[net.micro.apple] buying the //gs

nakada@husc4.harvard.edu (paul nakada) (10/04/86)

Well, all this excitement about the //GS has gotten me thinking about
somehow selling parts of my existing systems and upgrading to the
//GS.  I have a 64k ][+ with videx 80 columns, Keytronic 200,copy card, cpm,
2 drives, parallel card, epson mx-80, zenith 12" green phosphor..

I also have a //c, usr 1200 baud, 2 drives, okidata 192, 9 inch
apple monitor and stand.

Anyone have any suggestions about how I could upgrade (as in what I should
sell/ what I whould keep)..  Is it really worth upgrading to the
//gs??  My main use for my //'s are for programming...  basic/assembly
word proc. and telcom....  any suggestions are welcome...

respones can be posted or sent to

harvard!husc4!nakada

paul nakada

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (10/09/86)

> Well, all this excitement about the //GS has gotten me thinking about
> somehow selling parts of my existing systems and upgrading to the
> //GS.  I have a 64k ][+ with videx 80 columns, Keytronic 200,copy card, cpm,
> 2 drives, parallel card, epson mx-80, zenith 12" green phosphor..
>
> I also have a //c, usr 1200 baud, 2 drives, okidata 192, 9 inch
> apple monitor and stand.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions about how I could upgrade (as in what I should
> sell/ what I whould keep)..  Is it really worth upgrading to the
> //gs??  My main use for my //'s are for programming...  basic/assembly
> word proc. and telcom....  any suggestions are welcome...
>
> respones can be posted or sent to
>
> harvard!husc4!nakada
>
> paul nakada

Keep the parallel card for the Epson and your 5.25 inch drives will
still work but Apple is pushing 3.5's hard, the system software is on 3.5 inch disksn               n
3.5 inch disks.  Your green monitor will still work, it will show
shades of grey instead of color. the keyboard and 80 column boards won't
work or be needed.  The modem and external //c drive will work fine.
If you program, Apple is coming out with a very powerful programming
environment that supports Assembler, C and Pascal.  Be warned this
toolkit requires 768K to run so you will need a memory board, either
Apple's or Applied Engineering's (possibly others soon).  You may
want to keep the //c for its portability and to use its software
that won't work with the //gs (telecommunications).  I'd sell the
//+ and drives and get a 3.5 inch drive and system unit, you could
use your //c drive if you needed 5.25 inch disk access.  Your CP/M
card will probably still work but you may need a small software
patch.  You'll get a faster, more powerful system than either of
your present systems with a lot more memory to program.

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax

ee161abt@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU (Grobbins) (10/10/86)

In article <2110@ecsvax.UUCP> ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) writes:
>If you program, Apple is coming out with a very powerful programming
>environment that supports Assembler, C and Pascal.

Yes, Apple is going to come out with a powerful programming
environment.  But don't expect a good, powerful, bug-free, MPW-like
system right away, and don't expect Pascal for a long time to come.

Remember, the //GS is based on a new uP, and good development tools
aren't easy to create, even (or perhaps especially) for Apple.
Developers for the //gs have been going through significant amounts
of pain in working with Apple's development system.

Grobbins.

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (10/13/86)

> In article <2110@ecsvax.UUCP> ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) writes:
> >If you program, Apple is coming out with a very powerful programming
> >environment that supports Assembler, C and Pascal.
>
> Yes, Apple is going to come out with a powerful programming
> environment.  But don't expect a good, powerful, bug-free, MPW-like
> system right away, and don't expect Pascal for a long time to come.
>
> Remember, the //GS is based on a new uP, and good development tools
> aren't easy to create, even (or perhaps especially) for Apple.
> Developers for the //gs have been going through significant amounts
> of pain in working with Apple's development system.
>
> Grobbins.

Good Point, the development system is being sent out but is not in its
final form yet.  Apple says C and assembler are nearly ready but work
has just started on Pascal so it will be awhile.

Although the processor is new, it is not that different from the 6502
in terms of writing assembler, the same ole stuff plus some new, nice
features.  The new features are where the power is but it still is not
like learning a new uP from the ground up.

I expect new stuff will start to come out quickly, six months to a year
rather than a year to 18 months (as with a new Machine like the Mac or
Amiga) because there are a lot of 6502 programmers out there and they

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax
smell money out there in programming for this new machine.

ee161abt@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU (Grobbins) (10/15/86)

In article <2124@ecsvax.UUCP> ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) writes:
>Although the processor is new, it is not that different from the 6502
>in terms of writing assembler, the same ole stuff plus some new, nice
>features.  The new features are where the power is but it still is not
>like learning a new uP from the ground up.
>
>I expect new stuff will start to come out quickly, six months to a year
>rather than a year to 18 months (as with a new Machine like the Mac or
>Amiga) because there are a lot of 6502 programmers out there and they
>smell money out there in programming for this new machine.

Perhaps this isn't the place for opinions about the chip, but nice
new features?  Gack.  Programmers of the 6502 contented themselves
with the knowledge that, while they were programming an old chip, it
was a good representative of the 8-bit generation, and there was an
enormous installed base.  The 65816 would be an embarrassment if
compared with other "late 16-bit generation" processors.  It lacks
the instruction extensions the 6502 really needs; it mainly just
adds what's necessary to support the 24-bit addressing, and widens
the registers to 16 bits.  Will programmers really like switching
from the simple 6502 to a version with banked memory?

I'll grant that it's somewhat better the using the old chip, but the
only reason that Apple or anyone else would really touch the thing,
I suspect, is compatibility and what Ranger aptly called
the smell of money.

Grobbins.
"Most people never mature; they just grow taller."
- Leo Rosten