[net.women] response from mbets

mbets (05/06/83)

Relay-Version:version B 2.10 gamma 4/3/83; site mhuxt.UUCP
Date:Fri, 6-May-83 15:50:42 EDT

regarding sexism in the English language:

	1.  I am not angry.
	2.  Generalizations are dangerous.  Of course I
            don't think every one who uses terms such as
	    chairperson feels guilty.  I was merely making
	    a point, which is, to reflect on your actions.
	    Why do you do what you do?  Has your attitude
	    really changed?
	3.  Using the term Black rather than Negroe has
	    nothing to do with changing the English
	    language.  It is merely a label and does
	    not prove a change in attitude but does
	    prove that you wish to conform, please,
	    label, or all of the above.  How many times
	    during the day do you find it necessary to
	    use the term Black?  And by the way, if you
	    do use the term Black to describe someone
	    do you also use the term white to describe
	    someone, or is it assumed that, unless
	    otherwise stated, the person is white?
	    Hardly a change in attitude!
	4.  You are welcome, trb.
	5.  Thank-you for the recommendations, jj (did
	    I do it right this time?).

	Also, my proposal (so it doesn't sound like I'm
just griping) to change the attutude toward women is
education, awareness programs and lots of understanding from
all of us.  And stop making women painfully aware of the
fact that you consider them different by altering your
behavior (speech and action).

				Thanks for the mail
				pyuxjj!mbets