[net.micro.apple] Compatibility of old Periphs w/ //gs

god3@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Peter Godwin) (10/16/86)

I now own an Apple //e filled to the brink with peripherals.  In fact,
I have to swap peripherals to get other extra peripherals into the
machine when I need them.  They include clock, modem, super serial card,
Mockingboard, CP/M card, disk drive, printer.

I am set on purchasing a //GS pretty much and was interested in knowing
the compatibility of the CP/M card, printer card (which I am sure will
work.. but I would also like to know if there is a parallel interface built
into the //GS and what other interfaces come with it.

The clock and Mockingboard will become obsolete obviously.

The modem I could still use, since it is a Micromodem II (the first ones
that came out!)

The disk drives will also work if I decide to keep them.

What other help about current peripherals or future expansion of a //GS
can you give?

If I upgrade my //e to a //GS will I get to keep the motherboard (seriously
doubt it) and what else will I need to buy (disk drives (3.5"), mouse, etc)

I also have a composite color monitor by BMC.  Will IT work properly
with the //GS?

Any info comments etc would be appreciated.

--
Peter Godwin                   uucp:  ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!god3
Univ. of Chicago Comp Ctr      mailnet:  x9.xpg@UChicago.Mailnet

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (10/20/86)

> I now own an Apple //e filled to the brink with peripherals.  In fact,
> I have to swap peripherals to get other extra peripherals into the
> machine when I need them.  They include clock, modem, super serial card,
> Mockingboard, CP/M card, disk drive, printer.
>
> I am set on purchasing a //GS pretty much and was interested in knowing
> the compatibility of the CP/M card, printer card (which I am sure will
> work.. but I would also like to know if there is a parallel interface built
> into the //GS and what other interfaces come with it.
>
> The clock and Mockingboard will become obsolete obviously.
>
> The modem I could still use, since it is a Micromodem II (the first ones
> that came out!)
>
> The disk drives will also work if I decide to keep them.
>
> What other help about current peripherals or future expansion of a //GS
> can you give?
>
> If I upgrade my //e to a //GS will I get to keep the motherboard (seriously
> doubt it) and what else will I need to buy (disk drives (3.5"), mouse, etc)
>

> I also have a composite color monitor by BMC.  Will IT work properly
> with the //GS?
>
> Any info comments etc would be appreciated.

The is no built in parallel, so you'll need that.  Most CP/M cards work
but may require a patch to the software, what kind do you have?  Apple
Ee
has a compatibility guide out that you can get from your dealer to see
if your brand of card works.  The question of whether a mouse comes with
the upgrade hasn't been answered yet.  I understand that you can use
your old mouse or plug the new one into the desktop bus by itself (in-
stead of into the keyboard and then into the desktop bus) but you may
have to buy that separately.

The question of motherboards is interesting.  You own your motherboard.
If the upgrade is an upgrade and not a swap, your dealer cannot legally
keep your motherboard.  If part of the agreement is a swap, what will th
the dealer do with the old boards?  When the ROM upgrade came out for
the //e the dealers were supposed to destroy the old ROMs to keep them
from winding up in clones.  Most dealers would just give you the kit even though th
though the weren't supposed to.  I would say to ask the dealer what
their policy is.  If they insist on keeping your board tell them it's
illegal and maybe they will relent.  You might also try removing your
board before you go in or just buy the upgrade kit and install it
yourself.  Apple might have had a case with the ROM upgrades that the
programs in the ROMs were their property (even though the ROM itself
belonged to you) but in this case I don't believe they have a legal
case unless you agree to give up your old board as part of the deal.
Any lawyers out there with some expert advice on this point?

Rick
ranger@ecsvax

kamath@reed.UUCP (10/22/86)

In article <2153@ecsvax.UUCP> ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) writes:

>The question of motherboards is interesting.  You own your motherboard.
>If the upgrade is an upgrade and not a swap, your dealer cannot legally
>keep your motherboard.  If part of the agreement is a swap, what will th
>the dealer do with the old boards?  When the ROM upgrade came out for
>the //e the dealers were supposed to destroy the old ROMs to keep them
>from winding up in clones.  Most dealers would just give you the kit even
>though the weren't supposed to.  I would say to ask the dealer what
>their policy is.  If they insist on keeping your board tell them it's
>illegal and maybe they will relent.  You might also try removing your
>board before you go in or just buy the upgrade kit and install it
>yourself.  Apple might have had a case with the ROM upgrades that the
>programs in the ROMs were their property (even though the ROM itself
>belonged to you) but in this case I don't believe they have a legal
>case unless you agree to give up your old board as part of the deal.
>Any lawyers out there with some expert advice on this point?
>
>Rick
>ranger@ecsvax

Well, I'm not a lawyer, but I work at an "authorized dealer" and I know
that there is a big difference between the rom upgrade and the
motherboard upgrade.  The deal is that with the motherboard upgrade the
dealer can send the old mb back to apple for credit.  The couldn't
with the roms.  Now, you could ask the dealer to just outright get a
motherboard for you.  This will come from their "stock" rather than
"exchange" price list.  An example of this is a //e motherboard.  It
cost $499 (on the "old" price list) for the stock and $96 for the
exchange.  I think apple will give dealers a credit for returned mb's.
It will be a "swap" upgrade.

I just bought a second //e for $200 with monitor, two disk drives and
disk I/F, so I'm all set to upgrade.

Sean Kamath

UUCP:            {masscomp, decvax, allegra, psu-cs, ucbcad, ucbvax,
                  purdue, hplabs, hp-pcd, sequent, uw-beaver, ihnp4,
                  cbosgd, gatech, nsc-pdc}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET:           reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET
BITNET:          reed!kamath@Berkeley.BITNET
ARPA:            tektronix!reed!kamath@Berkeley
	         reed!kamath@hplabs
DECNET:          RHEA::DECWRL::"decvax!tektronix!reed!kamath"

US Snail:  Box 395 Reed College,
           Portland, OR  97202
           (503) 239-7458

These are not the fastest or best paths, just the easiest to use.
I hope they work. (Most notably the US Snail Service :-)