[net.micro.apple] DAK modem query

archer@hsi.UUCP (Yrrag Rehcra) (08/22/86)

Munch, munch, munch<<<ACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***
Burp...

After reading MANY postings about modems and terminal emulation software, I
am closer to deciding what I want as far as a modem and terminal emulator
are concerned.

Firstly, cost has been a major problem, but somewhere, sometime I have to
bite the bullet and hook up my 1984 Apple IIc to the telephone (yes, folks,
I'm gonna have to go to the dealer with my "antique" IIc to have the timing
crystal replaced -or whatever that causes telecommunications problems on the
old IIc's, ie pre 1985).  But I've decided that, although more expensive
than some, Softerm II seems like the way to go to successfully emulate VT100
running "vi" on a UNIX system.  There goes $120 - $130 (mail order) for that.
I thank all you net-posters for helping me make that decision!

However, I can't decide on the hardware.  Again, cost is a major factor.
I've read about ADC's new Hayes compatible 1200 baud modem from DAK Industries
Incorporated at $169.  Considering the cost of Hayes modems, $169 may not
be too bad.  Has any one used or seen an ADC 1200 baud modem used on
Apple IIe/IIc's?  The advertising seems very impressive, but I'd like to
survey actual users first!

An alternative is to save my pocket - or rather my VISA card - and use my
Apple Credit card, which is ITCHING to be used since I zeroed my account
over a year ago.  This of course entails buying only Apple products.
Has ANYONE out in net-land ever succesfully emulated a VT100 terminal
running "vi" on a UNIX system using Apple only software and modem? (Especially
the modem because I think I will eventually get Softerm II.)

Thanks in advance for any help.

--

		Garry Archer Esq.		ihnp4!hsi!archer
		Health Systems International

gsg@psuecl.BITNET (08/30/86)

Oh, by the way, the final cost of the modem is $175 w/shipping
and there may be a backlog of orders (there was when I got mine)

I hope I was of some help.

Jerry Gluch
Penn State University

I Own a DAK ADC Smart Duck modem, purchased last February.  I really like
it.  It does just as the ads says.  I use it with an Apple //e with a
Super Serial card.  I have had no problems.  The terminal program I use is
Apple Access.  It does a reasonable job at emulating a VT100, but I do have
some problems.  When I hook up with the VAX and read NETNEWS, I have screen
problems.  I get the first page of postings allright, but when I page for
more, it gets all fouled up.  I am not sure if it is the programs fault,
as when I tell it to refresh the screen it comes out perfect.

   The program works well on the IBM system and our library's computer

terry2@ihlpa.UUCP (Nelson) (09/03/86)

>                                     The terminal program I use is
> Apple Access.  It does a reasonable job at emulating a VT100, but I do have
> some problems.  When I hook up with the VAX and read NETNEWS, I have screen
> problems.  I get the first page of postings allright, but when I page for
> more, it gets all fouled up.  I am not sure if it is the programs fault,
> as when I tell it to refresh the screen it comes out perfect.
> Jerry Gluch

  I also use Apple Access II using VT100 emulation to access netnews through
our mainframe at the labs.  I experienced the same problem as Jerry mentioned
above when I was using Apple Access II V1.0.  Updating to V1.1 solved the
problem (among others).  Version 1.1 is available free to all registered
owners.
--

..ihnp4!ihlpm!terry2   =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-   "All this is
  GEnie Mail: Terry2   |      Terry Nelson      |   because of me

cs2631al@unmc.UUCP (Stefan the Almighty) (09/08/86)

In article <359@PSUECL> gsg@psuecl.BITNET writes:

>I Own a DAK ADC Smart Duck modem, purchased last February.  I really like
>it.  It does just as the ads says.  I use it with an Apple //e with a
>Super Serial card.  I have had no problems.  The terminal program I use is

                              ~~~

A friend of mine in New York state bought one, too.  He had a problem with
the power supply.  Well, when he sent it back, they decided to replace the
whole board.  He wanted to know why they didn't just replace the power supply,
but didn't really get an answer.  So now he is waiting for the board to be
ordered from Japan!  I talked to him a week ago, and he had been waiting for
about 2 months.  This is all second-hand, of course, but I believe it is true.

Oh yeah, he said it was a good modem, but he just was having trouble getting
it serviced.

					Stefan Chakerian