[net.micro.apple] Apple/IBM PC hookup

jld@ulysses.UUCP (Jeff David) (09/05/86)

I have a Leading Edge Model D (IBM Compatible) and an old Apple II+ sitting
next to each other.  Each has a modem attached.  I would like to hook these
two together so that (at a minimum) I could move ASCII files between the
two.  It would also be nice if I could get one to act like a terminal off
the other (as host).  How do I go about doing this?  Do I have to use the
modems or can I use the serial interfaces?  I don't want to have to write
any assembler code.  Has anybody tried to do this?  Is there an easy solution?
Thanks in advance for any help.

						Jeff David

medin@cod.UUCP (09/08/86)

In article <1380@ulysses.UUCP> jld@ulysses.UUCP (Jeff David) writes:
>I have a Leading Edge Model D (IBM Compatible) and an old Apple II+ sitting
>next to each other.  Each has a modem attached.  I would like to hook these
>two together so that (at a minimum) I could move ASCII files between the
>two.  It would also be nice if I could get one to act like a terminal off
>the other (as host).  How do I go about doing this?  Do I have to use the
>modems or can I use the serial interfaces?  I don't want to have to write
>any assembler code.  Has anybody tried to do this?  Is there an easy solution?
>Thanks in advance for any help.

 Run kermit on both machines and tie the two modums together. Most serial
cards can be used with direct connection. On an apple super serial card
turn the jumper block to terminal and the connection will work as if you
had a phone line going. I have connected a kaypro and franklin(apple ii+)
together and ran them at 19200 baud. Boy does the data fly.

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (09/08/86)

> I have a Leading Edge Model D (IBM Compatible) and an old Apple II+ sitting
> next to each other.  Each has a modem attached.  I would like to hook these
> two together so that (at a minimum) I could move ASCII files between the
> two.  It would also be nice if I could get one to act like a terminal off
> the other (as host).  How do I go about doing this?  Do I have to use the
> modems or can I use the serial interfaces?  I don't want to have to write
> any assembler code.  Has anybody tried to do this?  Is there an easy solution?
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> 						Jeff David

Yes, Get a null modem cable or adapter and connect the two serial
ports together.  With communications software you can then transfer
files at up to 9600 baud.  You can Also use the IBM clone as a terminal
for the Apple under Apple Pascal if your serial card is in slot 3.  If
you have a multitasking operating system you could use the II+ as a term
terminal for the PC clone so that 2 users could work at once but the
II+ keyboard is very limited.

Rick Fincher