  The application uses an ADC driven by interrupts to
>look at a process every 100 cpu clocks.
>
>	Everything was fine when we used regular Apple 2s and 2Es.
>Now our application bombs, as the monitor ROM (under DOS 3.3) seems
>to do something that regularly shuts off interrupts for 250-300 uS.

Hmmmm.  Strange.  The new roms are actually much better about letting
interrupt through.  The old roms would turn off interrupts for too long
in 80 column mode, thereby loosing characters at 1200 baud or above.  I
wonder if it's because the new interrupt routines push the a reg on the
stack.  No, I guess it stil shoves it in $45 as well.  Frankly, I'd
figure out where it bombs specifically.  The new roms are worth it.  I
think so, anyway.
>	I haven't received any tech info on what goodies the
>enhanced version has yet.  (I thot it was just a new CG ROM with
>the mouse characters, but they must've reworked the EF and/or CD
>ROMS too).
Like I said, the roms have better interrupt handling.  They also read
lower case, you can search for a address, value or character in memory,
as well as input characters.  The mini assembler is also there.  It's
just plain cooler :-)  The only thing they screwed up on royally was not
putting the new op-codes into the disassembler...:-(  But I got a fix
for that:-)

>	For my application, I don't give a hoot about the mouse
>support.  What I was wondering, does anybody know if I can
>de-enhance my computer by putting old ROMs in it?  Anybody happen
>to know if the EF and CD ROMs can be replaced with 2764s?  It would
>save us a lot of time to burn our own.

Yes, the roms are staight 2764's.  No problem.  Drop 'em right in.
Leave the 65c02, though.  And maybe the CharGen rom.

>	Thanx in advance to any respondants.
>
>Bill Mayhew
>Division of Basic medical Sciences
>N. E. Ohio Universities' College of Med.
>4209 SR 44
>Rootstown, OH  44272  USA     (216) 325-2511
>...!allegra!neoucom!wtm  (or something like that?)

Sean Kamath

UUCP {ihnp4,decvax,ucbcad,hplabs}!tektronix!reed!kamath

US Snail:  Box 395 Reed College,
           Portland, OR  97202
           (503) 239-7458

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (07/07/86)

> 	Everything was fine when we used regular Apple 2s and 2Es.
> Now our application bombs, as the monitor ROM (under DOS 3.3) seems
> to do something that regularly shuts off interrupts for 250-300 uS.
>
> support.  What I was wondering, does anybody know if I can
> de-enhance my computer by putting old ROMs in it?  Anybody happen
> to know if the EF and CD ROMs can be replaced with 2764s?  It would
> save us a lot of time to burn our own.

   This is an odd problem since the manual for the new ROMs claims that
the new monitor does not disable interrupts for an extended period.
The old ROMs would disable interrupts for extended periods while 80 col
screen updating was going on because the old ROMs couldn't tolerate
interrupts except in main memory.  The new Roms support interrupts in
Aux memory by saving the memory state in effect when the interrupt
occurred and setting the machine to a known state before going to the
interrupt handling routine.  This shouldn't take anywhere near 250-300
usecs though.  With the new ROMs the accumulator is no longer saved in
location $45, it is put on the stack instead.  This location is used by
DOS 3.3 and the monitor so storing the accumulator here trashed things.
Your application probably uses a modified version of DOS to avoid this proble
problem.  If your application is looking for the contents of the
accumulator at $45 it will not work with the new ROMs.

You should have gotten the manual  "About your enhanced Apple IIe:
Programmers Guide" when you upgraded, if not see you dealer for a
copy.  It will help you modify your code to work with the new
interrupt handler.  If you are using commercial software call the
manufacturer and see if they have a new version.

   If you really want the old ROMs back, see Don Lancaster's column
"Ask the Guru" in Computer Shopper.  From about January to May of
this year he had a series of articles on installing both sets of
ROMs in your IIe and switching between them.  He had detailed in-
structions on burning ROMs for the Apple. (Sorry I can't be more
precise on the dates of those articles, but you can call Don for
help, his number is in his column).

Rick Fincher