[net.micro.apple] IIGS Analog RGB

Hewett@HI-MULTICS.ARPA (10/21/86)

I have an Amdek 600 I currently use with my IIe (via Video-7 card).
Will I be able to use this monitor directly into the IIGS RGB port?

Thanks...  Bill Hewett MA08

Hewett@hi-multics.arpa (10/27/86)

Need a definitive answer ASAP please!

Will I be able to use my Amdek 600 RGB monitor directly into the IIGS
RGB port?

Thanks, Bill Hewett Hi-Multics (617)969-0250

Hewett@HI-MULTICS.ARPA (10/30/86)

I really need an answer folks.  Will I be able to use my Amdek 600 RGB
monitor (I currently use on my IIc with a Video-7 adapter) directly into
the IIGS Analog RGB port?????

Thanks.................  Bill Hewett -at HiMultics (617)969-0250

mbrookov@udenva.UUCP (mbrookov) (11/07/86)

In article <861029222455.768156@HI-MULTICS.ARPA> Hewett@HI-MULTICS.ARPA writes:
>I really need an answer folks.  Will I be able to use my Amdek 600 RGB
>monitor (I currently use on my IIc with a Video-7 adapter) directly into
>the IIGS Analog RGB port?????
>
>Thanks.................  Bill Hewett -at HiMultics (617)969-0250

I work for a computer store in Westminster, Colorado.  We carry IBM, Apple
and Amiga.  The Amiga has simular graphic capabilities as the GS, and what
happens with other RGB monitors is the monitor maps the 4096 colors to one
of the colors that the monitor can display.  So instead of getting shades
of red it would display red.  any program that depends on lots of different
shades of colors would not display correctly.  I have not tried the GS but
plan to eventually. (the manager is afraid I will blow it up)  I think it
is a safe assumption that the //GS will have the same problem.

                               Matt Brookover

news@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Usenet netnews) (11/08/86)

From: lyles@tybalt.caltech.edu (Lyle N. Scheer)

In article <2346@udenva.UUCP> mbrookov@udenva.UUCP () writes:
>In article <861029222455.768156@HI-MULTICS.ARPA> Hewett@HI-MULTICS.ARPA writes:
>>I really need an answer folks.  Will I be able to use my Amdek 600 RGB
>>monitor (I currently use on my IIc with a Video-7 adapter) directly into
>>the IIGS Analog RGB port?????
>>
>>Thanks.................  Bill Hewett -at HiMultics (617)969-0250
>
>I work for a computer store in Westminster, Colorado.  We carry IBM, Apple
>and Amiga.  The Amiga has simular graphic capabilities as the GS, and what
>happens with other RGB monitors is the monitor maps the 4096 colors to one
>of the colors that the monitor can display.  So instead of getting shades
>of red it would display red.  any program that depends on lots of different
>shades of colors would not display correctly.

 The monitor you are talking about has to be a Digital RGB.  With Digital,
the colors will not work correctly(Digital RGB just cannot handle all those
shades).  On the other hand, an Analog RGB will work correctly.  Being an
Amiga owner with a Digital RGB/composite/tv, I know all about this(say, does
anyone know how to rewire digital to analog???).  Therefore, if your Amdek is
Analog, you will have no problems.

> I have not tried the GS but
>plan to eventually. (the manager is afraid I will blow it up)  I think it
>is a safe assumption that the //GS will have the same problem.

It is not the GS's fault... But you are correct, with the monitor you tested,
you will have that problem.

>                               Matt Brookover

					Wonko the Sane
					(ex Apple ][+ owner,