[net.micro.apple] Applied Engineering Card compatibility with //gs

ST802414@BROWNVM.BITNET (CHRISTOPHER CHUNG) (10/09/86)

> I heard that it was 90% software compatible
> with the //e emulation mode and all the hardware expect the aple ssc
> and the applied engineering cards worked.  the ssc didn't work because of
> a different communications chip that was in the gs, while the ae card were
> some unknow reason at the time.

Which AE card was this?
Thanks
Chris

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (10/10/86)

It's too bad that the SSC card doesn't work.  I was kind of hoping
it would, as much of my software depends on the 6551 rather than
the Zilog serial I/O chip on the gs motherboard.  I'm surpised that
the SSC doesn't work, since its an Apple brand goodie, and they
know that people are going to need downward compatibility with
older comminucations programs for a while until new software comes
out!

My questions are:  1.  Did you make sure that you disabled the
internal "virtual" slot in the preferences setup before installing
the SSC?  2.  Perhaps the SSC bombs becuase of the way the gs
handles interrupts-- not interrupts again!

Bill

Bill Mayhew
Division of Basic Medical Sciences
Northeastern Ohio Universities' College of Medicine
Rootstown, OH  44272    USA    phone:  216-325-2511
(wtm@neoucom.UUCP  or  ....!cbosgd!neoucom!wtm)

god3@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Peter Godwin) (10/11/86)

In article <8610092248.AA18212@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> ST802414%BROWNVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu writes:
>> I heard that it was 90% software compatible
>> with the //e emulation mode and all the hardware expect the aple ssc
>> and the applied engineering cards worked.  the ssc didn't work because of
>> a different communications chip that was in the gs, while the ae card were
>> some unknow reason at the time.
>
>Which AE card was this?

The AE card referred to is the Ramworks I, II, or III cards.  In fact,
any memory card (including Checkmate's) configured for the auxiliary
slot of the Apple //e will not work as a memory card in the //GS.

--
Peter Godwin                   uucp:  ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!god3
Univ. of Chicago Comp Ctr      mailnet:  x9.xpg@UChicago.Mailnet

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (10/13/86)

> > I heard that it was 90% software compatible
> > with the //e emulation mode and all the hardware expect the aple ssc
> > and the applied engineering cards worked.  the ssc didn't work because of
> > a different communications chip that was in the gs, while the ae card were
> > some unknow reason at the time.
>
> Which AE card was this?
> Thanks
> Chris

Probably the Ramfactor slot 1-7 card (Aux slot cards DON'T work).