[net.micro.apple] IIGS

D7314@UWAVM.BITNET (10/22/86)

Date:         Tue, 21 Oct 86 14:34 PDT
From:         Patrick Ryan <D7314@UWAVM>
Subject:      IIgs

This month's Computer Shopper has a good article about the IIgs, with lots of
technical stuff about it (by Don Lancaster... those who know him need read no
more...)  It includes compatibility, DOS's, why you should keep that IIe board
and a lot, lot more.

                    Patrick Ryan

CDTAXW@IRISHMVS.BITNET (11/01/86)

I am running a IIGS with an Applied Engineering
GS-RAM card (1.5 meg), Profile 5 meg (slot 7)
and SSC (slot 2), and would be willing to answer
any comparision questions (to souped-up //e performance),
software compatibility (AppleWorks V2.0 works great), etc.
(this, of course, dependent upon software available to
me around here).  The machine ships without a system
disk (so far), but I got an alpha release of ProDOS 16,
which includes a Mac-like program launcher, but no Finder.
The machine boots under ProDOS 16, and will reset itself
under ProDOS 8 if it is running an older application.  If
it is a ProDOS 16 application (such as PaintWorks Plus),
it remains in the ProDOS 16 system.

Mark

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (11/02/86)

OK, did you get it from a regular dealer or are you a software developer
or something such?  The dealer(s) here in Minneapolis still can't quote
a delivery date.  (and, since yours didn't come with any real system
software, were you promised that it would show up eventually?  when?)

CDTAXW@IRISHMVS.BITNET (11/02/86)

Some clarification on an earlier message.  The ONLY disk Apple
is currently shipping with the GS is a Guided Tour (Pascal based).
They ARE NOT shipping early versions of ProDOS 8 or ProDOS 16.
I got those from a dealer demo disk which most dealers will
not normally let a customer work with.  The Guided Tour is
not worth a whole lot since it is Pascal based and totally
isolates the user from any command level work - monitor or
Applesoft prompt.  Any software currently being run on the
GS by most folks will be the version that came with their
//e or //c application.  What I got from the demo disk was
ProDOS 16 V1.0 Alpha 15 dated 15 SEP and ProDOS 8 V1.2
Beta 3 dated 7 SEP.  The launcher that came with ProDOS 16
is version 1.0 and is simply a list of file and folder names -
unlike Mouse Desk.

Mark