[net.women] Sex prejudice, and static cling

stanwyck@ihuxr.UUCP (Don Stanwyck) (03/20/84)

STATIC CLING IS NOT A WOMEN'S ISSUE!!!!!

As a laundry doing male, who wears socks made of synthetics, polyester
double-knit slacks, etc., static cling is as much an issue of concern to
me as to any other laundry-doing or clothes-wearing person!

Suggestions that men are not interested, and/or only women care about static
cling, are SEXIST and biased.  They serve to advance the idea that laundry
is a woman's job.

The only subjects that even might be fit for net.women.only are those related
directly to portions of the female anatomy that male do not have, or to
styles which are strictly female (if there are any).  Examples might include
menstrual cramps, skirt length, breast cancer related topics.

The problem is that many of us are married men who are interested in these
very topics also, as we live on a day-in day-out basis with women who care
about these topics.  Certainly, if someone has a suggestions on preventing
cramps, good brands of hose, bad brands of bras - it affects some men!

Let's cancel net.women.only as there are NO topics which are of interest only
to women.  I didn't feel this way before the present discussion, but I have
decided that there is only prejudice to be advanced by keeping the group.
--
 ________
 (      )					Don Stanwyck

smann@ihu1g.UUCP (Sherry Mann) (03/21/84)

"Let's cancel net.women.only as there are NO topics which are of interest
only to women."

Net.women.only was not formed to discuss topics which are of interest
only to women.  It was formed so women could discuss topics which
are of interest to them in an atmosphere of acceptance, without the
put-downs and superior attitudes of some of the men contributing
to net.women.

The women who felt the need for net.women.only are the women who
should decide whether that need is being met and whether net.women.only
should be cancelled.

	Sherry Mann
	AT&T Bell Laboratories
	ihu1g!smann

stanwyck@ihuxr.UUCP (Don Stanwyck) (03/21/84)

>> "Let's cancel net.women.only as there are NO topics which are of interest
>> only to women."   [[me]]

> Net.women.only was not formed to discuss topics which are of interest
> only to women.  It was formed so women could discuss topics which
> are of interest to them in an atmosphere of acceptance, without the
> put-downs and superior attitudes of some of the men contributing
> to net.women.
>    The women who felt the need for net.women.only are the women who
> should decide whether that need is being met and whether net.women.only
> should be cancelled.
> 	Sherry Mann	AT&T Bell Laboratories		ihu1g!smann

Again, I call for the decease of the group.  There exists a mailing list where
people can do what they want.  Those who are not willing to trade ideas in the
marketplace, should not have a stall there.
--
 ________
 (      )					Don Stanwyck