[net.micro.apple] DOS 3.3 AppleWriter and Corvus

CDTAXW@IRISHMVS.BITNET (10/16/86)

HELP!!!

Does anyone know of a way to run AppleWriter // under
DOS 3.3 on a Corvus network?  Or does anyone have an
unprotected or modified copy of AppleWriter // which
could possibly be copied to a Corvus hard disk?  Apple
tech support claims that it cannot be done and the
Corvus people are not too much help ...

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help us out.

Mark

binder@asd.DEC.COM ("Exit, pursued by a bear") (10/17/86)

I don't think you can put DOS 3.3 Applewriter on a hard disk, or anything
except a direct copy of the original, made with a tool like Locksmith.  I
wanted to put it onto a Diversi-DOS floppy to gain the speed of Diversi-DOS.
I spoke with Bill Basham, who wrote Diversi-DOS, and he told me that
Applewriter uses a DOS that's so severely altered that there's just no point
in trying to deal with it.

This DOS is able to read the image files for the HELLO program and the
APPLEWRITER program - these two are only protected files on the disk.  They
have oddball checksums or some other protection measure, along with a hidden
character in their catalog entries.  You can do a CATALOG using a normal DOS
and see what appears to be normal filenames, but if you do it with the
Applewriter DOS you'll see a flashing backslash as the second character
(H\ELLO and A\PPLEWRITER).  That flashing backslash is hex 1C - ASCII FS.

My solution was to blow $130 for a MicroPro StarCard and WordStar
Professional.  Best purchase I ever made.  There is no file compatibility, but
the power was worth it - I transferred all the Applewriter files I wanted to
save, over to CP/M and cleaned them up one time.

Cheers,
Dick Binder   (The Stainless Steel Rat)

DEC Enet:	ASD::BINDER
UUCP:		{ decvax, allegra, ucbvax... }!decwrl!asd.dec.com!binder
ARPA:		binder%asd.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

--------------------

Please note that this mail message is likely to be incomplete.
The sender aborted the transmission.

	rhea::MAILER-DAEMON

--------------------

kamath@reed.UUCP (10/22/86)

In article <8610170122.AA29252@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> CDTAXW@IRISHMVS.BITNET writes:
>HELP!!!
>
>Does anyone know of a way to run AppleWriter // under
>DOS 3.3 on a Corvus network?  Or does anyone have an
>unprotected or modified copy of AppleWriter // which
>could possibly be copied to a Corvus hard disk?  Apple
>tech support claims that it cannot be done and the
>Corvus people are not too much help ...
>
>Thanks in advance to anyone who can help us out.
>
>Mark

Well, this is typical.  It seems that Paul Lutus likes "trap doors" in
his software.  He DID put Corvus support in his AppleWriter series.  Of
course, the optimum way of doing this is to buy (or upgrade if you own
the original) the ProDos version (did I really say that!!!!) as it can
easily be moved to a hard disk.  If, however, you are using the original
AW1.1 which saves files as binaries, then , well, it says to hold down
the 'C' key when booting.  It then asks you which slot to boot the
Corvus from (c->corvus).  I don't think you can actually move the
program to the couvus, or if you can if you can run it from the hard
disk without the original, though.  I have AW v1.0 for the //e.  I also
bought Don Lancaster's "Enhancing Your Apple ][ volumn 2" which has that
version completely ripped apart.  Removing the "copy protection" is
trivial as Apple didn't want to protect it, but Lutus did, so he wrote
the protection.  I am now working on getting it to run with Diversi-Dos.
And to allow me to print a graphic in the middle of a document..Ha ha.
I'm having enough fun working on a standalone color printing routine
(Which I will of course post to the net when finished...).

Sean Kamath

UUCP:            {masscomp, decvax, allegra, psu-cs, ucbcad, ucbvax,
                  purdue, hplabs, hp-pcd, sequent, uw-beaver, ihnp4,
                  cbosgd, gatech, nsc-pdc}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET:           reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET
BITNET:          reed!kamath@Berkeley.BITNET
ARPA:            tektronix!reed!kamath@Berkeley
	         reed!kamath@hplabs
DECNET:          RHEA::DECWRL::"decvax!tektronix!reed!kamath"

US Snail:  Box 395 Reed College,
           Portland, OR  97202
           (503) 239-7458

These are not the fastest or best paths, just the easiest to use.
I hope they work. (Most notably the US Snail Service :-)