[net.micro.apple] //GS emulation cards

neves@AI.WISC.EDU ("David M. Neves") (10/15/86)

A friend told me today that he read a couple of articles that mentioned
that Apple was coming out with a Mac card and with an IBM PC card for
the //GS sometime in the next few months (before February).  Anyone
else see this or know more?  I believe he read it in Electronic
Times.

ee161abt@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU (Grobbins) (10/15/86)

In article <8610150548.AA22311@ai.wisc.edu> neves@AI.WISC.EDU ("David M. Neves") writes:
>A friend told me today that he read a couple of articles that mentioned
>that Apple was coming out with a Mac card and with an IBM PC card for
>the //GS sometime in the next few months (before February).  Anyone
>else see this or know more?  I believe he read it in Electronic
>Times.

Doesn't seem likely.  Apple's earlier attempt at a more powerful
Apple II, the Apple IIx, was designed to support coprocessors
(primarily the 68000.)  But the //gs doesn't have a slot intended
for coprocessors.  Apple has a big enough job on its hands trying to
fix the serious problems in the //gs & bring out the promised
supporting system components (such as Pascal and a real ProDOS based
on the '816.)  Apple is committed to the '816 for the II series,
and they'll probably want to boost its use to the best of their
ability.

grobbins.

rupp@cod.UUCP (William L. Rupp) (10/16/86)

In article <550@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU> ee161abt@sdcc18.UUCP (Grobbins) writes:

>Doesn't seem likely.  Apple's earlier attempt at a more powerful
>Apple II, the Apple IIx, was designed to support coprocessors
>(primarily the 68000.)  But the //gs doesn't have a slot intended

Other than as a term used to refer to the next Apple II model (the
latest being the IIGS), I have not heard of the use of the name Apple IIx.
You imply that there was such a computer.  Please give details.  Was
this a prototype?  What are your sources?

Any posting I make to the Usenet represents my own opinions or thoughts,
and not those of my employer (Is that okay, Gary?)

ee161abt@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU (Grobbins) (10/17/86)

In article <181@cod.UUCP> rupp@cod.UUCP (William L. Rupp) writes:
>In article <550@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU> ee161abt@sdcc18.UUCP (Grobbins) writes:
>>Doesn't seem likely.  Apple's earlier attempt at a more powerful
>>Apple II, the Apple IIx, was designed to support coprocessors
>>(primarily the 68000.)  But the //gs doesn't have a slot intended
>
>Other than as a term used to refer to the next Apple II model (the
>latest being the IIGS), I have not heard of the use of the name Apple IIx.
>You imply that there was such a computer.  Please give details.  Was
>this a prototype?  What are your sources?

Apple was, a long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, working
on a computer I believe was the mythical Apple IIx.  It was, I
understand, a //e with support for more memory and with a slot
specifically intended for the support of other microprocessors.  I'm
not sure if it was 6502 or 65816 based, though I'd guess the former,
as I don't think '816's have been long available.

My initial source for this was the Boston Computer Society's
Newsletter _Update_, the one with the cover story on the
introduction to the Macintosh (~March 1984.)  In it were, besides an
excellent early review of the Mac, several interesting tidbits,
including the story of the twiggy drive, and reports on the //c and
//x (note that the //c was released in the Fall of 1984, months
after the BCS report.)  I have since confirmed its existence and
demise through other channels.

I believe Woz had a hand in the work on the //x.  (He didn't in the
//gs, and it shows.)  Overall, a friend on the //GS team at
Apple has assured me, the //GS is a better machine (if, perhaps,
less expandable.)

Grobbins.

"No two children are ever born into the same family."
   -  Leo Rosten

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (10/17/86)

> A friend told me today that he read a couple of articles that mentioned
> that Apple was coming out with a Mac card and with an IBM PC card for
> the //GS sometime in the next few months (before February).  Anyone
> else see this or know more?  I believe he read it in Electronic
> Times.

A friend of mine read the same rumor in EE Times.  Sounds interesting
I wonder how true they are.

Rick

ranger@ecsvax