[net.micro.apple] Apple //gs shipping

c160-ed@zooey.Berkeley.EDU (Norman Fong) (10/23/86)

The //gs is finally shipping.  I got mines yesterday and stores should
be getting it now also.  Apparently the fanand HD20sc for it are
not shipping yet.  The until seems well built, the mother board
state of the art vlsi and smt components.  The software for it seems
non-existent.  (Are there any released programs yet?)
Disk //'s work fine, Novation Applecats work ok, (even the 212
card can still work ok in slot 3!).  Applied engineering is
shipping their gsram cards.  I have a gsram and have no problems
yet wish that the card would come with more software that just a
damn memory checker.  The prodos 16 software seems to take a
year and a half to load on the 3.5" disks.  The control panel
has tons of options (Lots of "poweruser" options for keyboard/mouse
configuration).  The control panel screws up some programs though.
In the "desktop", i selected the contrl panel, changed a few options
and when I returned to the desktop, all the fonts were messed up!
Guess it will be a while before software advances to this hardwares specs.
Are there any languages shipping? ie. is TML pascal shipping or
betas of APW from APDA?  Switching from //gs to // mode seems transparent,
is this the case?  Can one exploit the //gs features from Applesoft, or
do we have to wait for a new basic.system16?

Norman Fong
c160-ed@ucbzooey.EDU

ee161abt@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU (Grobbins) (10/24/86)

In article <690@zen.BERKELEY.EDU> c160-ed@zooey.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Norman Fong) writes:
>... The prodos 16 software seems to take a
>year and a half to load on the 3.5" disks.

Remember, ProDOS 16 v1.0 is nothing more than ProDOS 8, with a shell
to convert ProDOS 16-format calls into ProDOS 8-format calls.
It'll be a while before that situation changes.

>Are there any languages shipping? ie. is TML pascal shipping or
>betas of APW from APDA?

C'mon, the miniassembler is built in, what other programming
tool could you really want?

Grobbins.