[net.micro.apple] //gs cost considered deciding factor

SECRIST%OAK.SAINET.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA (10/14/86)

From:    <SECRIST%OAK.SAINET.MFENET@LLL-MFE.Arpa>   (Richard C. Secrist)
Date:    Tue, 14-OCT-1986 07:41 EST
To:      INFO-APPLE@BRL.ARPA

I bought a //e as an upgrade for my ][ many moons ago because I wanted
1) the real keyboard (i.e. "{}[]~`<DEL>", etc.), 2) pseudo-standard
80 column support, 3) future compatability , and 4) a new lease on life
(my ][ {upgraded to ][+} is now 9 years old !).

I WANT neato graphics and from what I hear absolutely wonderful sound,
but my brain also wouldn't mind hacking a "real" processor chip that I
might be able to use professionally as well (like a 68000 or 80286 --
there's compartively not a lot of 65xxx work out there).

If the //gs or an upgrade were under $1000 (like $750 or better) there
wouldn't be a contest... I've got 700 floppies of Apple software.  But
$1900 is ridiculous when I can go get a 68000 machine like an Atari 1024
or 520 (I can get the 520 for $750 locally with monochrome monitor) and
KEEP my //e and ][+.  The graphics are roughly equivalent to an Atari
(though probably not as fast) and the sound is probably not as spectacular,
although at least it is a standardized interface (the MIDI port).

$1900 simply doesn't cut it, and the upgrade motherboard swaps don't sound
so hot either when you've got to buy a Unidisk, mouse (already have this
though), and whatever else...

Throughly disappointed,

Richard
SECRIST%OAK.SAInet.MFEnet@LLL-MFE.Arpa

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (10/16/86)

> From:    <SECRIST%OAK.SAINET.MFENET@LLL-MFE.Arpa>   (Richard C. Secrist)
> Date:    Tue, 14-OCT-1986 07:41 EST
> To:      INFO-APPLE@BRL.ARPA
>
> I bought a //e as an upgrade for my ][ many moons ago because I wanted
> 1) the real keyboard (i.e. "{}[]~`<DEL>", etc.), 2) pseudo-standard
> 80 column support, 3) future compatability , and 4) a new lease on life
> (my ][ {upgraded to ][+} is now 9 years old !).
>
> I WANT neato graphics and from what I hear absolutely wonderful sound,
> but my brain also wouldn't mind hacking a "real" processor chip that I
> might be able to use professionally as well (like a 68000 or 80286 --
> there's compartively not a lot of 65xxx work out there).
>
> If the //gs or an upgrade were under $1000 (like $750 or better) there
> wouldn't be a contest... I've got 700 floppies of Apple software.  But
> $1900 is ridiculous when I can go get a 68000 machine like an Atari 1024
> or 520 (I can get the 520 for $750 locally with monochrome monitor) and
> KEEP my //e and ][+.  The graphics are roughly equivalent to an Atari
> (though probably not as fast) and the sound is probably not as spectacular,
> although at least it is a standardized interface (the MIDI port).
>
> $1900 simply doesn't cut it, and the upgrade motherboard swaps don't sound
> so hot either when you've got to buy a Unidisk, mouse (already have this
> though), and whatever else...

You don't HAVE to buy a unidisk, and you should be able to keep your
//e motherboard and put it in a cheap case and have all 3 systems.  You
also need to ask how much those 700 disks are worth (can they be ported
over to another system?).  I agree the price is way too high, but Apple
always releases new products high to give dealers room to discount.
Within a year you'll see the machine discounted to near current //e
prices.  Since there are only 49 chips on the board the thing has to
be cheaper to make than the //e.  This still doesn't help as far as
hacking 68000 or 80286 code though.  A rumor in EE Times said Apple was
working on a MACac emulator board to go in the //gs...That would be nice.

Rick

> Richard
> SECRIST%OAK.SAInet.MFEnet@LLL-MFE.Arpa

langbein@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (John E. Langbein) (10/17/86)

$1900 for an Upgrade? a new GS costs only about $1800 retail, and
complete systems wholesale (color) are even less! An upgrade should
sell for $600. After all the X-tras one must get, it runs close to
$1000 at most I would think.
				$1900, Hmmmmm.
				John Langbein
				(langbein@topaz)

OAF.G.PELLER%OZ.AI.MIT.EDU@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU (Adam Peller) (10/18/86)

From what I have heard:

  the upgrade will be available January '87. The prices I've heard have
  varied from $499 to $599. This includes installation of a new mother-
  board and back panel with 2 serial ports, disk drive port, scsi hard
  drive port, mouse, etc.  According to apple's rules, this must be
  installed by an "authorized dealer"

You will need a mouse -- Mouse system A+ mouse from $50-$80

If you want color, you will need the //gs RGB monitor -- LIST $499, but
of course, you can use a monochrome monitor if you wish.

You'll probably want a 3.5 drive -- Apple's list $399, but there are generics
  for $100 less..

this should come to about $900 for a basic upgrade w/o RGB color,
$1400 w/RGB.

If you consider that the $500 upgrade gives you a few hundred dollars worth
of ports and a time card, it doesnt sound all that unreasonable.

Adam Peller -- AdamP%Oz@Mc.Lcs.Mit.Edu (arpa)

-------

eric@osiris.UUCP (Eric Bergan) (10/18/86)

In article <6294@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU>, langbein@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (John E. Langbein) writes:
> $1900 for an Upgrade? a new GS costs only about $1800 retail, and
> complete systems wholesale (color) are even less! An upgrade should
> sell for $600. After all the X-tras one must get, it runs close to
> $1000 at most I would think.

	Call A.P.P.L.E. quotes the price of the upgrade as $499. This
does not include a mouse. Also does not include any disk drives, monitors,
etc.

--

					eric
					...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplcen!osiris!eric