[net.women] Women drs. -- Mild Flame

avi@pegasus.UUCP (02/02/84)

I agree thouroughly with Rob Mitchell's comments. Everyone should go to a
Physician (or Dentist or Plumber ....) that suits their general needs.
Choosing on the basis of sex, religion, name .... is usually silly. I am
generally supportive of many of the things in the "feminist" movement that
relate to HUMAN rights, but get turned off by militancy of this sort.

Currently, only about a quarter of Medical Students are female (at least in
the school I went to) and the percentage is even lower for established
practicing Physicians. If the 51-52 percent of the population (YES! women
are not a minority) that is female would all go to women Physicians, then we
would have many overworked women out there. Their suicide rate is high enough,
already.

I can understand if a woman prefers a Gynecologist that is female, or a man
prefers a male Urologist. I may even understand why you would choose a woman
as your neurosurgeon or pediatrician. However, in most  specialties, sex
should not matter at all. I found that I had respect for many of my
classmates who were female/male and lacked respect for others who were
male/female. There were increased pressures experienced by many of the
women, and some handled it well while others did not. Luckily, things are
changing (for the better) as the "teachers" are getting used to having them
around. They stopped showing as many "girlie" (pardon the expression) slides
in my anatomy class after one of the Professors started showing "Male
Models" as part of her lecture.

To anyone who does not know, "Avi" is a male name. I try to refrain from
writing to net.women, and refuse to write to net.women.only -- although I
disagree with the separatist premise of having any *.only groups on the net.
Newsgroups (in this anarchy) are designed to be about things -- not
restricted to people who lock others out. Anyone who can't deal with (well
intentioned) comments from "outsiders" should create a mailing list or
sponsor periodic conventions.
--
-=> Avi E. Gross @ AT&T Information Systems Laboratories (201) 576-6241
 suggested paths: [ihnp4, allegra, cbosg, hogpc, ...]!pegasus!avi