[net.women] the seamstress and the tailor--consider the terms and their images

nerad@closus.DEC (03/28/84)

!libation

>Subject: Women's clothing?  WHY???
>
>If it is true that women's clothes are more expensive than men's, and not
>made as well, the paradox is even stranger -- don't forget that many women
>MAKE clothes, saving a great deal of money.  I'm under the impression
>(please correct me if I'm wrong), that it is primarily women's clothes
>(well, and children's clothes) that get MADE.  I rarely hear of a man, or
>woman making dress shirts, suits, and sports jackets for men, or even
>slacks.  (Sweaters are another matter!)
>					- Toby Robison

*sigh*  I am a professional woman.  DEC pays good consultant rates for my
time.  Tell me that I save money, when I am working a 50-90 hour week, and
have to spend time making clothes.  You have to value your time for home
activities at the same price as your worth in the marketplace.

The reason women and children traditionally have had their clothes made are
twofold:

    1)  Men have more day-to-day requirements in society to dress in clothes
that look SPECIFICALLY as though they are NOT HOMEMADE.  The technical
complexity of a dress shirt, suit, etc., is beyond the normal home seamstress
(or seamster? :-) The elaborateness of men's business dress stems from the
status of looking like you can afford, and care to have, someone professional
make your clothes.  (Note that this dates from the days before ready-made,
off-the-shelf men's haberdashery, and before "standard" sizes.  Men's fashions
still reflect an earlier era's snobbery.) Women were only expected to dress in
fancy, professionally made clothes, for the few overt social occasions that
were allowed them:  courtship, and socializing in the context of display of
their charms.  Therefore, while men's clothing styles reflect the desired
conformity of the traditional workplace, women's styles reflect the desire to
be noticed in their display.  In societies where the men must attract the
women in the courtship (several African cultures come to mind...) men's styles
are the more varied and outrageous, the better to attract unique notice--and
women's styles tend to be more subtle and conformant in their variation.

    2)  Associated with women's inactivity in the day to day workplace, their
time is not commercially valued, therefore they are considered to have the
"free time" necessary to sew.  Sewing is a complex skill.  It takes a good
investment of time, a cursory knowledge of design (and these days, mechanical
devices) at a minimum.  It takes the cost of materials, tools, AND LABOR to
produce a piece of clothing.  Unless one's time is not being recompensed at a
rate that makes it more worth your while to buy instead of sew your clothes
(i.e. how long will it take you to sew a dress--5 hours?  How much does a
dress cost in the store?  $60?  That's $5/hour you are "saving", if the
materials are free.  Are you paid more than $5/hour in the workplace?  Then
BUY the dress, if you can budget it!).  This is assuming that you do not sew
as a hobby.  I sew as a hobby, but I only sew things that I can't buy (like
period or sf/fantasy costumes).

    			There ain't no such thing as "free time,"
    			only time for which you pay yourself!

    			Shava Nerad
    			Telematic Systems (@DEC Ed. Svcs.)
    			{decvax, allegra}!decwrl!rhea!closus!nerad