[net.micro.apple] Apple 2 disks

timlee@bnrmtv.UUCP (Timothy Lee) (08/01/86)

> An Apple ][ with software disk control will beat a
>    Radio Shack model II (w/controller) hands down in disk performance.
>
>    * Faster track to track seek time.
>    * Higher density.
>    * Fast transfer times.

     * Much better reliability !!!
       Early RSTRS80M2 disk drives came up with error nearly 1 out of 8
       times with premium disks (with cheapo disks, 1 out of 4).  This
       required the addition of an `external data separator' (whatever).
       One issue of Byte tells you how to build one, and many issues of
       Byte had ads trying to sell `external data separators'.

> Also you can operate the disk spinning backward, or lay down spiral sectors.

How do you spin the disk backward, other than turning it upside down?  Note
that turning upside down, while not the best thing for your disks, is possible
because the Apple disk drive and software ignore the index hole.  Ever notice
that when a piece of software has the Apple version on one side of the disk
and the other has the TRS80|Atari|Commodore|IBM version, the Apple side is
always on the back?  That all has to do with index holes.

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (08/03/86)

In article <569@bnrmtv.UUCP> timlee@bnrmtv.UUCP (Timothy Lee) writes:
>> An Apple ][ with software disk control will beat a
>>    Radio Shack model II (w/controller) hands down in disk performance.
>>
>>    * Faster track to track seek time.
>>    * Higher density.
>>    * Fast transfer times.
>     * Much better reliability !!!
>       Early RSTRS80M2 disk drives came up with error nearly 1 out of 8
>       times with premium disks (with cheapo disks, 1 out of 4).  This
>       required the addition of an `external data separator' (whatever).
>       One issue of Byte tells you how to build one, and many issues of
>       Byte had ads trying to sell `external data separators'.

Two reasons:
1) the old full-height SA350's were, in my book, some of the best drives
   ever made.  Sure, just about everybody else outperformed them in
   storage, or speed, or something, but when was the last time you had
   to do a head alignment?  The only adjustment that they ever needed
   was along the lines of calibrating the motor speed.
2) Another testimony to the design of the (bare-bones) 3470 floppy
   read-write chip.  Of course, Western Digital was more concerned with
   other controller features.

>> Also you can operate the disk spinning backward, or lay down spiral sectors.
>
>How do you spin the disk backward, other than turning it upside down?  Note

Yeah, how DO you spin the disk backwards?  I mean, without swapping the
polarity of the motor's power connector?

-dave
--
David Hsu  (301) 454-1433 || -8798 || -8715	"I know no-thing!" -eneevax
Communications & Signal Processing Laboratory	/ EE Systems Staff

"Get back in the cupboard, you pantomimetic regal person..."

langbein@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (John E. Langbein) (08/07/86)

To Spin a Disk Backwards means you flip the Floppy over to the other
side. Apple drives don't use the guide hole.
			John

greg@utcsri.UUCP (Gregory Smith) (08/21/86)

In article <5517@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> langbein@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (John E. Langbein) writes:
>To Spin a Disk Backwards means you flip the Floppy over to the other
>side. Apple drives don't use the guide hole.
>			John

Yes. Hmm. I know of a couple of problems with this:

(1) In normal use, a floppy turns in one direction only, causing any dust
 in the jacket to  get caught in the lining. If you flip the disk, the
 dust is drawn out again by the opposite rotation.

(2) In a real double-sided system, the tracks on one side are offset by
 half a track from the tracks on the other side, so when a track is written
 on side A it falls halfway between two tracks on side B. This is done so
 that the write operation will not weaken the recording on the opposite side.
 Obviously this does not happen when you flip your disk. This would not
 be a problem for disks which are rarely (or never) written - e.g. most games.

I should add (3) most people do this with SS certified disks, but obviously
they deserve their disk errors which are surprisingly rare.

Point (1) can be minimized by being very careful about dust, which of
course is a good idea anyway. Still, I know several people with large
collections of games on 'flipped' disks, many of which 'used to work'.

--
"You'll need more than a Tylenol if you don't tell me where my father is!"
						- The Ice Pirates

ilacqua@bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP (08/26/86)

In article <3277@utcsri.UUCP> greg@utcsri.UUCP (Gregory Smith) writes:

>I should add (3) most people do this with SS certified disks, but obviously
>they deserve their disk errors which are surprisingly rare.

	IBM SS drives read and write the top of the disk while apple
drives read and write the bottom so, how can there be "SS certified
disk?"

|   See these eyes so green? I can stare for a thousand years...     |
|UUCP:	...!harvard!bu-cs!bucsb!ilacqua                              |
|ARPANET: ilacqua@bucsb.bu.edu                                       |
|CSNET: ilacqua%bucsb@bu-cs      BITNET: engemnc@bostonu             |