[net.women] Nothing ever happens to people unless they want it to

jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (01/13/84)

I've heard some amazing generalizations, but this one takes the cake.
If I'm shot by a sniper as I walk along some otherwise nondescript street,
I wanted it to happen? If I'm hit by a meteorite, I wanted it to happen?
If I'm vaporized in a nuclear holocaust, I and a million other people
wanted it to happen (and the few that survived were the only ones that
didn't)?

One may as well say,
"All women are sluts (No flames please. Blah, blah, blah, mystical
   nonsense. Leave it at that.)."

Seriously, what seems to be part of this is the idea that women don't get
raped unless they really want to. That's got to be one of the more pernicious
pieces of non(common)sense floating around these days.

Please understand, I'm not saying Randwulf is a horrible person, or anything
like that, but his statement really fries me.

                                          Still smoking,
                                               Jeff Winslow

rh@mit-eddie.UUCP (Randy Haskins) (01/16/84)

Okay, add the statement "for the most part."  I'll tell you
wnat exactly is in my head.  The first week I was in Boston
(God, it was 4-1/2 years ago), I was approached by what were
apparently homosexuals (this was before I was incredibly perceptive).
After that, I bought myself a knife that I intended to use if
I needed to.  Then, after a while, I realized that people
would try to keep their distance from me on the street.  Now,
I'm only about 5'9" or so, so it's not my physical stature
(well, I do weigh about 200 lbs, with an appreciable (though
not as much as I'd like) amount of it muscle, but I'm not
really awesome physically).  I realized that it was the air
I carried about me, my aura if you will.  I didn't need the
knife (but I still carry it, it's a useful tool), I just
needed the attitude.  My aura says, "Here I am.  You can
screw with me if you want, and you might even win.  But
I will be rutheless, and I will try to tear your face off
and pull your arms and legs out of socket and break all
of your bones.  I won't punch you in the face; I'll try
to gouch your eyes out."  I keep this frame of mind when
walking down the street, and I can see people trying to
get farther away from me on the sidewalk.  People talk
about "smelling" fear.  Well, I suppose that others can
smell the violence and rage in me (I'm indignant about
having to worry about getting attacked on the street).
I've spent four years walking the streets of Boston
(well, not stupidly), and I haven't had any trouble since
the first week.  I suppose that this approach isn't that
great for women, because the threat of tearing someone
apart is more difficult for a woman to project, but
this stuff can all operate on a sub-conscious level.
It's just the same as your parents always told you about
dealing with a barking dog:  don't let it know you're
afraid.  If you walk down the street like no one is
going to mess with you, then chances are no one will.
Oh, well, enough prosteletyzing (about the power of the
mind, which is the Buddha) for one night.  Think positive.

--
Randwulf  (Randy Haskins);  Path= genrad!mit-eddie!rh

jrt@hou5g.UUCP (Jaime Tormos) (01/17/84)

   WRONG!!!!   All kinds of things happen to people when they not only
don't want it to happen, but even when they take steps to make sure it
doesn't.  Yes, there are things that can be done to reduce the odds, but
when it comes right down to it, if a rapist/mugger/thief decides that you
are going to be his target, then there is not much you can do to change his
mind.  Some of the things that people attempt can even make the situation
worse, or force the attacker to use physical violence.  The attacker can
even select it's victim with distorted logic, i.e. "She thinks she's so
<whatever>, well I'll show her!"

   "Nothing.....unless they want it to" ??????  Explain to me how a six
year old child can 'want to be' molested, raped and murdered.

   No, the victim does not ASK to be a victim, except for a VERY few self
destructive individuals.  The attacker is like a wolf stalking prey.  He
hides and blends in with his surroundings so as to not scare off his
potential victim.  He selects a target, either because it is the 'best'
of his choices, or because he feels that he would be successful in his
attempts.  He can feel confident in being successful when the potential
victim appears to be weak, but he can also feel confident about success
when he is just plain confident.  He has succeeded in the past, nobody
has done anything about it, so go after 'better game'.

   Some muggers and thieves may be deterable through preventive actions by
each individual, however the rapist or sexual deviant does not perceive
things the way a 'normal' person does.  The rapist acts out of anger, he
acts from emotions that are distorted, he is not dealing with reality.  There
is no real way to avoid this person.  You can not reason with him,  you can
not stop something that you can not see.  Their are perceptual/conceptual
distortions inside this individual.  This person acts from what HE sees, not
from what people around him are seeing.

   Maybe this belongs in net.flame, but I can not believe that someone thinks
that victims only get what they ask for.

		(** FRODO **) alias hou5g!jrt

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) (01/18/84)

I can't help posting a reply to the above.  Did anyone watch 60
Minutes on the 15th?  There was a very interesting segment on rape
and the men who have been caught.  The premis of the segment was that
some of these men could not control themselves due to high levels of
testerone(sp) in their systems.  The men on the show were under treatment
to lower those levels through the use of a new drug.  Now I don't know if
the men were being truthful or not, but they said that they realized the
enormity of their crimes, and welcomed the drug treatments as it seemed to
lower their urges.  It seems that the drug used was El Dopa or something
like it.  In Texas, it was noted that some rapists were being let out
as long as they continued their treatment.

I am not condoning rape or any sex crimes on the basis of hormonal levels,
but am just interested in seeing other comments concerning this facet
of the problem.  If the body's chemical levels is a valid explanation
for behavior, what should be done to discover who has the problem and
what should be done to control the person?  I just thought I would
throw this in for discussion.

		T. C. Wheeler

saquigley@watdaisy.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (01/19/84)

Not only that, but most rapes happen between people who already know each
other.  I agree that one could act tough and try to show each and every
man one knows that one will not take any bullshit.  Do you realise what this
means?  spending your whole life putting on an act of being tough and not
letting your defenses down.  What kind of a poisonned existence is that?  It is
bad enough that I have to worry about acting tough whenever I'm out on the
street past curfew (around 5pm most of the time here).  If I have to act tough
and put on a protective shield every time I spend some time alone in a secluded
place with a member of the opposite sex, I just won't bother.  Men who suggest
that we do this don't realise what it really means: a lifetime of paranoia. Most
of us women who know something about rape do have some of this paranoia.  I for
one am very paranoid to the point that I feel very uncomfortable whenever I
find myself in a potential rape situation.  It is not fun.  I have just decided
recently to calm myself down, but it is not easy, because the threat is not
all in my mind.

Maybe you think that is a small trade-off, to be somewhat paranoid so as not to
get raped, but you probably don't realise the full implications of this on men.
Some of us view every man stranger or not as a potential rapist once in a while.
What kind of relationship between the sexes is that?  And then men wonder why
some women are so aggressive and so defensive in front of men.  Your suggestion
that we all "act tough" to prevent rape would make things even worse. Most men
do not rape, and do not deserve to be assumed potential rapists, but unless
rape becomes a less common crime, there is no way this will change.

No, no, it is too easy to tell us to act tough.  If we do and are still raped,
then it will mean that we will not have acted tough enough, won't it, and it
will still be our fault (sounds familiar..).  No, I just won't buy that.
The only solution is for you men out there to stop raping us!

rh@mit-eddie.UUCP (Randy Haskins) (01/21/84)

Oh, gee.  I can see that my first argument should've been better
formulated and reasoned out before posting.  I keep assuming people
look at the world like I do.  Okay, I'll try to sort of explain the
way I think of things (like anyone cares, but I'll try anyway).  I'll
also try to keep it brief:

First of all, I should warn you that I have a view of the world that
is based on metaphysics and believing in unseen forces so heavily that
most of you won't buy it.  There was a time in my life when I was
religious, then a time when I believed science could explain
everything.  That was before I knew how much science COULDN'T do.  Why
is it easier for you to believe in the electronic field that is
allowing you to read this than it is for you to believe in the psychic
field that surrounds me when I walk down the street?  Why are you so
convinced that there are only 5 senses?  There are things that have
happened in my life that I've tried real hard to explain with science
(before I came to a metaphysical view of the world), and I couldn't.
And it wasn't due to lack of understanding, because, in all modesty, I
am a hell of a good Generalist.  After a number of these things
happening, I finally decided that total science wasn't the answer.  If
people are interested in learning more about what I think, I would
prefer to do mail, since I've clogged the network enough with my
"religious" beliefs.

Now, about that psychic field.  I was discussing this with a very dear
friend last night.  She thinks that there are a lot of problems with
having violence integrated into one's being.  I guess she's right,
there are.  Among them, she cited, is that it might inspire a fear in
my friends that I might erupt and hit them.  She says she doesn't
worry about it because she can't imagine us in a situation where she
would make me mad enough to want to hit her.  (We know that we will
probably never be lovers for this and other similar reasons.)  I've
been thinking about an alternative to violence, but it's difficult
because violence doesn't scare me that much.  She says that it's
because I'm a guy and less susceptible to having the crap beat out of
me by other people than she is.  I think more of the reason is that my
second step-mother (from age 11 - 18) used to beat the crap out of me
on a regular basis.  After a while, I decided that my only defense was
to realize that it was "only pain," and it wasn't going to kill me.
You will probably argue that it's made me accept violence more, but I
will argue that it's also given me a high threshhold for physical
pain, which I'm really glad to have.  (I tend to suffer from bad
headaches from time to time, like right now.)  I also played organized
football for 5 years, which is just a form of controlled violence
(especially the way I played).  I suppose the point is you don't HAVE
to use violent thoughts to protect you when walking down the street,
it's just the most convenient method for me.  Since the violence is in
me anyway (and I'm not really trying to get rid of it), it doesn't
cost me anything to tap into it.  Psychic fields need power, and rage
is a very good source of power.  Love can be a source of power also,
but I've found it to be less harnessable (for me, at least).  It's
also more difficult to maintain in the face of adversity, unless maybe
if you've been brought up that way (but I've been brought up with lots
of hate, remember?).  You can apply the approach of Ben Kenobi in SW
IV, where he makes people leave them alone just because.  (Of course,
this did fail in one case, so he had to cut some guy's arm off.)  I
have successfully snuck up on people because I "willed" them not to
know I was there.  (I have walked past people's field of vision
without them seeing me, many many times.)  You could walk down the
street and make people not take particular notice of you.  What I
really do is walk down the street and wear an aura that says I am
basically a crazy person.  It tells them that there are easier targets
than me; like most people will cower in fear if threatened, but
it's entirely possible that I will attempt to kill them.  Most muggers
and their ilk really don't want to deal with people like this, and
I can't say that I blame them.  I suppose what I'm trying to say is
that you just walk down the street and make them think, "This one's
too little (crazy, strong, etc.), you don't want do anything to
him/her."

--
Randwulf  (Randy Haskins);  Path= genrad!mit-eddie!rh

dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (01/21/84)

I think that when people (it isn't just men!) who say that "a woman who
is raped must have been asking for it" are pointing out that the woman
does have some influence over whether she is likely to be raped.
That is, by itself, true.

However, these people seem to believe that it is the woman's responsibility
to do everything in her power to lessen those chances - to avoid walking
alone, to avoid dressing attractively - and that any man who rapes her is
simply sucumbing to his perfectly-natural desires.

Garbage.  Women should avoid deliberately provoking rape, or any other
unpleasant act against themselves, but that is as far as their responsibility
should go.  Men should be held responsible for their actions, and in the
case of rape the blame rests pretty squarely on the man unless the woman
clearly went out of her way to provoke him.

jsq@ut-sally.UUCP (John Quarterman) (01/23/84)

	From: saquigley@watdaisy.UUCP (Sophie Quigley)
	Date: Thu, 19-Jan-84 09:32:29 CST

	The only solution is for you men out there to stop raping us!

While I am in no way in favor of the opinion that most of the above
article was criticising (see Subject:), I have to take exception to the
line quoted above.

This sort of overgeneralization purely on the basis of sex is not
warranted.  Rape is not limited to a man attacking a woman.  Not to
mention I don't recall ever personally raping anybody and have no plans
to do so.  Statements such as the one quoted above are sexism
masquerading as feminism.
--
John Quarterman, CS Dept., University of Texas, Austin, Texas
jsq@ut-sally.ARPA, jsq@ut-sally.UUCP, {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!jsq

saquigley@watdaisy.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (01/23/84)

> 	The only solution is for you men out there to stop raping us!
>
> While I am in no way in favor of the opinion that most of the above
> article was criticising (see Subject:), I have to take exception to the
> line quoted above.
>
> This sort of overgeneralization purely on the basis of sex is not
> warranted.  Rape is not limited to a man attacking a woman.  Not to
> mention I don't recall ever personally raping anybody and have no plans
> to do so.  Statements such as the one quoted above are sexism
> masquerading as feminism.
> --
> John Quarterman, CS Dept., University of Texas, Austin, Texas
> jsq@ut-sally.ARPA, jsq@ut-sally.UUCP, {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!jsq

You quoted me out of context.  If you read the rest of my article, I was
not saying that most men rape, but that because so many do, women tend to
be suspicious of most of them, something which is not doing men who don't
rape a world of good.  Since the trend is so general - yes there are women
raping men, and the raped men's anguish is as bad or worse as the raped
women's - but the great majority of rapists are men.  As I don't want to
advocate women raping men, the only way to change this view that we have
that rapists are men and that men are potential rapists is for those men to
stop raping.
I am sorry if that sounded like I was attacking the majority of men.  I
admit the wording of this sentence was strong, but I feel very strongly on
this subject as I get very angry at the tought that someone would try to
rape me just because I am a woman, and I get angrier when someone suggests
that if I did end up getting raped, it would be because I didn't really not
want it bad enough.

I don't mind being called sexist.  Like most of us, I carry my baggage of
garbage which includes racist and sexist thoughts.  I don't like it and I
want to get rid of it, but it is not always easy.  I try very hard to be a
feminist and I think feminism is not about women making sexist remarks on
men.  The temptation is there, though and if I succumb to it, let me know
as you did.
				Sophie Quigley

jrt@hou5g.UUCP (01/24/84)

   Now I've heard it all.  Randwulf believes he can walk down a
street unseen by others, due to his "willing" them not to see him.

   Didn't "Bert" on 'Soap' have the same beliefs?  Well, granted he
had to wave his hands while he snapped his fingers, so I guess
randwulf has to be congratulated!.

   Course this also reminds me of the fairy tale of the wolf that
convinced a sheep that it was invisible.  The sheep became so confident
that he walked right in front of the wolf, who then gobbled him up.  I
hope that the 'all-powerful' randwulf doesn't get gobbled up because of
his pseudo-confidence.

			(** FRODO **) alias hou5g!jrt

p.s. I also STRONGLY urge others not to follow Randwulfs suggestions.  I
     believe it will take a bit of scientific mastery of 'inviso-powers'
     before I could rcommend his ideas.

ariels@orca.UUCP (01/26/84)

I dunno, I think Randwulf has got something there.  He wasn't saying
"invisible", but "not-botherable" (at least, as I understood it).

I've used the same method.  And I'm short and female.  I've found
that if I LOOK tough and ready to fight, and if my mind set says
,"I've got somewhere to go, so don't bother me and I won't bother
you."  That I can walk just about anywhere just about any time and
not get bothered.

This method does have it's drawbacks, though.  You have to psych up
anger, and it takes a while to dissipate the anger.  So if you
accept the premise that constant anger is not good for the soul or
body (anger being a high-stress emotion),  you have to find some way
to make up for the "psychic" pinches that you give yourself each
time you use this method.

I no longer use this method as often as I did in the past (I got a
car), but I still call on it when I feel that it will serve.  But
you do have to be ready to use that cooked up anger, not just drop
it and whimper should something happen.  Rapists and muggers look
for easy pickings, and unless you think your life is in immediate
danger (the schmuck has a gun pointed at you or a knife at your
throat), you could actually scare him off if you are tough and
confidant.

Ariel (Grrrr, don't mess with me) Shattan
..!decvax!tektronix!orca!ariels

edhall@randvax.ARPA (Ed Hall) (02/10/84)

------------------------
I don't think Sophie needs to back down from her statement implying
that many men are potential rapists.  From what I've seen it's very
hard to blame most women for worrying about this, at least in the
backs of their minds.

I'm going to have to dig through old copies of the LA Times to find
the reference (which I'll then post), but there have been studies
in which 1/3rd of a male college-aged population said they might
rape if they could be assured of not getting caught.  (As if the
victim wouldn't notice...)

Even if this figure seems a bit high, I suspect that there are few
women who have done much dating who haven't felt at least once
that they might be in immediate danger of being raped.  Of course,
in talking about it later they might hedge by saying that their
date was being a `bit too aggressive', or `wouldn't take ``no'' for
an answer'.

Such male behavior is considered `normal' in many circles.

We've sexualized violence in our culture; the evidence for this is
so pervasive that a lot of people deny that there could be anything
wrong with it.  (Television, cinema, magazines, popular music--any
mass media--shows our preoccupation with this.)  Sex is often seen
as a form of aggression.  And some of the more hostile men among us
rape as a result.  Others beat wives or girlfriends.  Not a
majority, by any means, but probably a good 10-15%.  (References
will be supplied for this, too--and there are a lot.)

No, John Quarterman, I don't think that just because women have
raped men in the past means that they should be equally worried (or
unworried, as you claim) as men.  The chance of a woman making a
violent sexual assault on me isn't much greater than that of my
getting struck by lightning.  But the odds of a woman getting raped
in her lifetime is variously put at from 1 out of 10 to 1 out of 3,
on the average.  Here in LA the figure is almost 1 out of 2. (Once
again, I'll provide references in a followup.)

		-Ed Hall
		decvax!randvax!edhall

jsq@ut-sally.UUCP (John Quarterman) (02/12/84)

The Subject: above, by the way, was never mine and I don't agree with it,
as I have said in a previous posting.  I'm leaving it there only for
continuity of the discussion.

	From: edhall@randvax.ARPA (Ed Hall)

	I don't think Sophie needs to back down from her statement implying
	that many men are potential rapists.  From what I've seen it's very
	hard to blame most women for worrying about this, at least in the
	backs of their minds.

She did not say or imply "many men:"  she said "you men," unqualified.
That is not at all the same thing.  That is what I was complaining about.
She acknowledged the difference when I pointed it out.  Why can't you?
Even if your figures of 1/3 of a college age population sampled saying
they would rape if they had a chance are correct, that does not mean
*all men* would do so.

	[details omitted:  see original posting]

	Such male behavior is considered `normal' in many circles.

	We've sexualized violence in our culture; the evidence for this is
	so pervasive that a lot of people deny that there could be anything
	wrong with it.  (Television, cinema, magazines, popular music--any
	mass media--shows our preoccupation with this.)  Sex is often seen
	as a form of aggression.  And some of the more hostile men among us
	rape as a result.  Others beat wives or girlfriends.  Not a
	majority, by any means, but probably a good 10-15%.  (References
	will be supplied for this, too--and there are a lot.)

I hardly think our culture has been the first to sexualize violence;
consider some traditional Moslem cultures.  Not to mention there is
evidence sex and violence are linked in the structure of the brain.
And it seems pretty clear that rape is an act of aggression using sex
as a means.

You might consider looking at violence committed by women, though
(for a reflection in the media, have you seen "Sudden Impact" yet?).
Some of the more hostile women among us rape as a result, too.  Not only
are there cases of rape of men by women, but there are cases of rape
of women by women, just as there are cases of rape of men by men.
That does not mean "all women" rape any more than "all men" rape.

	No, John Quarterman, I don't think that just because women have
	raped men in the past means that they should be equally worried (or
	unworried, as you claim) as men.  The chance of a woman making a
	violent sexual assault on me isn't much greater than that of my
	getting struck by lightning.  But the odds of a woman getting raped
	in her lifetime is variously put at from 1 out of 10 to 1 out of 3,
	on the average.  Here in LA the figure is almost 1 out of 2. (Once
	again, I'll provide references in a followup.)

			-Ed Hall
			decvax!randvax!edhall

I know the figures for rape of women.  Where have I disputed that?
You *think* you know your chances.  Where are your references?
Remember that rape of men by women was not even considered possible
until a few years ago and the chances of a man admitting it to the
police are quite slim.  Even rape by instrumentality has only recently
been recognized.  But of course everybody *knows* men have nothing
to fear from women....

Yet you are arguing with a straw figure you have set up, not with me.
Numbers are not the point:  Rape is a crime of violence; anyone can commit it.
But saying "all men" do is no more true than saying "all people" do.
Women are not innocent by virtue of being women and men are not guilty
by virtue of being men.  Down with stereotypes and pseudo-speciation.

I'd like to see you produce a quote showing where I said women should be
unworried about rape.  My contention was with Sophie Quigley's rhetoric.
As I said before, statements such as "The only solution is for you men
out there to stop raping us!" are inaccurate and counterproductive
seeing as they falsely accuse innocent people.  She knew what I meant, and,
as I suspected, she had only overstated her case in a moment of emotion.
I have no more quarrel with her.  In fact, I think her posting on suggested
rules for net.women was one of the best things I've seen on USENET for
insight, cleverness, and tact, and should promote useful discussions of
sexual politics more than most anything I've seen in this newsgroup lately.

I don't know who you are arguing with, but it's not me.
--
John Quarterman, CS Dept., University of Texas, Austin, Texas
jsq@ut-sally.ARPA, jsq@ut-sally.UUCP, {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!jsq

jsq@ut-sally.UUCP (John Quarterman) (02/12/84)

This is going to have to be a bit messy, involving quotes of quotes:
> and > > > is Sophie Quigley, > > is jsq.

> > >	The only solution is for you men out there to stop raping us!
> >
> > While I am in no way in favor of the opinion that most of the above
> > article was criticising (see Subject:), I have to take exception to the
> > line quoted above.
> >
> > This sort of overgeneralization purely on the basis of sex is not
> > warranted.  Rape is not limited to a man attacking a woman.  Not to
> > mention I don't recall ever personally raping anybody and have no plans
> > to do so.  Statements such as the one quoted above are sexism
> > masquerading as feminism.
> > --
> > John Quarterman, CS Dept., University of Texas, Austin, Texas
> > jsq@ut-sally.ARPA, jsq@ut-sally.UUCP, {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!jsq
>
> You quoted me out of context.  If you read the rest of my article, I was
> not saying that most men rape, but that because so many do, women tend to
> be suspicious of most of them, something which is not doing men who don't
> rape a world of good.  Since the trend is so general - yes there are women
> raping men, and the raped men's anguish is as bad or worse as the raped
> women's - but the great majority of rapists are men.  As I don't want to
> advocate women raping men, the only way to change this view that we have
> that rapists are men and that men are potential rapists is for those men to
> stop raping.

I did not quote you out of context:  the overgeneralization of your
statement made it a non sequitor with the rest of your article.
As I remarked (and as you quote me remarking), I read the rest of
your article.  Saying the great majority of rapists are men is
not the same thing at all as saying that all men are rapists,
which was the clear implication of your final statement in the
original article.  If you are going to say that all men are potential
rapists, you must also say that all women are potential rapists,
because some women do, after all, rape!  The numbers game you
are playing is no good:  what percentage does it take?

The only way to change the view that men are potential rapists and
women are not is to look at the facts and see what they imply.

> I am sorry if that sounded like I was attacking the majority of men.  I
> admit the wording of this sentence was strong, but I feel very strongly on
> this subject as I get very angry at the tought that someone would try to
> rape me just because I am a woman, and I get angrier when someone suggests
> that if I did end up getting raped, it would be because I didn't really not
> want it bad enough.

And I resent very strongly someone accusing me of being a potential rapist
just because I am a man, while excluding the rest of the human race from
the same accusation.  Rhetoric like that will not help your problem.
But you seem to know that.

> I don't mind being called sexist.  Like most of us, I carry my baggage of
> garbage which includes racist and sexist thoughts.  I don't like it and I
> want to get rid of it, but it is not always easy.  I try very hard to be a
> feminist and I think feminism is not about women making sexist remarks on
> men.  The temptation is there, though and if I succumb to it, let me know
> as you did.
> 				Sophie Quigley

People who admit (even to themselves) that they are somewhat sexist or
racist seem to be rarer all the time among those who are righteously
free of all that (or so they think).  I have no real quarrel with you:
I am merely attempting to point out some confused implications in your
articles.  I'd imagine we can all agree that rape is bad, after all....
--
John Quarterman, CS Dept., University of Texas, Austin, Texas
jsq@ut-sally.ARPA, jsq@ut-sally.UUCP, {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!jsq

edhall@randvax.ARPA (Ed Hall) (02/14/84)

--------------------------------
Sorry, John; I appologize, and confess to what was a bit of
emotionalism on my own part.

My reaction was simply to your statement that men are at danger of
being raped as well as women, which in context seemed to imply that
they should be just as concerned (or unconcerned) about it.  This
was probably a faulty understanding on my part, although I would
have rather you had made a clear distinction and said that women are
at considerably greater danger than men.

I still suspect that a man probably has considerably greater chance
of being raped by another man than by a woman.  And that the chance
of the latter is real but miniscule compared to the risk women face
from men.  But you are quite correct that the possibility of a woman
sexually assaulting a man is barely even considered, and would
probably show the same under-reporting.  And I am aware that it does
happen.

We have a violent society, and sexual violence is just a part of it.
And violence is not just a male behavior.  But I feel that male
violence against women to be such an important part of the problem
that it deserves special attention.  Also, it illustrates some of
the darker side of traditional male/female roles, and indeed looms
so large that no path to sexual equality can ignore it.

And this is, after all, net.women, not net.politics. :-)

I think a lot of us agree there is a serious problem.  I'll soon
provide some references for those who remain unconvinced.  But it is
very important to go beyond this realization and to begin exploring
solutions.  I hope this discussion can develop fruitfully, and with
a minimum of net-quibbling. (And I confess to a bit of the latter
myself.)

		-Ed Hall
		decvax!randvax!edhall

jsq@ut-sally.UUCP (John Quarterman) (02/16/84)

To Ed Hall-

No apology necessary:  anybody can overlook things.

Of course women are at greater risk than men:  the figures you bring up
show that.  I thought Sophie Quigley (among others) made a good enough case
for that and didn't really need any help.

Indeed, more attempts at solutions and less rhetoric was what I was after.

John
--
John Quarterman, CS Dept., University of Texas, Austin, Texas
jsq@ut-sally.ARPA, jsq@ut-sally.UUCP, {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!jsq

holmes@dalcs.UUCP (Ray Holmes) (02/23/84)

[]
	Of the women I have known closely enough to be able to comment
on the subjest, only ONE had not been raped at some point in time (and
she was 16 and so had some time to go).  Meeting a woman who has not
been raped is a rare thing.

					Ray

edhall@randvax.ARPA (Ed Hall) (02/29/84)

-----------------------------
> From: holmes@dalcs.UUCP (Ray Holmes)
>         Of the women I have known closely enough to be able to comment
> on the subjest, only ONE had not been raped at some point in time (and
> she was 16 and so had some time to go).  Meeting a woman who has not
> been raped is a rare thing.

I suspect that Ray's experience is perhaps just a bit unusual.  My
own experience is that about half of the woman I have known well
enough to talk about it have been raped or sexually attacked.  And
I hope that my own experience might be unusual as well.  How about
other netters?  If Ray's and my experiences are typical, then the
magnitude of this problem is bigger than I ever expected (and, frankly,
even the one-out-of-fifteen rate that is the lowest figure I have
found is horrifying to me).

		-Ed Hall
		decvax!randvax!edhall

brahms@trwspp.UUCP (03/01/84)

Of the women that I've know and have been able to talk to or would know
from other sources, I know of one that had been assaulted by a step-father
and another that the step-father wanted to assault but did not. If you
want, I'll count that as two.  Therefore, 2 of 20 have been assaulted.

			-- Brad Brahms
			   usenet: {decvax,ucbvax}!trwrb!trwspp!brahms
			   arpa:   Brahms@USC-ECLC