[net.micro.apple] IIGS Sound Output

mcgurrin@MITRE.ARPA (Michael Mcgurrin) (10/30/86)

I'm curious about the output power for the IIGS.  I've seen the port labeled
headphone in some magazine diagrams, and I understand the BOSE speakers
have a built-in amp and are designed for use with things like Walkmen.
Does the output have enough power to drive a small speaker or will I have
to run it through an amp first?  Thanks!

beilke@puff.wisc.edu (Matt Beilke) (11/01/86)

In article <8610301956.AA09191@mitre.ARPA>, mcgurrin@MITRE.ARPA (Michael Mcgurrin) writes:
> I'm curious about the output power for the IIGS.  I've seen the port labeled
> headphone in some magazine diagrams, and I understand the BOSE speakers
> have a built-in amp and are designed for use with things like Walkmen.
> Does the output have enough power to drive a small speaker or will I have
> to run it through an amp first?  Thanks!

     As you have stated, the BOSE speakers do have a built-in amp (You do
not have to purchase these from Apple, you can get them directly from
BOSE.  They are the Room Mate (tm) line ).  Since, these do have a built-in
amp I would tend to very strongly think that an amp would be required
for any speakers larger than a set of earphones.

    -Matt

 UUCP  --> ...!{ihnp4,topaz,seismo,harvard}!uwvax!puff!beilke /kirk!diskman
                                                       \uhura!scotty!diskman
							      \checkov!diskman
     //       ARPA  --> beilke@puff.wisc.edu
    //        CSNET --> beilke%puff.wisc.edu@csnet-relay
\\ // AMIGA   UUCP  --> ...!{ihnp4,topaz,seismo,harvard}!uwvax!puff!beilke
 \//  RULES!  USPS  --> Matt Beilke, 451 Witte B, Madison, WI 53706, USA

wa@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (11/03/86)

	I saw/heard a demo of the Bose speakers at Lechmere about a week ago,
and they were excellent!  They were selling for $229 and came with a built-in
amplifier and mounting brackets (brackets may have been extra).  The demo
included a pocket AM/FM radio and a pocket CD, and the volume, even in a large
noisy store, was everything a reasonable person could desire -- the sound
quality was even more so.  The speakers were about 6x6x9 inches -- I would
think they'd be a first-rate solution for computer-generated sound problems.

					Bill