[net.micro.apple] A Plea for Brevity

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (10/18/86)

I know this will probably fall on deaf ears (or blind eyes):  I surely
would appreciate it if people did *NOT* include copies of what they are
replying to in their replies -- messages full of >>'s etc.  are hard to
read, several times longer than they need to be, and clog up the net.
Just because you have a mail system that with the touch of a finger will
copy the original message and surround it with funny marks is no excuse
for exercising that option.  And by the second or third time around its
only stupid.

time and space are valuable

Mly.G.Pogo%OZ.AI.MIT.EDU@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Soron) (10/18/86)

I second your plea for brevity.  I just read a message on this list that
had ">"s _four levels deep_.  Utterly ridiculous.

-------

bobg@paladin.UUCP (Bob Goldberg) (10/21/86)

In article <861018063639.282231@DOCKMASTER.ARPA>, TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA writes:
> I know this will probably fall on deaf ears (or blind eyes):  I surely
> would appreciate it if people did *NOT* include copies of what they are
> replying to in their replies -- messages full of >>'s etc.  are hard to
> read, several times longer than they need to be, and clog up the net.
> Just because you have a mail system that with the touch of a finger will
> copy the original message and surround it with funny marks is no excuse
> for exercising that option.  And by the second or third time around its
> only stupid.

	I agree that unproperly edited messages do, in fact, slow
things down a bit, but there is one MAJOR problem.
My system does not always recieve EVERY posting. it may get lost in
the cracks somewhere, or who knows what....
in any case, many postings do not have a parent posting that
was sent down the net successfully. A short summary helps in those
cases.

				Bob Goldberg
--

From the world of Paladin:
ihnp4!gargoyle!paladin!bobg    (Bob Goldberg)