[net.women] imported from net.singles

flink@umcp-cs.UUCP (12/04/83)

These two articles might do some good here, too.
------------------------------
From: flink@umcp-cs.UUCP (Paul Torek) (that's me)
Newsgroups: net.singles
Subject: (reply to lisa)

Here's some quotations from lsc's article, with my comments bracketed.

	I have men who are pals who complain about the traumas of getting up
	the nerve to ask someone out and how it's always the man who has to
	go to the effort and who say how nice it would be to be asked out
	sometime. [HEAR, HEAR!] ... I wonder if it isn't more frightening to
	be the one asked out, to have the situation out of your control (she
	buys the tickets, she drives the car).  Any guys done any
	soul-searching about this?

ARE YOU CRAZY??!!  The one asked out has the situation out of his/her
control??  More like the other way around:  the ask-er pro-poses, and the
ask-ee dis-poses.  I ask you, who has more power in the situation?  And while
we are engaging in a little rhetorical battle of the sexes, let me wonder out
loud.  A lot of women claim to be liberated, but don't take on an equal
share of the burden of initiating a relationship.  Could it be that they
don't want to give up the power that goes with being the one who dis-poses?
Any gals done any soul-searching about this?

			Only half :-), Paul Torek, umcp-cs!flink

From: woods@hao.UUCP

Paul, I couldn't agree with you more. ...  Accurate, if a bit prejudiced (as
I am) from the point of view of the pro-pos-eur (normallly men -- how I
would *love* to see that change -- should I have co-posted this to
net.women?)

		       GREG
--
{ucbvax!hplabs | allegra!nbires | decvax!brl-bmd | harpo!seismo | ihnp4!kpno}
       		        !hao!woods