[net.micro.apple] card compatibility

LMLARS01@ULKYVX.BITNET (10/10/86)

   There has been a lot of speculation here about what cards will and won't
work in the GS.  No auxiliary slot memory card for the //e will work in the
GS.  No card which uses phantom slotting will work in the GS.  Some old
coprocessor cards will fail because of the increased clock speed, but it
won't hurt anything to try one.  The Super Serial Card does work in the
GS (...but remember to set the control panel!) so much of the old
communications software, which uses the SSC ACIA directly can be made to
run.  (I have run AE Pro, for example.  AE Pro does not work through the
GS serial ports, however.)
    These problems will soon be eliminated because newer and better versions
of programs like AE Pro and Softerm ][ are already making the rounds.
    There is one other thing to keep in mind.  If you have software, under
ProDOS, which depends on a clock, ProDOS 1.1.1 won't find the GS clock.  There
are two solutions: (1) Stick your old ThunderClone in the GS; or, (2) Slip
ProDos 8 onto your disk in place of ProDos 1.1.1.

des@druhi.UUCP (SalyerDE) (10/14/86)

In article <8610102302.AA09272@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, LMLARS01@ULKYVX.BITNET.UUCP writes:

>    There has been a lot of speculation here about what cards will and won't
> work in the GS.  .......

> ...  No card which uses phantom slotting will work in the GS.

   Well, the phantom'ed slots won't, but what about the regular slot - A card
   like the Versacard is set up to have the Serial 'card' in the 'real' slot
   that it is plugged into, perhaps this one function will work, at least
   until software upgrades to work with the //gs serial port come out?

>                                                                 Some old
> coprocessor cards will fail because of the increased clock speed, but it
> won't hurt anything to try one.

   But - you can change the processor speed! why not do that and see if
   the co-processor cards will then work! (at least it is possible).

>     These problems will soon be eliminated because newer and better versions
> of programs like AE Pro and Softerm ][ are already making the rounds.

   Any word when these upgrades will be out (especially Softerm ][)?
   Also the cost! If Softerm ][ has the same upgrade policy as before,
   ($100 - half the cost of the original) I might look elsewhere.

DISCLAIMER: I do not have an Apple //gs (yet!) and these guesses are just
	that - GUESSES!  Does any-one have FACTS?  This machine looks REAL
	good and I'm sure that the biggest expence for upgrade, will be
	trying to sell obsolete cards.  Way to go APPLE!

	Real Life?:	Dale Salyer (Programmer)

	E-Mail Address:	ihnp4!druhi!des
	U.S. Mail:	AT&T Info. Systems Laboratories
			Rm. 8Z326
			Denver, CO 80229
			(303) - 538-4907