[net.micro.apple] Apple ][ to Unix?

evans@mhuxt.UUCP (crandall) (09/26/86)

This has probably been asked/answered a thousand times, but I don't look
at this group...

Is there any package for Apple ][ <--> Unix communications, in particular
for uploading Apple ][ files to a Unix machine?

Please respond by mail..

thanks

Steve Crandall
ihnp4!mhuxt!evans

c55-gc@buddy.Berkeley.EDU (Augie Kuo) (10/01/86)

In article <1133@mhuxt.UUCP> evans@mhuxt.UUCP writes:
>This has probably been asked/answered a thousand times, but I don't look
>at this group...
>
>Is there any package for Apple ][ <--> Unix communications, in particular
>for uploading Apple ][ files to a Unix machine?

Since UNIX does not support XMODEM, YMODEM, etc. you'll have to do ASCII
transfers. If you have AE pro, it makes life a lot easier.  To download,
just put your copy buffer on (if it is a long file use the auto-write) &
cat the file or whatever. To upload something, you'll have to send  your
file in  ASCII format.  Go into your  favorite  editor ( remember to set
the autoindent to 0) and then use the AE command "S" to send in standard
line form; remember to save the file after you're done.  One more thing,
if your text editor can't handle 1200 baud, since most people don't type
that fast, use the "<" key to slow down the transfer.

Hope this will work for you, and if anyone DOES have XMODEM, etc.  for
UNIX I'd like a copy of it. Thanks

Augie Kuo   -  c55-gc@buddy.berkeley.edu
	       kuo@miro.berkeley.edu

williams@vu-vlsi.UUCP (Thomas Williams) (10/04/86)

	Many, many, UNIX machines have an X/YMODEM program.  Usually they are
called rb and sb.  Of course if you don't have one for the UNIX machine,
don't dispair, XMODEM is very simple to write (YMODEM is a bit more
complicated).  Almost all Apple programs which allow file transfer
use XMODEM protocol (though possibly under the names of MODEM, MODEM2,
MODEM7 (with batch file mode), TERM-II FTP 3, or Christensen Protocol).
If anyone needs the documentation on the XMODEM protocol I'm sure I could
dreg it up without much of a problem.

                                     -thomas williams

UUCP: {psuvax1,pyrnj,cbmvax}!vu-vlsi!williams