[net.micro.apple] C128 vs Apple //e

rra202@uiucuxa.CSO.UIUC.EDU (09/25/86)

hi
I'm from a Commodore - 128 kind of scene
I ran a program on both the apple //e
and a C-128

10 fort=1 to 500
20 a=3.14159
30 b=sqr(val(str$(a*a)))
40 nextt
50 end

and the C-128 in the 80-col mode is almost 2x as fast
by the way, the values of 'b' were almost identacle
acually, the C-128 is almost (within 20%) as fast as
an IBM PC.

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (09/27/86)

[Line eater, get me.]

Hi,

It's been a while since I was dabbling on a c128.  I do remember,
though, that under certain circumstances the cpu on the  c128 is
run at 2.04 MHz, rather than the "standard" 1.02 MHz.  Don't quote me
on this, but I think it was durring the CRT retrace times that the
cpu is running faster on the c128.

Naturally, Commodore wasn't first to cook the idea up.  Remeber the
ill fated Apple III ran its cpu faster in the CRT retrace time.

Comparing the c128 and apple II against the IBM pc is interesting,
as in the normal precision mode, the IBM basica only carries 6 -7
digits of accuracy while apple and commodore carry typically 10-11
digits.

Scrolling text on the 80 col screen is where the speed of the apple
IIe is really sapped since the poor cpu has to do handstands to
move the text around in the oddball memory map.  (I wrote a
subroutine in machine language to scroll down to augment the built
in code that scrolls up.)  I've always wondered why a decent text
memory map wasn't designed in to the Apple II at the outset, as
even in 1976, it would have added less than $5 to the cost of the
components in the machine.

I saw a review of the new //GS on TV, and they were loading an
image, and it came up with the familiar fill-in-between the lines
fashion of the II.  Perhaps this was just done for "effect" to
disolve the screen.  I sure was hoping the GS would have a mode
with a contiguous bit map to make manipulations easier (and
faster).  Perhaps, the 128K quickdraw ROM in the GS will be a
relief, and I won't have to do the dogwork of figuring out how to
make the hardware dance nicely.

  --Bill

Bill Mayhew
Division of Basic Medical Sciences
Northeastern Ohio Universities' College of Medicine
Rootstown, Ohio  44272  USA    216-325-2511
(wtm@neoucom.UUCP)

steve@jplgodo.UUCP (Steve Schlaifer x43171 301/167) (09/29/86)

In article <284@neoucom.UUCP>, wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

> I saw a review of the new //GS on TV, and they were loading an
> image, and it came up with the familiar fill-in-between the lines
> fashion of the II.  Perhaps this was just done for "effect" to
> disolve the screen.  I sure was hoping the GS would have a mode
> with a contiguous bit map to make manipulations easier (and
> faster).  Perhaps, the 128K quickdraw ROM in the GS will be a
> relief, and I won't have to do the dogwork of figuring out how to
> make the hardware dance nicely.

I did not see the demo mentioned but, when running in ][ emulation mode,
the //GS must emulate the bizarre mapping of the graphics onto the screen.
When running in native mode, however, the super-high-res graphics is linearly
mapped so that the next line on the screen is a lineworth of bits later in
memory just like one would like.  On the other hand, the QuickDraw II in ROM
is reasonably fast for many purposes and unloads the programmer to do bigger
and better things.
--

...smeagol\			Steve Schlaifer
......wlbr->!jplgodo!steve	Advance Projects Group, Jet Propulsion Labs

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (09/30/86)

> hi
> I'm from a Commodore - 128 kind of scene
> I ran a program on both the apple //e
> and a C-128
>
> 10 fort=1 to 500
> 20 a=3.14159
> 30 b=sqr(val(str$(a*a)))
> 40 nextt
> 50 end
>
> and the C-128 in the 80-col mode is almost 2x as fast
> by the way, the values of 'b' were almost identacle
> acually, the C-128 is almost (within 20%) as fast as
> an IBM PC.

That makes sense because the C128 runs at 2mhz compared to 1 mhz standard for
the apple //.  Drop in an accelerator however and the Apple runs twice as fast
as an IBM or the c128.  Where do you plug in an accelerator on a C128 and
why would you want to run bad software twice as fast?  The benchmark you
list is not totally hardware dependent.  The quality and type of Basic
will make a difference too.

Rick

nakada@husc4.harvard.edu (paul nakada) (10/01/86)

In article <2084@ecsvax.UUCP> ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) writes:

>> hi
>> I'm from a Commodore - 128 kind of scene
>> I ran a program on both the apple //e
>> and a C-128

[ a program and other stuff ]

>That makes sense because the C128 runs at 2mhz compared to 1 mhz standard for
>the apple //.  Drop in an accelerator however and the Apple runs twice as fast
>as an IBM or the c128.  Where do you plug in an accelerator on a C128 and
>why would you want to run bad software twice as fast?  The benchmark you
>list is not totally hardware dependent.  The quality and type of Basic
>will make a difference too.
>
>Rick

isn't it true that although the // series microprocessor runs at 1mhz, the
computer runs at an apparent speed of 0.5mhz because of the video/computer
division of time..

Somehow, I don't really think the microprocessor spped is quite as important
as the apparent or visible speed... Here, the Apple, usually through
excellent programming, makes up much ground on the PC series..
Anyone else out there feel the same?

Paul Nakada

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (10/02/86)

> [Line eater, get me.]
>
> It's been a while since I was dabbling on a c128.  I do remember,
> though, that under certain circumstances the cpu on the  c128 is
> run at 2.04 MHz, rather than the "standard" 1.02 MHz.  Don't quote me
> on this, but I think it was durring the CRT retrace times that the
> cpu is running faster on the c128.

Its been awhile since I dabbled on the C128 too.  But I was one of the
design engineers on the thing.  The 1.02 Mhz speed, same as the C64, is
what you get if you want to use both displays on the '128 (40 and 80
column, which are distinct video controllers).  The 40 column display
chip, when active, will alos steal a few cycles from the processor for
character data fetches and sprite display.  However, if the 40 column
display is not needed, the '128 will run at 2.04 MHz nearly all the
time, and the 80 column display chip will function as normal.  The
2.04 MHz clock will slow down for two things.  RAM refresh is one of
these, though its pretty infrequent.  The other slowdown is for any
access of an I/O chip.  You'll get a slowdown statistically 50% of the
time you access an I/O chip.  The reason behind this is that some of
the I/O chips require the 1.02 MHz clock as a time base.  Thus, if the
I/O request occurs out of sync with the 1.02 MHz clock, it must be
stretched to sync.  If the access is in sync, no stretch is required.
And there are no video DMA's to slow the processor down in this mode;
the 80 column chip manages its own memory.

> Bill Mayhew
> Division of Basic Medical Sciences
> Northeastern Ohio Universities' College of Medicine
> Rootstown, Ohio  44272  USA    216-325-2511
> (wtm@neoucom.UUCP)
Dave Haynie    {caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh

	These opinions are my own, though if you try them out, and decide
	that you really like them, a small donation would be appreciated.

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (10/02/86)

> [Line eater, get me.]
>
> Hi,
>

> I saw a review of the new //GS on TV, and they were loading an
> image, and it came up with the familiar fill-in-between the lines
> fashion of the II.  Perhaps this was just done for "effect" to
> disolve the screen.  I sure was hoping the GS would have a mode
> with a contiguous bit map to make manipulations easier (and
> faster).  Perhaps, the 128K quickdraw ROM in the GS will be a
> relief, and I won't have to do the dogwork of figuring out how to
> make the hardware dance nicely.
>
>   --Bill
>
> Bill Mayhew
> Division of Basic Medical Sciences
> Northeastern Ohio Universities' College of Medicine
> Rootstown, Ohio  44272  USA    216-325-2511
> (wtm@neoucom.UUCP)

The new graphics modes on the //gs have 32K of contiguous screen
memory with 16 color tables.  You won't have to do handstands quite
so much for them.

Rick

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (10/06/86)

>> I'm from a Commodore - 128 kind of scene I ran a program on both the
>> apple //e and a C-128...
>>
>> 10 fort=1 to 500
>> 20 a=3.14159
>> 30 b=sqr(val(str$(a*a)))
>> 40 nextt
>> 50 end
>>
>> and the C-128 in the 80-col mode is almost 2x as fast
>> by the way, the values of 'b' were almost identacle
>> acually, the C-128 is almost (within 20%) as fast as
>> an IBM PC.
>
> That makes sense because the C128 runs at 2mhz compared to 1 mhz standard for
> the apple //.  Drop in an accelerator however and the Apple runs twice as fast
> as an IBM or the c128.

Can you get a 4.08 MHz accelerator for the Apple (which is what you'd need
for twice the speed of the C128)?  Last I heard no one's delivering 6502s in
production quantity that are speced to run above 3MHz.

> The benchmark you list is not totally hardware dependent.  The quality and
> type of Basic will make a difference too.

Exactly.  The C128 vs. Apple comparison is very valid.  You'll have to use
Applesoft BASIC (floating point).  This and the C128 BASIC both use the
old Microsoft floating point routines; the operations involved will be just
about identical.  If the BASIC on the PC is Microsoft than the comparison
is very valid; if you're using BASICA on the PC, its not, for the BASICA
interpreter uses 7 digit floats verses the Microsoft 11 digit floats.

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (10/08/86)

> In article <2084@ecsvax.UUCP> ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) writes:
> >>

> isn't it true that although the // series microprocessor runs at 1mhz, the
> computer runs at an apparent speed of 0.5mhz because of the video/computer
> division of time..
>
> Somehow, I don't really think the microprocessor spped is quite as important
> as the apparent or visible speed... Here, the Apple, usually through
> excellent programming, makes up much ground on the PC series..
> Anyone else out there feel the same?
>
> Paul Nakada

Paul, memory refresh and video sharing does slow down the system from
its full clock speed, but it doesn't cut it in half.  I vaguely remember
the ratio being 1 cycle in 50 or 60 being stretched.  You may be thinkin    -
ng of the read cycles vs the write cycles, each only gets control of
the bus for half the time.  I agree, clock speed is not the only or
even the best benchmark of performance.  Even the best machine in the world
world is useless without good software.

Rick

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (10/09/86)

> Can you get a 4.08 MHz accelerator for the Apple (which is what you'd need
> for twice the speed of the C128)?  Last I heard no one's delivering 6502s in
> production quantity that are speced to run above 3MHz.
Most accelerators for the Apple // run at 3.6 mhz because it is a di     n
even division of the 14mhz system clock.  The 65C02 used is actually
a 4mhz chip (available from Rockwell, GTE or WDC).  I think that the
Western Design Center is getting production yields on 6mhz 65802's
which are pin compatible with the 65C02 and 65816's which are used
in the //gs.

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (10/13/86)

>> Can you get a 4.08 MHz accelerator for the Apple (which is what you'd need
>> for twice the speed of the C128)?  Last I heard no one's delivering 6502s in
>> production quantity that are speced to run above 3MHz.
> Most accelerators for the Apple // run at 3.6 mhz because it is a di     n
> even division of the 14mhz system clock.  The 65C02 used is actually
> a 4mhz chip (available from Rockwell, GTE or WDC).  I think that the
> Western Design Center is getting production yields on 6mhz 65802's
> which are pin compatible with the 65C02 and 65816's which are used
> in the //gs.

Not quite.  First of all, WDC doesn't make production silicon at all, I
think they may even farm out much of their prototype work.  GTE makes all
of the 65SC816 parts; they've finally got the 4MHz part in reasonable
quantities, though they're still expensive.  I haven't heard anything
positive on anything faster from them.  Also, GTE only has 3MHz 65C02's
in production quantities.  They can get you 4MHz parts, but these are
hand picked 3MHz parts.  They're redesigning their 65C02 for real 4MHz
operation, and expect to have that ready by early '87.  WDC still doesn't
have production quantities of any silicon product.  I'm not sure how fast
Rockwell parts are working (of course, they only make 65C02 and 6502),
though Rockwell is in the process of de-emphasizing their 6502 lines in
favor of 16 bit and greater chips (much to the approval of GTE, who's
apparently firmly comitted to the 65C02 families as long as they're selling
as well as they are).

> Rick
Dave Haynie	{caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh
		"Techno-Hippie, heathen, designing evil computers"

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (10/16/86)

> >> Can you get a 4.08 MHz accelerator for the Apple (which is what you'd need
> >> for twice the speed of the C128)?  Last I heard no one's delivering 6502s in
> >> production quantity that are speced to run above 3MHz.
> > Most accelerators for the Apple // run at 3.6 mhz because it is a di     n
> > even division of the 14mhz system clock.  The 65C02 used is actually
> > a 4mhz chip (available from Rockwell, GTE or WDC).  I think that the
> > Western Design Center is getting production yields on 6mhz 65802's
> > which are pin compatible with the 65C02 and 65816's which are used
> > in the //gs.
>

> Not quite.  First of all, WDC doesn't make production silicon at all, I
> think they may even farm out much of their prototype work.  GTE makes all
> of the 65SC816 parts; they've finally got the 4MHz part in reasonable
> quantities, though they're still expensive.  I haven't heard anything
> positive on anything faster from them.  Also, GTE only has 3MHz 65C02's
> in production quantities.  They can get you 4MHz parts, but these are
> hand picked 3MHz parts.  They're redesigning their 65C02 for real 4MHz
> operation, and expect to have that ready by early '87.  WDC still doesn't
> have production quantities of any silicon product.  I'm not sure how fast
> Rockwell parts are working (of course, they only make 65C02 and 6502),
> though Rockwell is in the process of de-emphasizing their 6502 lines in
> favor of 16 bit and greater chips (much to the approval of GTE, who's
> apparently firmly comitted to the 65C02 families as long as they're selling
> as well as they are).
>
> > Rick
> --
> Dave Haynie	{caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh
> 		"Techno-Hippie, heathen, designing evil computers"
>
> 	These opinions are my own, though if you try them out, and decide
> 	that you really like them, a small donation would be appreciated.

I burned out the 4mhz 65C02 in my accelerator over a year ago and bought
a replacement off the shelf for less than $12 (single unit) it was a
Rockwell chip but the supplier said GTE was available too at the same
price, but he didn't have any in stock.  Bill Mensch said more than a
year ago that the parts WDC was shipping were all 4mhz (even when 1 or
2 mhz were ordered), I don't know who manufactured these parts, but you
are right, WDC sends all of their fabrication work out.

Rick

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (10/20/86)

> I burned out the 4mhz 65C02 in my accelerator over a year ago and bought
> a replacement off the shelf for less than $12 (single unit) it was a
> Rockwell chip but the supplier said GTE was available too at the same
> price, but he didn't have any in stock.  Bill Mensch said more than a
> year ago that the parts WDC was shipping were all 4mhz (even when 1 or
> 2 mhz were ordered), I don't know who manufactured these parts, but you
> are right, WDC sends all of their fabrication work out.
>
> Rick

$12 is a hand-tested price.  A production 2MHz part is less than $1.00 in
cost, that might be as much as $2.00 in single quantities.  Production
4MHz 65C816 chips were started at around $8.00 a piece in large quantity
(8 MHz 68000s are around $5.00 in quantity), though that price will
certainly drop over the next year.  About two years ago we go some parts
directly through WDC, 65C816 chips, and they were labeled "4MHz", but
they'd only run at around 500 KHz.  The 4 MHz parts I have from GTE run fine
at 2.04MHz, and I see no reason why they couldn't run at 4MHz.  But these
haven't been available for that long.  I wouldn't expect to see 6MHz parts
for awhile yet, except for an occasional hand-tested 4MHz part; OK for
hobbying and high priced 3rd party add-ons, but nothing a large manufacturer
is going to base a production computer on.  Also, a system running at 4MHz
will barely be able to use DRAMs.  A 6MHz system will have to use static
RAM, which will significantly increase the system price; you pay much
more for memory than you do for the CPU chip.