[net.micro.apple] Kermit-][

nakada@husc4.harvard.edu (paul nakada) (10/17/86)

I have been following (at least trying) to follow the saga of
Kermit-][ and I just saw the documentation for it come up in net.sources..
Somewhere along the line, though, I missed the process for obtaining
it..  Is there anyone who can give me detailed instructions for obtaining
it, or is there anyone who can mail it to me??

Any help would be greatly appreciated..  thank you..

Paul Nakada
nakada@husc4.UUCP
harvard!husc4!nakada

zben@umd5 (Ben Cranston) (10/17/86)

In article <419@husc6.HARVARD.EDU> nakada@husc4.UUCP (paul nakada) writes:

> I have been following (at least trying) to follow the saga of
> Kermit-][ and I just saw the documentation for it come up in net.sources..
> Somewhere along the line, though, I missed the process for obtaining
> it..  Is there anyone who can give me detailed instructions for obtaining
> it, or is there anyone who can mail it to me??

Just keep watching the net.sources newsgroup.  I posted the documentation
two days ago but it bounced, so I had to repost it.  Now that it seems to
be getting out, watch for two postings, one of the mimimal kernel subset
to get it working, and another with the rest of the stuff.

There are a bunch of Kermits around.  The one Ted Medin at Shark has been
talking about seems to be a descendant of the Stevens Tech Kermit 65.  I
think this Kermit ][ was originally the same, but somebody moved a lot of
stuff from assembly back to Applesoft Basic.  Seems like a great leap
backwards, but actually is a big win because tokenized Applesoft is far
denser than machine code (though a lot slower) and more functionality can
be packing into the rather limited memory of the Apple ][+.
--
                    umd5.UUCP    <= {seismo!umcp-cs,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben
Ben Cranston zben @ umd2.UMD.EDU    Kingdom of Merryland Sperrows 1100/92