[net.women] Sophie's Apology

arndt@squirt.DEC (03/07/84)

This one's for Sophie!

I . . .ahh . . . apologize!  There! I said it!  I hope I was in time.

Please don't shove it Sophie.  People are callling me rude, cheap, and
nasty again.

(Does this mean that I can expect an apology from Ken Perlow? or old "agast"
and MAD?)

I didn't realize that you were such a delicate flower, Sophie.  What can
I say in my defence?  Perhaps an appeal to the universal human condition.

Seriously, I DO apologize to you Sophie, and to anyone else who might have
been offended at my untempered outrage at what appeared to me to be an
uncalled for attempt to cut off any debate on net.women that didn't fit
the pro-abortion mold.  What happens on net.abortion?  I mean where do
we move from there?  Maybe you could telll me and I could go there and
wait for you all.

If you were watching I had said that I didn't want to continue the debate
(it wasn't really a debate, I felt like it was me talking to a bunch of
mental leptosomes- opps, sorry again)

Are you happy now Scott?  No I guess not.  Why couldn't I just have written
a straight serious apology?  Sigh!

Flash!  To Steven Bellovin!

Hi there Steve.  You're ok in my book.  I hope that doesn't make you feel
bad.  What I mean is that I revere you for having set up Netuse.

But may I ask what you mean when you say ". . . the net as a whole . . ."
made the decision to move to net.abortion?  First, from Sophie's message
it appeared to me that it was an action SHE took on her own.  Second,
what happened to me?  Am I a part of the net?  I never heard about any
decision (I heard some requests) to move.  I would have been in favor
of such a move if I had been asked.  The proof I offer is that I had
already said (on record) that I didn't want to continue the subject.

"My apologies for your lack of perspective on the question,. . ."

What the heck are you talking about?  Is it English?  Are you apologizing
TO me FOR me?  What question?  Abortion or the move?

I don't need any assurances that problem of abortion(if that is the question
you mean to reference) has been around for a long time.  I already believe.

bye

saquigley@watmath.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (03/07/84)

The subject should be "Apology to Sophie" not "Sophie's apology" because for
once, I do not have to apologise for anything... (:-))

The only reason I posted the article urging people to move discussion from
net.women to net.abortion was that I was the one who restarted this discussion
in net.women for want of a better place to have it.  I felt that as originator
of this version of the discussion, I had some responsability towards all those
people in net.women who flamed at me for doing such a thing.
With the advent of the insulting message that preceded this apology, I think
that anybody involved in this debate is now aware of the existence of
net.abortion, so I feel that I have done enough advertising for net.abortion
not to feel responsible anymore if the discussion continues in net.women.

As far as giving intructions on how to conduct the discussion in net.abortion,
this is not my responsibility, since I did not create net.abortion;  Besides,
I've had enough being likened to Hitler.  The person who made such a comparison,
accompanied by cries of "heil Sophie" might be interested to learn that Nazi
Germany was the only jurisdiction in modern history which punished abortion
with the death penalty. (fact curtesy of CARAL)

				Sophie Quigley
			...!{decvax,allegra}!watmath!saquigley

smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) (03/07/84)

From: arndt@squirt.DEC
Newsgroups: net.women
Subject: Sophie's Apology
Date: Tue, 6-Mar-84 16:27:52 EST

	But may I ask what you mean when you say ". . . the net as a whole . . ."
	made the decision to move to net.abortion?  First, from Sophie's message
	it appeared to me that it was an action SHE took on her own.  Second,
	what happened to me?  Am I a part of the net?  I never heard about any
	decision (I heard some requests) to move.  I would have been in favor
	of such a move if I had been asked.  The proof I offer is that I had
	already said (on record) that I didn't want to continue the subject.

As I said in my (private) note, the net as a whole has been through
the abortion debate N times already (where N is quite large).  The last
time or two, a consensus was reached that tne *next* time it came up, it
should probably be given a group of its own.  As best I can tell, you're new
to the net; hence, my comment on your lack of perspective.  But unless you're
new to society, your tone is not appropriate.

	"My apologies for your lack of perspective on the question,. . ."

	What the heck are you talking about?  Is it English?  Are you apologizing
	TO me FOR me?  What question?  Abortion or the move?

I suggest you study rhetoric. -- and probably politeness.  If you're going to
quote a private letter of mine, I suggest that you include the entire text.

mcewan@uiucdcs.UUCP (mcewan ) (03/13/84)

#R:decwrl:-606800:uiucdcs:31600052:000:706
uiucdcs!mcewan    Mar 12 20:25:00 1984

    But may I ask what you mean when you say ". . . the net as a whole . . ."
    made the decision to move to net.abortion?  First, from Sophie's message
    it appeared to me that it was an action SHE took on her own.  Second,
    what happened to me?  Am I a part of the net?  I never heard about any
    decision (I heard some requests) to move.

The "net as a whole" made the decision to create net.abortion the way that
"the nation as a whole" elects a president - those who want to can cast a
vote (in net.news.group).

			The opinions expressed are my own and not
			necessarily those of any sane person.

			Scott McEwan
			pur-ee!uiucdcs!mcewan

	"Hitler was an idealist.""