[net.micro.apple] Apple ][

ins_aeas@jhunix.UUCP (Earle A .Sugar) (10/29/86)

I have read postings concerning Apple accepting trade-ins of //e boards
towards a //GS.  I have an early (I mean REAL early, serial #2047, 1977 vintage)
and I would like to trade it in for a //GS.  Does the deal for the //e apply to
original ][s also?  Or, is the computer worth more as an antique?  It has the
original 'red book' manual complete with hand-drawn diagrams by Woz and
a complete source-code listing of the monitor rom, 'sweet-16' interpreter, and
mini-assembler inside.  Of course, the machine has been upgraded since
it came out of the factory.  Ever try to run DOS with 4k on the board?

ag0@k.cc.purdue.edu (Colin Jenkins) (11/02/86)

In article <3859@jhunix.UUCP>, ins_aeas@jhunix.UUCP (Earle A .Sugar) writes:
> I have read postings concerning Apple accepting trade-ins of //e boards
> towards a //GS.  I have an early (I mean REAL early, serial #2047, 1977 vintage)
> and I would like to trade it in for a //GS.  Does the deal for the //e apply to
> original ][s also?  Or, is the computer worth more as an antique?  It has the
> original 'red book' manual complete with hand-drawn diagrams by Woz and
> a complete source-code listing of the monitor rom, 'sweet-16' interpreter, and
> mini-assembler inside.  Of course, the machine has been upgraded since
> it came out of the factory.  Ever try to run DOS with 4k on the board?

I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't dream of selling the above
machine, and you may be right- it might pull in more bucks as an antique.

Besides that though, I sincerely doubt that the upgrade will function properly
in an old II (or  even II+).  For starters the //e keyboard has upper and lower
case, not to mention the function keys (although a joystick could substitute
for function keys).  Probably Apple wants the //e motherboards so their roms
can be destroyed.  They probably would want to keep hold of the MMU and IOU
chips as they are custom built.  I would guess that they are not too concerned
about roms from machines as old as yours.  Beyond that, if Apple was planning
to recover chips from the old //e motherboard, the chips in your Apple II are
probably useless to them.  Still, I would suggest you go to the source and
write to Apple directly.

All that aside, *I* wouldn't part with your machine- that's a piece of history.

					Colin