[net.micro.apple] Apple //e dial-up to Unix.

weisfeld@endot.UUCP (08/15/86)

I have an Apple //e and would like to use it as a terminal so I can
dial-up to work. I have a modem that was hooked up to a VT100. I no longer
have the VT100 and would like to use the Apple. I was wondering if anyone
could suggest software that would allow the interface between the Apple
and Unix. I would want to have full screen capabilities for vi and the
like. I would appreciate any experiences (good or bad) that people have
run into and any recommendations.

	Thanks

	Matt Weisfeld
	Endot Inc.

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (08/18/86)

> I have an Apple //e and would like to use it as a terminal so I can
> dial-up to work. I have a modem that was hooked up to a VT100. I no longer
> have the VT100 and would like to use the Apple. I was wondering if anyone
> could suggest software that would allow the interface between the Apple
> and Unix. I would want to have full screen capabilities for vi and the
> like. I would appreciate any experiences (good or bad) that people have
> run into and any recommendations.

Softerm II from Softronics is a very good package for the Apple IIe.  Be
sure to get the IIe IIc version.  It emulates about 25 different terminals
including the DEC VT 52 and VT100.  I have used it with a VAX running bith
unix and VMS with the VT100 emulation. I have also used it as a Televideo
925 on an IBM 4341 under VM/CMS through a 7171 protocol converter.  The
terminal emulations seem to be flawless.  Softronics is working on a new
version available "real soon now" that will run under Prodos and have
Kermit, including the server mode.  You can get this package for about 120
dollars mail order.  It can transfer Dos 3.3, Pascal and CPM files with
Xmodem and its own protocol, which they give you the fortran 77 source code
for uploading to your mainframe or mini.  It comes with a small keypad to
help generate the function keys of your terminal and also lets you redefine
the keyboard and write macros.  It also has an autodial phone book for several
different types of modems.

Rick Fincher

polish@lexington.columbia.edu (Nathaniel Polish) (08/19/86)

Kermit will work fine to a UNIX system.  You will, however, find a few
problems.  In 40 (ugh) col mode the Apple //e can just about keep up with
a scrolling screen.  In 80 col mode the Apple is so slow (swaping banks
on each character) that the people who did Apple Kermit were looking into
special scroll methods like scrolling all the odd columns then all the even
columns.  Even this was slow so you may have to change the /etc/termcaps
entry on the UNIX system to give it the timing info.

Nat Polish@cs.columbia.edu

medin@noscvax.UUCP (Ted Medin) (08/23/86)

In article <1937@ecsvax.UUCP> ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) writes:
>> I have an Apple //e and would like to use it as a terminal so I can
>> dial-up to work. I have a modem that was hooked up to a VT100. I no longer
>> have the VT100 and would like to use the Apple. I was wondering if anyone
>> could suggest software that would allow the interface between the Apple
>> and Unix. I would want to have full screen capabilities for vi and the
>> like. I would appreciate any experiences (good or bad) that people have
>> run into and any recommendations.

 Kermit will emulate a vt52 and the price is right. I use it all the time
to our unix systems. Running vi jove etc.

samples@renoir.Berkeley.EDU (A. Dain Samples) (09/05/86)

I use Softerm II and find it to be one of the better products I use on
my Apple //e: reliable, acceptably fast, ...

    **** WITH ONE MAJOR EXCEPTION! ***

and that is the *&&*$%^@^% card taking up a slot.

I am slot starved!

Does any one know of any patches/versions/whatevers that can let me
run this otherwise acceptable piece of software without the buttons?
E.g., replacing s1 and s2 with open-apple and closed-apple?
(But what about s3? I don't use it, do you?)

Dain
A. Dain Samples, 573 Evans, UC Berkeley, samples@kim.berkeley.edu
``The harder I work, the luckier I get.''  Mark Twain

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (09/08/86)

> I use Softerm II and find it to be one of the better products I use on
> my Apple //e: reliable, acceptably fast, ...
>
>     **** WITH ONE MAJOR EXCEPTION! ***
>
> and that is the *&&*$%^@^% card taking up a slot.
>
> I am slot starved!
>
> Does any one know of any patches/versions/whatevers that can let me
> run this otherwise acceptable piece of software without the buttons?
> E.g., replacing s1 and s2 with open-apple and closed-apple?
> (But what about s3? I don't use it, do you?)

Yes!  Upgrade to the IIe/IIc version.  It no longer uses a slot card.
The new version has a 3 button keypad thhat plugs in the 9-pin joystick
port.  Open Apple and closed Apple can be used for S1 and S2, I use
keyboard redefinition to map the S3 commands into other things.  You
also get a larger text buffer because 128K is used (in fact I think
you have to have 128K to use this version).

Rick Fincher

des@druhi.UUCP (SalyerDE) (09/10/86)

In article <2015@ecsvax.UUCP>, ranger@ecsvax.UUCP writes:
> > I use Softerm II and find it to be one of the better products I use on
> > my Apple //e: reliable, acceptably fast, ...

	... more text about using up a slot in the apple

> > I am slot starved!
>
> Yes!  Upgrade to the IIe/IIc version.  It no longer uses a slot card.
> The new version has a 3 button keypad that plugs in the 9-pin joystick
> port.  Open Apple and closed Apple can be used for S1 and S2, ....

	One slight 'problem' (unless you remember this) is that other things
might be plugged into the joystick port, and you know about 'out of sight,
out of mind'.  I had a problem with Softerm II (the //e version) the other
day, it was acting very erratic.  I finally figured out what was wrong.
Recently I bought a voice recognition/recording system which uses the
joystick port for voice input.  Whenever the noise level in the room changed
it would exceed the threshold of the system, and 'push' the 's1' button!
So of course, Softerm was getting confused!

	So watch out what you have plugged into your joystick port when
you use the new Softerm II !

	Real Life?:	Dale Salyer (Programmer)
	E-Mail Address:	...!ihnp4!druhi!des
	U.S. Mail:	AT&T Info. Systems Laboratories
			Rm. 8Z326
			Denver, CO 80229
			(303) - 538-4907