[net.micro.apple] Orphaned Response

tower@inmet.UUCP (03/21/84)

#R:unc:-687300:inmet:17900009:177600:327
inmet!tower    Mar 19 23:06:00 1984

Please move this discussion of net.micro.lisa to:
        net.news.group
You would stand a much higher chance of getting another
group, as well as fa.info-mac

BTW, I would prefer net.micro.ap32
Apple is calling the Mac/Lisa2 family of computers the
Apple 32 Systems.

-len tower        harpo!inmet!tower        Cambridge, MA

jsmcginn@uok.UUCP (09/19/84)

    You really do have problems.  I have transfered most ov my apsoft files
to PRODOS with no problems at all.  It sounds like your problem is in
the CONVERT program, although mine doesn't involk trace it will sometimes
die in the middle of a transfer.  The only thing I can suggest is to go to your
dealer and try a different copy of CONVERT.

not0032@acf4.UUCP (10/30/84)

<>
yes yes yes!
i have been looking for a terminal emulator program for the ][c
so that the 1200 baud modem i bought for it will be of some use.  yes,
you can in fact use the ][c at 1200 baud, but only with apple's own
modem (something about the clock or the architecture of the ][c, i'm
not sufficiently computer literate to explain it). if you can supply the
program, i'd be more than happy to test it!

allison  allegra!cmcl2!acf4!not0032

marc@hpfcma.UUCP (marc) (04/10/85)

Andrew:

While I appreciate the vehemence of your desires to prevent Macintosh-only
entries for this notes group, a little understanding would be nice.  I do
not get net.micro.mac (or whatever), and have been trying to for a couple
of months.  Since I don't, I look to this notes group for information.

Marc McKenzie
hpfcla!marc
303/226-3800 x3488

sei239@uiucuxa.Uiuc.ARPA (09/12/85)

I don't have the instruction manual anymore, but I can answer any questions
regarding the game.
                       Steve Ikenn U. of Ill. (217)328-2914

ldr292@uiucuxa.Uiuc.ARPA (09/19/85)

  I personally have worked with TASC, Einstein, and with SpeedStar and found
that Einstein is probably the best.  As you stated though, It's no longer
being sold.  Oh well.  However I'll tell you why I like it over TASC.

     The TASC compiler runs through a three stage compilation, first it
check for bugs or errors it the program that it can't compile.  Then it
,if there are no errors, starts compilation (stage 2) and third it compacts
the code and writes it to a file.
     This file is a binary file and can only be BRUN after another file
RUNTIME has been BLOADed into memory. This is a real pain!!!

     Einstein however completes compilation in one pass (and also will compile
commands such as graphics) that TASC has problems with.  After compilation
Einstein writes the compiled file as a fake APPLESOFT file.  In other words
it fool the computer into thinking that the compiled file is really in BASIC.
It sort of is.  If you try to list it you will see only one line, that looks
like this:
                     CALL XXXXXX

     What this means is that the compilied program resides about $805 in memory
and that the program CALLs it.  Much more effiecient.  and its faster!!!!!

     If you get desperate I may be able to up load the Einstien File.  (I
deprotected my original so that I can load my file, then BRUN Einstein, then
save the new file.  Its so much easier than the other way.

                                                   Leonard Rosenthol
uiucuxa
... An Apple a day keeps IBM away.....

ldr292@uiucuxa.Uiuc.ARPA (09/19/85)

   Have you tried reading the HOMEWORD.HELP file on the original disk?

... Look for a worm in your Apple.....

                                 Leonard Rosenthol

flaps@utcs.uucp (Alan J Rosenthal) (09/23/85)

In article <9800008@uiucuxa> ldr292@uiucuxa.Uiuc.ARPA writes:
>     This file is a binary file and can only be BRUN after another file
>RUNTIME has been BLOADed into memory. This is a real pain!!!

Actually, all you have to do is prepend your program with a
PRINT CHR$(4);"BLOAD <whatever>" before compiling.  It IS annoying,
though, because:
	1) you have to compile a (slightly) different version of your
		program than the one you tested
	2) you have to copy the <whatever> file to any disk you want to
		run your compiled program off of.
Actually, I think I am going to take a crack at designing a Nice operating
system for apple over the next few weeks/months.  You know, every time you
want to run a new program just about, you reboot the system, which is silly,
and every program has its own data format, which is silly (& incompatible),
etc.

david@prism.UUCP (10/21/85)

	No, the *65802* is pin-compatible with the 6502.  It
	achieves this by ignoring the bank address on its internal
	bus.  It is otherwise a 65816, and is
	always generating 24-bit addresses internally,
	but they are not propagated to the outside world on the
	65802.  In addition to not being 6502 compatible because
	the bank address is multiplexed over the data pins, the
	65816 also lacks some of the clock signals of the 6502, and
	includes several new signals (notably ABORT, Vector Pull
	(is an interrupt vector being addressed?), M/X (status of
	m and x bits in status register), E (emulation or native mode),
	and VPA and VDA (valid program and valid data address).

	As to whether the 65802 will work in all apples, the answer
	seems to be: to the same extent as the 65C02 has worked in
	all apples, which is to say, all //e's and //c's, and some II's
	and II+'s.  A recent issue of "Apple Assembly Lines"
	has an analysis of this problem, which is due to timing differences,
	which can (apparently) been overcome by replacing some of the
	parts used in the timing signal generation.

	My own experience has been that 65802 has worked in both
	my //e and my II+, but then the 65C02 worked in my II+ also.

--

David Eyes	{mit-eddie, ihnp4!inmet, wjh12, cca, datacube} !mirror!david
Mirror Systems	2067 Massachusetts Ave.

knowles@ada-uts.UUCP (12/06/85)

I would be interested in your Kermit. Please send your uucp or
arpa address so I can contact via e-mail.

thanks        Dick Knowles  Intermetrics
                            ihnp4!inmet!ada-uts!knowles

vfoster@uok.UUCP (01/23/86)

this is vincent. writing to himself. this is bad.

jperkins@uok.UUCP (03/18/86)

>>   I have heard (from a friend who has a friend who works at Apple) that
>>the Apple IIx will be released this summer.  I have not yet found out
>>exactly what the system will be (It WILL use the Western Design Center
>>
>For some more information, look at the March 86 issue of Nibble magazine.
>I believe they devoted the editor's column to this issue.  Some very neat
>ideas are put forth as to what this new compuer will have, including the
>
>Rick Greene
>      ...!ihnp4!psuvax1!vu-vlsi!excalibur!188622462

*Seems to me that the editor was putting forth some nice features that
*the advanced Apple // MIGHT have, not WILL have.  I know as little as
*most people about this, but I think it is a little too much to expect
*any compatibility with Macintosh software.  Even if it were possible, I
*do not think Apple would necessarily like the idea.

I believe Infocom also mentioned the //x having the capability of reading Macintosh data. This is either coincidental or these magazines have sources from which they get these messages.

                    The Doctor

p40001@mcomp.UUCP (07/03/86)

Why have everybody reply directly by mail? I'm sure info on an
Apple Kermit would be of great interest to other Apple users on the
net.

So, please post to the net if you are aware of an Apple Kermit!

Thanks!

Wolf N. Paul, 290 Dogwood, Plano, Tx. 75075
UUCP:   { convex, infoswx, texsun!rrm }!mcomp!p40001
BIX: wnp    Phone: (214) 578-8023  W.U.ESL: 6283-2882

hung@soma.UUCP (07/11/86)

In article <10100005@mcomp>, p40001@mcomp.UUCP writes:
> So, please post to the net if you are aware of an Apple Kermit!
> Wolf N. Paul, 290 Dogwood, Plano, Tx. 75075
> UUCP:   { convex, infoswx, texsun!rrm }!mcomp!p40001
> BIX: wnp    Phone: (214) 578-8023  W.U.ESL: 6283-2882

This info from Stan Barber:

Apple II-family Kermit is available from Stevens Institute of Techonology
(in New York ?).  Also, Mac owners can get Kermit from Columbia University
(in New York, definitely!).

Inqueries should be directed to  info-kermit request@CU20B.ARPA

--
Hung Nguyen			uucp: {shell,rice,drillsys}!soma!hung
Opinions are mine alone.    U.S.mail: Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine,

langbein@topaz.UUCP (07/12/86)

What I said in the header. (Sorry for that. I am still learning the
system.)

langbein@topaz.UUCP (07/12/86)

sorry! My response did not appear properly in the last reply.
Stephens Institue is in New Jersey. I said that in the las summary,
but I didn't see it. It made me sound sarcastic, and I'm sorry.
                                           John Langbein
"my Governor Can't say 'New Jersey'. Can Yours?
p.s.: for those who didn't understand the significanse of the above
line, I'm from New Jersey.

mike@ntvax.UUCP (09/11/86)

	IBM SS drives read and write the top of the disk while apple
drives read and write the bottom so, how can there be "SS certified
disk?"
IBM SS drives DO NOT read and write the "top " of the disk. They have
one r/w head which is mounted on the bottom and there is merely a
pressure pad on top where the second r/w head would go. Take one
apart sometime and look at it.