[net.micro.apple] Apple //c ROMs

nakada@husc4.harvard.edu (paul nakada) (10/30/86)

[EAT ME  EAT ME  EAT ME  EAT ME  EAT ME  EAT ME  EAT ME ]

As an owner of a very early release of the Apple //c, I have now come
across the need to upgrade to the new 3.5 unidisk.  As a result of
having bought an early version, though, I have the "old" ROMS which
do not support unidisk 3.5 or any of the other goodies on the new
32K ROMs..  Does anyone know where I can get them.. I am thoroughly
tired of the runaround I get at "authorized apple dealers" who look
puzzled at the thought of "OLD" apple //c roms..
Thanks....  Paul Nakada

nakada@husc4.UUCP
nakada@harvsc4.BITNET
!harvard!husc4!nakada.UUCP

rms@meccsd.UUCP (Roger M. Shimada) (10/31/86)

In article <550@husc6.HARVARD.EDU> nakada@husc4.UUCP (paul nakada) writes:
>As an owner of a very early release of the Apple //c, I have now come
>across the need to upgrade to the new 3.5 unidisk.  As a result of
>having bought an early version, though, I have the "old" ROMS which
>do not support unidisk 3.5 or any of the other goodies on the new
>32K ROMs.

For starters, if you buy a Unidisk 3.5 your dealer is supposed to give
you a free //c upgrade.  (Read: swaps your motherboard out, and isn't
supposed to tell you that.)  I have an old motherboard too, and this
annoys me because if you have an old //c, you could: 1) cut a solder
joint, 2) make a solder bridge, and 3) replace a ROM, and poof!  The
//c can talk to a 3.5.

However, you should consider a dealer trade because new //cs have the
facility for the //c 1 Meg card.  (These newer //cs can be identified
by a platinum keyboard and/or case.  (Apple still has white cases
left.))  Thus the //c is now on its fourth major revision.  To check
for a newer motherboard easily, turn on the //c and type "pr#4".  It
will respond with "UNABLE TO START UP FROM MEMORY CARD" if it's the
latest //c.

Roger Shimada
ihnp4!meccts!rms

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (10/31/86)

In article <550@husc6.HARVARD.EDU> nakada@husc4.UUCP (paul nakada) writes:
>I am thoroughly
>tired of the runaround I get at "authorized apple dealers" who look
>puzzled at the thought of "OLD" apple //c roms..
>Thanks....  Paul Nakada

I suggest you make a copy of this and take it to you dealer.  This is
for everyone who might ever have this problem.

Tell your dealer to look in his "Apple Service Programs", section
"product notices".  The current rev is 8/1/86

On page 8.1.2:

Apple IIc, ROM Upgrade for UniDisk 3.5 - ODL660   (Anounced May 86)

A new moniter ROM is required in order to utilize the a UniDisk 3.5 with
an Apple IIc.  Apple IIc systems have serial numbers like F605XXX.  NOTE:
Those systems with the first three numeric characters higher than 605
contain the new ROM.  These systems do not require an upgrade to be
campatible with UniDisk 3.5.  For example, F606XXX indicates a system
containing the new ROMS.  These systems are also identified by this icon
label on the back panel: [Apple left it out :-)]

Customers who purchased Apple IIc systems with serial numberrs lower than
F6055XXX and who purchase the UniDisk 3.5 require a ROM upgrade.
Exchange the customer's logic board with an upgrade service board free
of charge.

You will be reimbursed for this exchange as a warranty transaction.  To
obtain reimbursement, submit serial numbers of both the Apple IIc and
the UniDisk on an SRO stating the authorization code "ODL660" on the
OTHER line in the warranty information section.

NOTE:  The Service Stock upgrade program announced at product
introduction has expired.

I suggest that Authorized Apple Dealers read this section more often,
rather than concentrating on sales alone.  Also, to the cutomer, it is
often very helpful to talk to the technician, not the sales rep, as the
technician is much more like to understand intelligent questions (well,
maybe you better edit this a little :-))

Sean Kamath

UUCP:            {masscomp, decvax, allegra, psu-cs, ucbcad, ucbvax,
                  purdue, hplabs, hp-pcd, sequent, uw-beaver, ihnp4,
                  cbosgd, gatech, nsc-pdc}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET:           reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET
BITNET:          reed!kamath@Berkeley.BITNET
ARPA:            tektronix!reed!kamath@Berkeley
	         reed!kamath@hplabs
DECNET:          RHEA::DECWRL::"decvax!tektronix!reed!kamath"

US Snail:  Box 395 Reed College,
           Portland, OR  97202
           (503) 239-7458

These are not the fastest or best paths, just the easiest to use.
I hope they work. (Most notably the US Snail Service :-)

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (11/05/86)

> having bought an early version, though, I have the "old" ROMS which
> do not support unidisk 3.5 or any of the other goodies on the new
> 32K ROMs..  Does anyone know where I can get them.. I am thoroughly
> tired of the runaround I get at "authorized apple dealers" who look
> puzzled at the thought of "OLD" apple //c roms..
> Thanks....  Paul Nakada

Paul,

The motherboard upgrade is free when you buy the new drives, if you
need the new board.  If your "Authorized Apple Dealer" doesn't know
that, tell him to call and find out.  Then make them give you your
new motherboard.