[net.micro.apple] About the //e upgrade to //GS

god3@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Peter Godwin) (10/06/86)

The most concrete information I have come across about the upgrade
follows:

o  retail price:  $499

o  Apple hasn't said whether or not the upgrade includes a mouse.

o  The IIgs has NO slot compatible with the //e auxiliary slot.
   Therefore, Ramworks, MultiRam, and other memory expansion cards
   which plug into the aux. slot on a //e will not work in an upgraded
   //e  --> IIgs. ,  only slot based cards will work (Apple's for instance).

o  Your current communication soft/hardware setup may not work properly
   without modification.  This goes for modems hooked up via serial ports.

o  The Apple //c WILL NOT BE upgradable with this method.

o  Various multifunction cards which work on //e's may not work properly
   on a IIgs (call the company and ask if concerned).

o  The RGB monitor you may already have for your //e may not work
   on the IIgs since the IIgs creates an analog signal while
   a digital signal has been used on II's and //e's.

I myself am steadily planning to purchase the upgrade kit when it becomes
available through my school.  (I'm selling many peripherals which, with
the advent of the IIgs will become extrenuous.

The cost of the upgrade, however, is misleading.  The full power of the
IIgs will not be realized until a mouse (if not included), 3 1/2"
disk drive, and RGB monitor are purchased for the system.. and clearly
that represents a more substantial investment.

--
Peter Godwin                   uucp:  ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!god3
Univ. of Chicago Comp Ctr      mailnet:  x9.xpg@UChicago.Mailnet

kamath@reed.UUCP (10/07/86)

In article <686@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> god3@sphinx.UUCP (Peter Godwin) writes:
>The most concrete information I have come across about the upgrade
>follows:
>
>o  Apple hasn't said whether or not the upgrade includes a mouse.

No.

>o  Your current communication soft/hardware setup may not work properly
>   without modification.  This goes for modems hooked up via serial ports.

This is NOT because the serial ports are incompatable.  They are still
RS-232C.  THe problem is in the software that directly addresses the
ACIA port.  The GS uses the Zilg? Chip, and that is not quite the same,
hence, when AE Pro or somesuch tries to send stuff directly to the port,
it screws up.  For drivers that use the supplied firmware on the SSC the
GS will work just fine.

>o  The Apple //c WILL NOT BE upgradable with this method.

The //c HAS been upgraded, however.  It has a new motherboard that
allows a 256K-1Meg add on board.  Upgrades for old //c's are available.
The mouse firmware has been moved from "slot" 4 to "slot" 7.  (Shoulda
polled for the mouse.)  The false "AppleTalk not connect" has been
removed (It never worked).  Slot 4 is now the extra RAM, compatable
with the RAMcard that apple has.

>o  Various multifunction cards which work on //e's may not work properly
>   on a IIgs (call the company and ask if concerned).

This is because they "Phantom" slot.  Phantom slotting can still be done
on the GS, but you have to use the 'IOselect line.

>I myself am steadily planning to purchase the upgrade kit when it becomes
>available through my school.  (I'm selling many peripherals which, with
>the advent of the IIgs will become extrenuous.

I, too, plan to buy a //GS.  But I'll be hanged if I'll trade in my //e
for it.

>The cost of the upgrade, however, is misleading.  The full power of the
>IIgs will not be realized until a mouse (if not included), 3 1/2"
>disk drive, and RGB monitor are purchased for the system.. and clearly
>that represents a more substantial investment.

Also, I don't know whether the MouseCar will work in it, but I think it
will.  The upgrade does not include one.  I plane to get a 3.5 drive for
my //e and use only 3.5 disks for the //GS.

>Peter Godwin                   uucp:  ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!god3

Sean Kamath

UUCP:            {masscomp, decvax, allegra, psu-cs, ucbcad, ucbvax,
                  purdue, hplabs, hp-pcd, sequent, uw-beaver, ihnp4,
                  cbosgd, gatech, nsc-pdc}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET:           reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET
BITNET:          reed!kamath@Berkeley.BITNET
ARPA:            tektronix!reed!kamath@Berkeley
	         reed!kamath@hplabs
DECNET:          RHEA::DECWRL::"decvax!tektronix!reed!kamath"

US Snail:  Box 395 Reed College,
           Portland, OR  97202
           (503) 239-7458

Long live screwed up bit imaged graphics!!!

ee161abt@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU (Grobbins) (10/09/86)

In article <4217@reed.UUCP> kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) writes:
>In article <686@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> god3@sphinx.UUCP (Peter Godwin) writes:
>>o  Various multifunction cards which work on //e's may not work properly
>>   on a IIgs (call the company and ask if concerned).
>This is because they "Phantom" slot.  Phantom slotting can still be done
>on the GS, but you have to use the 'IOselect line.

Doesn't phantom slotting demand decoding of the address bus rather
than depending on the IO-select line?  And doesn't that preclude the
use of phantom slotting (short of running a jumper to read another
slot's I/O select signal)?

I'd think the problem is all due to the fact that the machine now
uses a 24-bit address bus, but not all of the address lines
are available to the slots.

Study the Slotmaker chip, and let me know...

Grobbins.