[net.micro.apple] IIGS emulation cards

CDTAXW@IRISHMVS.BITNET (10/16/86)

Expect to see Applied Engineering bring out an MS-DOS card which
will basically "give you an MS-DOS compatible (clone) machine".
They expect to have it out within a few months at a very reasonable
cost, and it is expected to run all the software that works
on other compatibles (Zenith, Compaq, etc)

Mark

ee161abt@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU (Grobbins) (10/17/86)

In article <8610161420.AA15953@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> CDTAXW@IRISHMVS.BITNET writes:
>Expect to see Applied Engineering bring out an MS-DOS card which
>will basically "give you an MS-DOS compatible (clone) machine".
>They expect to have it out within a few months at a very reasonable
>cost, and it is expected to run all the software that works
>on other compatibles (Zenith, Compaq, etc)
>
>Mark

Many attempts have been made at giving II's MS-DOS compatibility,
most notably the Rana MS-DOS drive that Apple helped design.  (I
don't know if it ever hit the market, but it was announced.)
Getting a II to run MS-DOS software involves attaching what is
virtually an IBM PC clone to a II, and that is generally going to be
more expensive than just buying a whole new IBM clone machine &
sitting it down next to the Apple & connecting them by a cable for data
transfer.  To me, the most dubious part of Mark's posting is the
"very reasonable price."

Rule of thumb:  never by a computer, short of a true clone, for
compatibility with another machine.  Somewhere, some time, when you
least expect it, you're going to be let down hard.

Grobbins.

binder@asd.DEC.COM ("Exit, pursued by a bear") (10/17/86)

> Rule of thumb:  never by a computer, short of a true clone, for
> compatibility with another machine.  Somewhere, some time, when you
> least expect it, you're going to be let down hard.
>
> Grobbins.

The only absolutely true clone is a twin made by the original company - all
the clones seem to fall down when you least expect it.  The best PC-AT clone I
know of is the VAXmate, from DEC.  It's been given the "functionally
compatible" rating (the highest possible) by a company that rates clones, and
it even runs the Flight Simulator.  But as good as it is, and it *is* nice,
I've played with one, and with as much as comes built in (1 meg, Ethernet
port, serial port, etc.), $4000 is a lot of bucks for a private individual to
cough up for a *personal* computer without a hard disk.  (That's $1600 more.)

Cheers,
Dick Binder   (The Stainless Steel Rat)

DEC Enet:	ASD::BINDER
UUCP:		{ decvax, allegra, ucbvax... }!decwrl!asd.dec.com!binder
ARPA:		binder%asd.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

Disclaimer:  I don't usually stick a disclaimer here, but because I work for
DEC it must be understood that the opinions expressed in this message may or
may not reflect any official or unofficial position of my employer.

hestenes@sdics.UUCP (Eric Hestenes) (10/20/86)

In article <554@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU>, ee161abt@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU (Grobbins) writes:
> In article <8610161420.AA15953@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> CDTAXW@IRISHMVS.BITNET writes:
> >Expect to see Applied Engineering bring out an MS-DOS card which
> >will basically "give you an MS-DOS compatible (clone) machine".
> >Mark

> Getting a II to run MS-DOS software involves attaching what is
> virtually an IBM PC clone to a II, and that is generally going to be
> more expensive than just buying a whole new IBM clone machine &
> sitting it down next to the Apple & connecting them by a cable for data
> transfer.  To me, the most dubious part of Mark's posting is the
> "very reasonable price."
> Grobbins.

This is a bit naive. The factors that made the apple ][+,e
difficult to 'compatiblize' have been fixed with the ][gs.
The biggest stumbling block is the lame screen mapping on the
old apples. The linear screen area on the new apple with eliminate
a major problem. Other problems like memory management have also
been repaired with the new hardware. It should, therefore, be significantly
more simple to create a PC clone card for the gs than it was for the
][+,e. This, in turn will drop the price of the card. The "very
reasonable price" should be possible because now they *won't* have to
create a whole PC clone on the card, just a 8088 processor and bus interface.
Previously, one had to add memory and graphics hardware, as well as deal with
incompatible file formats and other problems.

eric

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (10/20/86)

> Many attempts have been made at giving II's MS-DOS compatibility,
> most notably the Rana MS-DOS drive that Apple helped design.  (I
> don't know if it ever hit the market, but it was announced.)
> Getting a II to run MS-DOS software involves attaching what is
> virtually an IBM PC clone to a II, and that is generally going to be
> more expensive than just buying a whole new IBM clone machine &
> sitting it down next to the Apple & connecting them by a cable for data
> transfer.  To me, the most dubious part of Mark's posting is the
> "very reasonable price."
>
> Rule of thumb:  never by a computer, short of a true clone, for
> compatibility with another machine.  Somewhere, some time, when you
> least expect it, you're going to be let down hard.

The biggest problem with the ranaRana system was providing IBM compatible
video in the Apple.  Since the //gs has 640X200 capability and keyboard
interrupt, the problems should be much easier to solve.  I guess we will
have to wait and see.

Rick