[net.micro.apple] Early ][ Upgrades

SECRIST%OAK.SAINET.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA (11/01/86)

From:    <SECRIST%OAK.SAINET.MFENET@LLL-MFE.Arpa>   (Richard C. Secrist)
Date:    Sat,  1-NOV-1986 11:31 EST
To:      INFO-APPLE@BRL.ARPA

Well, the draw-back with the ][, ][+, and //e upgrades is that you just
swap the motherboard and keep using the same old keyboard from what I
understand (is this true everyone ?).  This means a //e can get by, but
that a ][ or ][+ still would be stuck with the ancient keyboard (I own
an ancient ][ and a //e).  Another problem with ancient ]['s that "real"
][+'s don't have is that the old ]['s use a keyboard encoder chip which
is 1) different, and 2) out-of-production.  So you'd almost certianly have
to replace the old ][ keyboards.  Outside of that, you're talking wholesale
motherboard upgrade, and since the power supplies are the same I think
you'd be in fat city.  But when you add it all up, it still seems like
unless you ALREADY have a mouse and a Unidisk that the upgrade is a LOSE
and you should just sell you old stuff [what are you gonna use all those
cards for now, anyway] and/or just buy the //gs outright and get the nice
detachable keyboard and all of that rot (and get back some desk real estate
that you'll need to abuse your mouse with).

rcs